Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:02:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 9
Guests: 486
Total: 495

Recent

Author Topic: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Lost to the Zone  (Read 69804 times)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Lost to the Zone
« on: December 30, 2014, 05:19:06 AM »

..Yup this one gets the fancy banner and witty title (courtesy of the hellish difficulty of a certain mod) like the other one. :)

As I feel that I aught not to go about continuing to paint up things without actually posting them here, its about time to throw together this thread.

Ah, yup, I've gotten myself side track and so here's another thread concerning a video game. What's here amounts to how much I've worked on since my last post in the Fallout thread (there's Empress models standing in for a few Freedomers are chucking about in that), uh, and hopefully I'll add to this as frequently as I do that (as in rarely...). Anyway, image dump time.

I'd hope that primarily what I'm using is stuff I've had a bit of a hand in putting together. To that end here's stuff that mostly has a bit of greenstuff on it. Just as there's more of them than what else I have at this stage that hasn't already been shown (...ok I really should repost that crap here for ease actually), here's some Bandits/Loners.

Those are all Wargames Factory WWII models, with mostly Secrets of the Third Reich heads and a load of greenstuff on each. Just a mish-mash of gear on each of them so they have a rather well worn appearance (not everyone's going to be toting about in a full Sunrise Suit. Nah look at that guy kitted in a US Desert camo jacket, Ukrainian Berkut trousers, an old ass Soviet gas mask and carrying a Rhodesian L1A1).

So there's those fellers. Meh, as I said I may as well post the stuff from the other thread too. Again then, here's a Loner/Freedomer, and as above similar parts were used (and he's still my favorite BTW).

He goes along with some better geared Freedom veterans. That they're based on Empress Americans and carrying AR15s I think hints at the Western backing that the faction recieves, ah, though that doesn't explain why they're using British camouflage on American uniforms ...its what came to mind first when I thought forest camo.

Besides them there's two snipers from the major factions. The Ghillie guy's based on an The Assault Group Taliban fighter, just sans his headware and with grass sculpted over him. In the case of the Dutyer I think he's a Russian from Secrets of the Third Reich, but don't quote me on that. Evidently the Freedomer perhps isn't as well equipped as the Duty guy, hmn, but that may just be down to different tactics (the anti-material rifle does somewhat put the other guy at somewhat of a disadvantage however...).

And well here's a few Mercenaries as well. Again the American models are sort of appropriate given that originally this faction were supposed to be US special forces (at least in the earlier builds, and its not like anything's been said to contradict this). Empress once more, hmn, though I'm not so happy with the paint job on these as the Freedomers.

Besides the Stalkers, which yeah there's plenty more of those sitting about my table, I've had a jab at some terrain too. This is a cottage of sorts that's being worked on at the moment. The building itself is mostly finished, it just needs to be based and have the furniture done before its ready to paint.

That's really where I'm about now with that stuff. Like I said there's more to work on at the moment, which I see in the immediate future being Duty and Mercenaries, but that's still up in the air. Beyond what's been said there's quite a few of those 1/48th Russian cars that I picked up from Poundland a while back which I'm rusting up along with a crashed Hind that's coming along (the Stalkers and cottage has gripped my attention more lately though). Ah, so there all that is, and well I guess this'll do as far as my time for models allows right now (my Fallout stuff tends to come out based on whenever I have an actual game though, so not to say its sidelined, but it'll pick up if there's demand from players). Whatever, enjoy and such. :)

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 07:11:03 AM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Lost To The Zone
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 11:18:12 AM »
Great stuff; I'll be keeping an eye on this project. 8)

I'm a fan of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise as well. I saw your plea for a copy of the Stalker boardgame in the bazaar. It looks like those minis would be an excellent addition to your project. In fact, I'd not be adverse to a copy myself now ;)

But would those minis be compatible with the minis you've used so far? The miniatures coming out of Russia often seem to be  just out of scale with the minis we have over here. Pretty hard to find any concrete info on the board game online by the way (especially when one does not read or speak Russian).

Your cabin is looking pretty much spot on; it really looks like you've taken a building out of one of the games and made it physical. With the right paintjob and weathering (lots of weathering), it will more than look the part.

What model are you using for the crashed Hind? I'm guessing a Revell 1/48 Hind-D? :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline kenohhkc

• Scientist
  • I Can't Help Myself
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 02:35:02 PM »
where did you get your windows for the buildings?

