Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:15:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689794
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Lost to the Zone  (Read 69937 times)

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Lost to the Zone – Oh Country Life...
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2015, 07:04:19 AM »
Revell had a 1/48 model (got one stashed away for the distant future   ;D)
Like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. distant future?
I see what you did there. ;-)

Grimm

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2015, 07:17:48 AM »
 :D
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Raxxus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2015, 08:58:39 AM »
Otherwise you could use the Smer 1/48 scale mi-2(There's one in clear sky)
I made one, came out like this...

Just as some inpiration..
Actually made two :P

Hope this helps a bit :)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2015, 02:32:34 PM »
I mean the Revell 1/48th Hind, ie this thing ...without the lascannons.

Heh, though I'm actually going to post the crashed Hind tonight. ...I'm being held up as there's gales outside and I can't get into my garden to pick up some twigs. Ah, or rather I can, but I don't want to put on a raincoat and get up off my lazy arse. ^^

@ Maspalio

I actually looked at that line for some Fallout stuff once. The guns are a bit chunky (which do for Fallout), but yeah they suit. Its a pity then that the shop who sells them near me charges silly prices for them (and I don't get my discount at it like the other gaming stores). Heh, though I have twenty Empress soldiers, half that in Eureka ones and that again in other company's ranges to work through before I should start considering buying more Stalkers (well if I was being practical that is, I'm already wanting to pick up more crap). :)

@ Raxxus

Is that a toy by any chance? OK I was tempted to buy another Russian gunship earlier as well, but I'm not sure if I want to really saturate the board with them (that and I have a ship to dump on there as well). That does look like a rather nice little kit however.

I'm not sure if it would be practical, but this was the other aircraft I was looking at. Hmn, not so much as a wreck, but to sit idle at a military outpost. Hmph, its just a rather smexy looking thing that I want to use it for some reason or other.

Edit; Oh and as a side note, I'm pondering what rules to use for the setting? 7Tv is what I'll be using for the first game, but I'm curious if anyone can point me in the direction of some. They need to be skirmish based and preferably focus on individual models rather than them moving as squads. I'd considering Skirmish Sangin and Force on Force, but I'm unsure how well they'd deal with the mutants and anomalies (which I'll be leaving out of my first game do as not to confuse the hell out of the players).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 02:36:14 PM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Raxxus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2015, 02:40:06 PM »
Well, its a snap-kit but still, as a piece of terrain its okay details wise.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Police-Mil-Mi-2-Helicopter-Scale/dp/B0056A17FQ

A blackshark could be cool but It would be better as a boss/ functioning vehicle(It might have a bit too many weapons though)
I love the look of that helicopter, mostly the double rotors and the small detail that it has ejection seats.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 02:42:17 PM by Raxxus »

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2015, 04:34:55 PM »
They're only in use by the Russian Air Force, but I think I could smidge the Ukrainians having one somehow. The rotors look like they're just asking to snap though, so maybe it wouldn't be quite so practical, I mean I'm already squeamish about the Hind's rotors breaking. The shop where I bought the Hind from is literally floor to ceiling aircraft kits so I'd probably find something next time I go there looking for an excuse to spend cash (...that logic explains all the unbuilt vehicle kits I have piled up of course).

I came across this image which is kind of interesting. What about passenger aircraft which were downed over the Zone? That'd be a cool piece of terrain, if I could actually find a 1/48th scale plane which didn't cost silly money.

Offline Raxxus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2015, 05:08:01 PM »
Or you could possibly mix it into some metro 2033 stuff, theres two crashed planes in lastlight, aswell as atleast one hind.

Ther rotors on the blackshark are made to snap(with some minor explosive help) seperating the rotors and thus enabling the use of the ejection seats (atleast I Think it was something like that)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2015, 05:31:27 PM »
Eugh, I was going to do Metro instead of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. originally, till I considered how difficult it would be to find reasonably priced 1/48th Russian subway cars. Always a future project however...

Here's the Hind then. Its just your standard older model one painted in Ukrainian colours. Ok there's the odd discrepancy with the ones in the game (they have box things above either wing), but meh, the military's using whatever it can find.

Its been sitting out for a while obviously, or someone's just not been looking after it. Originally I was going to have a few graves beside it, but thought better as I don't want to limit the narrative behind it (ie if the crew didn't die in the crash).

