Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:27:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Eccentric Miniatures as SAGA levy?  (Read 5739 times)

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
Re: Eccentric Miniatures as SAGA levy?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 06:44:29 PM »
I used Wargames Factory plastics for my archers.  They are mix of the Viking Bondi and Saxon Fyrd sets.  I think they look pretty good but the Saxons have really long necks that should be cut down a bit.

http://dspaintingblog.blogspot.com/2014/12/wargames-factory-dark-age-archers.html

Very nice paint jobs on those! I have some of the armored sets, my beef with the WGF minis as archers is that, to me, most of the right arms are just too awkward, and don't look like they're drawing/releasing a bow string.  Same problem I have with the GB Dark Age warriors - none are in the right pose to be archers (I don't mind if some of the archers aren't actively shooting, but I'd prefer if at least some were).

That's the main reason I'm now holding out for the Conquest minis.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 06:24:49 AM by Whitwort Stormbringer »

Offline DrunkenSamurai

• Bookworm
    • http://dspaintingblog.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 12:43:56 AM »
I admit they took some work to even slightly resemble archers but I think they are OK.  I will be interested to see what Conquest come up with.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2015, 04:21:53 AM »
Same problem I have with the GB Dark Age warriors - none are in the right pose to be archers (I don't mind if some of the archers aren't actively shooting, but I'd prefer if at least som were).

That's the main reason I'm now holding out for the Conquest minis.

Just as well the GB warriors don't come with bows, then. :D

Point taken, though. I just wonder if the particular way Conquest do sleeves will look much better on the upcoming archers, let alone allow much more kitbashing with other boxes than the one-armed GB figures. Among other things.

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2015, 06:31:12 AM »
I admit they took some work to even slightly resemble archers but I think they are OK.  I will be interested to see what Conquest come up with.
I think yours turned out very nicely.  To me, it goes to show that with enough care the WGF minis can look pretty darn good, despite the bad rap they get.

From the few preview shots we saw, I think the Conquest ones look like the best offering I've seen so far, even if they aren't perfect. Conquest sleeves are a bit funky, I suppose, but didn't bother me on the Normans. I'm not too worried about kit bashing, just means arms from other sets need to be clippe a bit above the elbow. It does mean the posing of the arms is less versatile, but then greater pose versatility often seems to also entail a number of awkward or unnatural looking poses anyways...

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2015, 09:35:10 AM »
I have made archers using GB plastics and Perry plastics. I think they work ok.
Sorry for the horrendous pic..

Offline Shirer

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 01:36:10 PM »
I have made archers using GB plastics and Perry plastics. I think they work ok.
Sorry for the horrendous pic..

I'd echo this - I've found that the GB dark age warrior bodies work well with Perry WOTR archer arms - albeit not all of the arms have appropriate sleeves, and the GB minis have to be chosen selectively or modded a bit due to the moulded left arms.

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 04:11:39 AM »
Yeah it's mostly the 3 out of 5 bodies with left arms molded against the torsos that turned me off the idea of using them as archers, but conversions with the other 2 out of 5 bodies seem feasible. Not sure I'd buy another box for that, though, and sadly I already used up all the ones I have as warriors.