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 03:44:58 PM »
Another big STALKER fan here. Very nice figs but I love that house.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 07:17:27 PM »
Really like your figures.
The building look great,
want to see it finished.
You are off to a good start.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Percal

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 10:53:24 PM »
Nice conversions all around! You are tempting me to do some S.T.A.L.K.E.R figs myself, shame I don't have the space for them, and neither the appropiate figures.
Oh, and that house? Top notch!! It looks lovely, an entire board with that level of detail must be delightful to play on, great job!

Offline Messyart

• Scientist
  • Repopulating the Wasteland, one corpse at a time.
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 01:48:18 AM »
I've been thinking of sculpting myself a pseudogiant and chimera lately.  lol

That building is beautiful and the models are excellent :D
If you'd like an apocalyptic monster in 28mm, throw me a PM and I'll think it over.

Offline Nimrod

• Scientist
    • Слишком много ножей
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 04:25:35 AM »
Very nice building.  Can`t wait to see it painted. :)
And there is some very nice conversions. Will watch this with interest.
Considering the minis from stalker boardgame i can say that they are slightly bigger then usual 28mm minis.
They are very close in size to Eden miniatures  so it is more 32-35mm than 28mm.
You can see unboxing video and some photos of the minis here (In Russian): http://nastolki.livejournal.com/16358.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:29:34 AM by Nimrod »

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 02:57:21 PM »
*note to self* steal plans for this building.

Got any in-game shots?

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 06:42:56 PM »
@ Daeothar

If they're vaguelly compatible then I could just cut down the limbs a bit to suit. I'm not entirely bothered about the Stalkers, rather I'd think the mutants would be fine as they are. Meh, in all likelihood I'll probably have to make all of that myself anyway so perhaps its a bit of a moot point.

Heh I don't even know if any other company makes a Hind in that scale. Yeah, I mean its what everyone else was using already so I just jumped on the bandwagon.

@kenohhkc

* Rifles through pile of crap trying to find the packaging.

Warbases is the company's name. I picked them up at a show here in Scotland, but they have a site. They're fairly cheap; the particular ones on that building are six for £1.

http://war-bases.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=window&product_id=250

@ Percal

Oh hell I'm going to have to make a few boxes of terrain for this like I did with my Fallout stuff aren't I? Damn you don't have any space? Hell I don't wear too many socks maybe I should throw out one of my chest of drawers to make some space, or hell I can survive off of microwavable food, there goes the oven as well. :)

Yeah I'll see where this goes. The cottage and Hind are easy bits, I may have a go at something different like an anomoly based on whether I can be bothered buying in any more balsa wood for Eastern European terrain.

@ Messyart

Heh, don't let peer pressure sidetrack you when you were doing so well in being consistent with your other stuff. ...Which is to say that I feel like you're catering yourself to specifically make my wallet your bitch. ;)

@ Nimrod

Hmn, right. Well given the scale and well the hassle that I'd go through to track down a copy of that boardgame given the current political climate ah, yeah, expect more conversion. Meh its hardly like the outfits from the game would be too difficult to sculpt. ...Guess that means filching out some more Wargames Factory WWII figures. ^^'

@ Dentatus

Ah in-game as in from the video game, or do you mean from playing a board game? The later's not happened yet as well sleeping all day and drinking doesn't really accommodate for war gaming (...I have been playing a fair few other board games however). Huh, come to think of it I may as well throw together another tutorial, this time for a cottage rather than the wasteland shack. ...Also I've been reminded that that shack's still not painted. Bugger.

Heh, anyhow, thanks for the appreciation and such. Okily dokily, just me popping in here between the silliness of New Year's parties. Expect some sort of post later on in the week once all that crap's over with ...then an immediate slowdown when I realize that I aught to be studying instead of playing with my dollies (hell I'm even making a doll's house). Ack well, happy Hogmanay and all that, be prepared for yet another year of putting up with my horrible spiels and mucky yucky models.  :D

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 09:07:42 PM »
Ah I'm out of paint. ...Yeah if it wasn't obvious already I have a habit of screwing up logistics a bit. What does that mean? Well the cottage is getting there, but now that I'm out of a few colours its going to be delayed till I can make it into town for more. Hmn, but you'll see it when its done and I will say that sticking moss on the roof has given it a different look than all the desert stuff I've made previously).

Through not being able to work on that much I've had to find something else to do. So instead here's a female Stalker that was thrown together today. She's based on an Urban War Roman's legs, with various Wargames Factory odds and ends (including that SA80 by her side) and a wad of greenstuff (hey I had to get rid of the hotpants the Roman was wearing...). Her pose is supposed to make it look like she's trundling forward with an artifact held out (for whatever reason). I'm liking her so far, by it'll be down to the paint job to determine if she's decent or not (I'm guessing she's a Loner given that Duty dislike artifacts, and I already have plenty of Freedom).