Now that and more fences have been done its only the ship that's left to finish as far as terrain goes, and I won't be touching that for a while. That means painting up more Stalkers I guess. I have about a dozen of them to be painted at the moment, so I'll see what I can do by Tuesday. Ah, and I'll also try and remember to bring a camera along to that game for once. :)

Offline .:Gunslinger:.

• Scientist
Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Lost to the Zone – Crashed Hind
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2015, 06:00:40 PM »
Excellent! It really looks the part! I think it could use more vegetation on the base though!

This thread is very inspiring! Sorry if I missed it and you posted already but what are you going to use for the ship?

Cheers

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2015, 06:32:06 PM »
When I go to a show in a couple of months I'll stock up on static grass. At the moment I'm running pretty low on the stuff and for some reason the shops about me have stopped selling it. Ideally the whole base would be covered, but that isn't practical for model placement unfortunately. So yeah, I'll come back to this later hopefully once I've dumped a load of cash at that one stall at the show which seems to sell just static grass (in like a couple of dozen different colours).

I'm using a Revell Vietnam US Swift Boat. What's an American military boat from the 60s doing in Ukraine? Hell if I know! ...Ok it would seem 1/48 scale boats are difficult to come by, patriculary in the size I was after, so that was honestly the only thing the shop had. Meh, it'll do and as a bonus will do for Fallout (just ignore that the base is painted a muddy brown instead of a sandy yellow).

Offline Raxxus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2015, 06:38:44 PM »
Well, you could do some metro2033, aslong as you do the Surface its pretty easy,lol with a few metro exits/entrances..
The Hind looks real nice! :)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2015, 06:46:36 PM »
Heh, see now Metro could be done with me just throwing in my Fallout miniatures along with my Stalker stuff. My friend's putting together a winter post-apocalpytic board actually and he wanted me to make some urban stuff for it, but I don't have the time now to work on someone else's project unfortunately. Ack, ask me again in a year when I have a few boxes of terrain and figures made. ;)

Oh right, and at any point have I mentioned that I totally want to play games in the DayZ setting as well? Its not a game I personally play (my internet connection sucks), but I like the aesthetic. I've been looking at images of that game for possible things to make. What? It just seems natural that if I'm making Eastern European terrain that I should mix that in with my existing zombies. Ah, so yeah, maybe expect to see some zombie games set there in future rather than being used along with my Fallout terrain like I've been doing currently.

I bring it up as I'm currently surfing DayZ images trying to decide which building to make next. I want another village one, but there's a lot to chose from.

Offline .:Gunslinger:.

• Scientist
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2015, 06:51:05 PM »
Thanks for the answer!

Concerning the grass on the base: in stalker (especially in the marshes around Skadovsk) there is often very tall grass and inbetween there are paths and such where there is no grass. this could work for the heli base: looks great and minis could still be placed.

Concerning the ship: I was browsing through the depths of the internet aswell for a suitable, usable scale and haven't found anything that I find convincing. I'm going for the back half of a boat by scratchbuilding I thing (the Skadovsk is broken in the middle, I wanna do something similar just without the front part...it could have been salvaged already or sucked in by an anomaly)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2015, 07:06:54 PM »
I'd love to have that sort of vegetation, but its finding someone who makes it. The little tufts of long grass I have there were me just cutting up a paint brush, but they were fidgety enough just for the few I added. If I could find someone who made long grass in similar clumps as the static grass I have it would be great. I'll be keeping my eye out this year at the two shows that I go to for decent vegetation. I can get away with it being a bit sparse with my Fallout stuff, but Europe's a whole lot livelier.

Yeah I could have gone a lot bigger with the ship. The one I have is about the same size of the Hind. Any larger, like a container ship, then you'd need to start considering having an interior and how it would be transported. An A4 sized sheet of plasticard is about my upper limit when it comes to terrain size for that reason. A tanker would be a whole lot larger. Hmn, I suppose instead of an interior it could be sunk into the ground a bit or just be the ribs.

I'm going for something like this. However in future I could make shells too, though building are probably much easier to scratch build than ships are.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2015, 07:36:54 PM »
This is such a cool project, Wyrmalla.  I like that you are actually thinking ahead to mixing genres - like my 'transition boards' that I made the go from the raw sienna base color I used for all of my Fallout terrain to the chocolate brown/burnt sienna colors I used for my Mars terrain boards, just so I start using both of them together.

Well played, sir.

:D
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."