Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:46:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690528
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Greens from Killer B Games **11/5/15 US Soldier 'Dollies'**  (Read 16474 times)

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
Re: New Greens from Killer B Games **11/5/15 US Soldier 'Dollies'**
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2015, 12:56:22 PM »
Now I must make sure my giant atomic ants are anatomically correct.

50s giant atomic ants or early to mid 60s giant atomic ants?  ;)

Offline Captain Gamma

• Mad Scientist
    • https://killerbgames.co.uk/
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2015, 01:04:44 PM »
 ;D
"Morning!"

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2015, 01:05:25 PM »
Well that's a relief, I would hate to have non historical troops to battle my giant mutant ants from space invasion game.  :D
Hahaha well yes true. Although they are intended for pulp I didn't want them to look too wrong in order to get crossover sales .Now I must make sure my giant atomic ants are anatomically correct.

I was always taught that if you're going to do something, do it properly. Seriously when that giant Tarantula is wading through your army men you don't want some tosser pointing out that they have the wrong rifles for 1955.

;)

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2015, 05:29:13 PM »
many years ago in my first foray into WW II there was a guy who got a kick out of the fact that I painted my U.S. Army with black boots instead of brown :-[
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2015, 07:00:39 PM »
That's the sort of thing that gets button-counters like me a bad name.  >:(

I've received a lot of help and constructive criticism over the years (and still do obviously) and in like measure like to pass on what I've learnt... which is not the same as letting everyone in earshot know someone 'got it wrong'... that's just being a dick.

;)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2015, 07:38:18 PM »
So, on a more serious note.
Would Barbie be the appropriate figure for "Attack of the 50 foot woman"?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2015, 07:49:39 PM »
So, on a more serious note.
Would Barbie be the appropriate figure for "Attack of the 50 foot woman"?

Nah, completely the wrong body proportions if you look at the original flick. Barbie is a weirdly elongated, sexless, bulimic freak,whichever way you cut it,

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Captain Gamma

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2015, 08:51:38 PM »
I've seen a Barbie painted up as the 50 foot woman somewhere.

Offline Valerik

• Mad Scientist
  • "...promiscuously brandishing a revolver..."
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2015, 11:36:05 PM »
Somewhat late to this party...

What I am thinking however is that I've equipped the soldiers with WW2 webbing but have armed them with a 1959 rifle. Hmm.. now I was after a generic B movie look but I don't want them to look too 'wrong'. Do you think its a passable sin or would this webbing and an M14 never ever be seen together under any circumstances?     

Highly doubtful.  Like having a BREN section equipped with Pattern '08 pouches or Slade-Wallace.

Carrying the magazine for the M-14 would be a pain with standard US WW2 webbing, unless you had the BAR magazine holders.
Better off modelling the M-1956 equipment IMO.

This.  The M-14 is a magazine fed rifle.   We used stripper clips & guides to load magazines, not the rifle.  The only US webbing pre-M56 that works for M-14 magazines are BAR belts, and the 30-cal carbine 4 30 round pouches, which hold ONE M-14, nothing else standard fits.  You could load your Garand belt with 7.62 stripper clips, but why would you?

To be honest if you wanted generic '50s troops you probably would have been better off with M1 Garands. The M-14 took quite a while to roll out as did the webbing. There are photos of National Guard soldiers at Fort Drum, New York in 1970 still wearing WW2 webbing, albeit equipped with WW2 weapons.

In the fall semester of 1972 our college ROTC arms room had brand new M-14s, '03 Springfields, with 16" bayonets,  for the drill team, 2 BARS, & and one M1919A4 LMG.  The M-14s replaced the last of the Garands that left that spring, & the rest of WWII stuff departed before I could wring 'em out.  Web gear issued with the M-14s was M-56, what was designed for it, already out of Regular Army service, replaced by nylon & soon ALICE gear.  We didn't have any M1 carbines though, gthey were probably all out working for a living.

I was always taught that if you're going to do something, do it properly. Seriously when that giant Tarantula is wading through your army men you don't want some tosser pointing out that they have the wrong rifles for 1955.

Seriously, that's just what tossers, button counters & stitchnazilike me LIVE for!!
Not being able to giggle, tee-hee, belittle or revile your opponents toys just sucks the life out of it for me...

