Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:21:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The generic tools thread.  (Read 79762 times)

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
Re: The generic tools thread.
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2018, 04:21:49 AM »
I've designed a group of airbrush stands, for some of my own airbrushes, for home FDM 3d-printing. They all print with minimal supports; in Cura I enable the "Make overhangs printable" option, and they need no supports at all.

The STL files are all on Thingiverse. They are for:

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2018, 06:05:37 AM »
Patriot, Badger and  Renegade, they all sound and look like Ground-to-Air missiles.

Great work there, Fitz!

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2018, 04:02:38 AM »
Here's what they all look like, mounted together on a piece of scrap mahogany I had lying around.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2018, 07:07:58 AM »
It's all  looking very professional, Fitz.

I  see you  also prefer the  fixed, top mounted containers on your airbrushes.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2018, 07:18:18 AM »
Nice work there, really cool.

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2018, 06:59:09 PM »
It's all  looking very professional, Fitz.

I  see you  also prefer the  fixed, top mounted containers on your airbrushes.

Yes, I prefer gravity-feed brushes for several reasons. I can use smaller quantities of paint, I can run the brush at lower pressures, and they're much easier to keep clean.

I have a bottom-feed Badger 150 that I used for many, many years, and it gave excellent service and is still running perfectly well, but it hasn't seen any use at all recently. I also have a bottom-feed Paasche single-action that I use as a small spray-gun with a 60ml jar if I need to spray a lot of paint fairly coarsely, but again it doesn't get much use.

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2018, 09:44:11 PM »

I knocked up a new airbrush stand to fit the Badger Sotar 20-20.

The STL file can be had at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3205896

Offline tom q vaxy

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2018, 12:36:50 AM »
I feel so plebian, but one of the most used tools on my bench is a block of hardwood about 1" x 2" x 3". I bang, burnish, cut on, prop-up, drill into, sand off-of, and generally abuse the living pitch out of it. mine is mahogany because it was the hardest piece I had, and I've used softer poplar, as well as some unknown rainforest exotic whose name I did not know.

it's no investment for a half-dozen of more, and if they "break", just grab another.

a more sophisticated version is the machinist's 1-2-3 block. I have perforated & solid. no forgiveness if used as above, but as a gluing weight or alignment tool which stays put, they're great. under 20$ from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/HFS-BLOCKS-PRECISION-HARDENED-0-0002/dp/B00OYK6G78/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1545870947&sr=8-3&keywords=machinist+1-2-3+block

or solid: https://www.amazon.com/HFS-BLOCKS-PRECISION-HARDENED-WITHOUT/dp/B016PFPMPG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1545870987&sr=8-5&keywords=machinist+1-2-3+block

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2019, 06:46:46 PM »
Also in the category of “dumb tricks”, I’ve figured out that baking parchment is far better than waxed paper for protecting surfaces from glue. If waxed paper gets stuck to a project, it often stays stuck and pieces tear off. Baking parchment just peels right off with no problems.

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2020, 12:15:40 PM »
Also in the category of “dumb tricks”, I’ve figured out that baking parchment is far better than waxed paper for protecting surfaces from glue. If waxed paper gets stuck to a project, it often stays stuck and pieces tear off. Baking parchment just peels right off with no problems.

I can't seem to find baking parchment, everywhere I go it's waxed paper or 'silly cone' coated non-stick baking paper! Unfortunately can't search in English where I am, where is parchment paper usually found and who uses it?

I have a generic tool to share:

I noticed Chinese brushes have a loop at the end so they can hang them upside down after use. And I read somewhere that paint pigments trickling down the ferule can case the brush to well not be pointy anymore so I did this the other day:
I drilled a little hole at the end of my brushes and looped a string in there so I can hang them upside down! Works great and looks really nifty on the desk  :-*

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2020, 02:20:59 PM »
I can't seem to find baking parchment, everywhere I go it's waxed paper or 'silly cone' coated non-stick baking paper! Unfortunately can't search in English where I am, where is parchment paper usually found and who uses it?

The silicone coated baking paper is what you want.

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2020, 10:58:56 AM »
The silicone coated baking paper is what you want.

Completely forgot about this! Thanks for the reply, I guess i have the right stuff then but i still have trouble with paint drying. Im wondering if heat and air conditioning have a big part to play in that though. Since i live in tropical climate.

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2020, 02:37:42 PM »
I found a Proxxon Hot Wire Cutter Under the Christmas tree 😀

Tried it out cutting the standard Blue insulation foam sheet we get in North America, works really well.

Knocked up some 5mm x 10mm ‘bricks’ and some 5mm thick sheet by just turning some pre-cut foam on it’s end and sliding through.

I will be ordering some Shifting Sands tools to go with it but until they arrive I think a piece of MDF or wood attached to the existing 90 degree bar and an extra clamp will give me time to practice.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2020, 05:51:51 PM »
That’s a great gift… you must have been nice this year  ;)

Did you know about this guy (a fellow Canadian); https://www.youtube.com/c/BlackMagicCraftOfficial/videos

He uses a Proxxon for all his projects and give some very useful tips on how to build things out of Styrofoam.
Cheers!
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2020, 01:40:38 PM »
I checked out Black Magic Craft and a few other sites to get reviews on hot wire cutters before asking Santa for the Proxxon.
Just placed an order with Shifting Sands for the Guide, Angle And window/arch templates.