Matching the webbing to the weapon is a smart decision, as is seeking crossover appeal.

Personally I'd love to see more minis with .30 cal carbines, M1, M1A1 & M2.

looks men

Bayonet lug & the original "banana clip" makes it post-WWII, & looks mean!! The indistinguishable M2 config is full auto capable.

M1 & M2 Carbines are the original "Poor Man's 'Assault Rifle' "  Every theatre in WWII, every US conflict through Viet Nam, every revolution or banana war since 1943 on one side, or the other or both,  beloved of cops n'crooks, prison guards & partisans, Bugsy Siegel was killed by one & Patty Hurst used one to rob banks.  These lil' rascals are ubiquitous, except behind the Iron Curtain.  Every continent, every conflict, and WAY over-represented in Hollywood '40s through to the '80s.  M1 carbines pop up in all the oddest places!!
A GI with one is useful most anywhere, anytime, ditto suitably garbed civvies in any post-WWI scenario.  With a 30 round banana mag & a stock pouch with 2 15s you almost don't even need webgear!!

Yeah, I'm a fan...

& would cheerfully snap up minis so armed, even though my  focus is earlier.

& for those of you who must metrify, think 7.62x33, just as German & Austrian Border Guards did until quite recently...

Valerik

War Baby fan from way, way back
BGR

"Fart in the devil's face"
Martin Luther

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2015, 07:56:26 AM »
I was surprised to read that initially USMC officers in Vietnam supplemented their 'regulation' M1911s with M1 carbines, as those same regs did not allow them to be issued an M14 like their men. Previously it was the issue weapon of NCOs, RTOs and everyone else who was not issued an M1 Garand... not the M1 & M3 smgs that most ranges feature. The ARVN preferred it to the Garand and so did the VC who bought or stole them from them between '62 and '65.

It gets a lot of flak for 'poor stopping power' on gun sites, but I wonder how much of that was down poor accuracy on the user's part. Certainly when the offer is made to don body armour and be shot by one, the critics fall silent.  

Al Pacino is most often remembered for his 'little friend' in Scarface, but he was propelled to fame with an M1 Carbine in Dog Day Afternoon.

I like them too. ;)  
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 08:02:54 AM by Arlequín »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2015, 09:48:53 AM »
Yeah Phillip Caputo mentions picking one up and using it in Vietnam in 1965. Has to be better than waving a .45 around.

It is a remarkably popular weapon. Britain used considerable numbers during the Malayan Insurgency in the late 1940s and 1950s. The prison services in Australia favoured it. One was used to kill a prison guard at Pentridge during an escape and the alleged killer was the last man hanged in Australia. It also featured in the Queen Street massacre which lead to the first ban on semi-automatic weapons. The dickhead who committed the crime, cut it down to fit under his clothes  not realising it operated on a short stroke principle he cut through the gas system making it, ironically, a single shot weapon.

As for the ballistics, well it's useful enough in the right environment and will do the job required but it's inferior to most intermediate rounds of similar vintage. Almost nobody else has adopted it save for the Dominican Republic in the form of the Cristobal carbine series. About the only other military style application of the cartridge that I can think of is the Taurus CT-30. I've seen the GTM, the motorcycle cops, carrying them in Rio and I think BOPE and the Shock Battalion have them in inventory but the express reason for having them is that the low power cartridge limits the prospect of collateral damage in an urban environment. That was the selling point, not that PMERJ actually worry that much about unwanted civilian casualties.  :(

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2015, 01:07:25 PM »
I've seen a Barbie painted up as the 50 foot woman somewhere.

By our very own resident madman Dr. the Viking.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=26828.0

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2015, 02:08:50 PM »
Ah yes I remember that one!  :D

So Captain Gamma... what's your thinking behind this range, the obvious MJ-12 references aside?

This is your moment to stamp on my dreams of a '50s/'60s Pulp range btw.  :)

Offline Captain Gamma

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2015, 02:11:27 PM »
Well worry not. It is indeed a 1950s/60s UFO invasion range! (So historically factual)

Offline Captain Gamma

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2015, 03:02:02 PM »
By our very own resident madman Dr. the Viking.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=26828.0

Ahh yes! There she is bless her. Good looking lass.