For some reason her head looks massive in that image. Maybe it is, but it doesn't look quite so bad sitting on my desk right now. Odd. I would point out though that she does stand about half a head taller than my other models so maybe that's a factor. :P

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 09:27:39 AM »
YAY another thread!!  8)

That loner is the best so far man, the pose, the gear and the camo just work!

Now ill just drag that chair a little closer... and grab some snacks... ok i'm ready. Get cracking!  ;D
Bring on the eye candy.

Cheers
Matt

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 03:22:49 PM »
Bugger I've let this thing fall off of the first page. Woops, ah, blame the our lizard overlords or something. ;)

Oh well, ah, I suppose here's what's been collecting since my last post here. I've actually managed to include some in a game since, though yeah sorry I forgot to take pictures (it was for a Fallout game though, so was on a desert board as my Chernobyl terrain isn't quite there yet. Hmn, but I suppose people would have been interested in the pictures nevertheless). Hmn, but sure, here's pictures of what I have painted now. Read "painted" as being in a presentable state; my desk's full of half finished stuff unfortunately.

To begin with a dump of the various Stalkers I have.

For Duty here's an exoskeleton which is pretty much made from scratch bar the head (from a Dust Tactics figure) and the Statuesque Miniature's gun. It was interesting to make as I haven't used those cables on a figure much, though I'll say that they were a right hassle to position properly.

With Duty I have a pair of guys armed with M4s, but I'd like to include more regular Stalkers kitted out with less standardised looking gear. At the moment though Duty's lacking in members, so anything at all would help.

Ok, there's the thing everyone knows. Now for the random crap. I've since painted that Stalker with the artifact, and though I haven't managed to use her in a game yet, I do rather like the model. The artifact's a Flash probably.

Plus a second female stalker, this time based on a Copplestone Casting's model. She's less scantily clad than the original obviously, as has she had her head swapped with a Brother Vinni one. In this case I think she's a Freedomer given her forest camo. ...Freedom's probably going to have more models than most just because the camo's so easy to paint. =P

Hmn, now what else? Ah right, here's a pair of Stalkers made from some Cold War Soviets of indeterminate origin. They're in generic colours, but would do for the Bandits or Loners (the sniper's somewhat based on Monolith concept art actually).

And last up for the Stalkers, a repaint of some earlier hazmat suit wearing guys from my Fallout stuff. They're not strictly ecologists, though I would say that I do have some armed guys that look like these handy which would do for use as Stalkers in environmental suits.

Besides Stalkers I've been working on a vehicle pool. These are somewhat based on what's currently being used in Ukraine, just sans markings. Currently it includes a few things, but what's finished is these. First is an armoured UAZ van based on a 1/43rd diecast (all of my current vehicles are). The armour style comes from one I saw a photograph of, and I've seen it in at least two different colours, so it may see more than limited use. For S.T.A.L.K.E.R. though its an ad-hoc APC of a sorts. Not amazing, but it'll do given the limited availability of vehicles in the Zone (hell this one might not even have been smuggled in. They could have found a van that's been sitting there for thirty years and done it up).

And a regular Land Rover. ...Because well jeeps suit the terrain I suppose. I actually have an armoured on in the works too along with a second armoured jeep (a Soviet one), which hopefully would be a bit more practical for dangerous areas. This'll do fine though, and if it isn't in use (I rarely actually use vehicles in game), it'll make a decent terrain piece.

Well there's what I have finished for the moment. In the short term I have some other bits being worked on as part of my current batch of stuff. That includes a few different mutants (Blind Dogs, a Bloodsucker and a Controller, plus Pseudodogs are planned, I'm just waiting on bits turning up in the post), the cottage (which I'll probably post without the furniture first as its been sitting there long enough that painting up all that'll just put it off longer), plus those two jeeps mentioned. There's a crashed Hind plus a boat which has been stuck on land too (Aral sea style), but they're longer term things as both are a bit big. Ah, as do I have a pair of Soviet war monuments (one with soldiers, the other one mounting a T-34) planned, though I'm not going to make a start on them quite yet as they'd suit more of an urbanized setting (I'd ponder if the locals would have salvaged the T-34 as well given that its happened during the current war). Besides all that other crap's been pondered, but yeah I aught to have my current load finished first.

The roadmap's to have enough to do for two sides in a game, with the odd bit of terrain in order to be able to run a game of this. My club has forest scenery so I'd hope to use some of that instead of making my own, however I am the type who'd rather make everything myself, so that may turn out to only be a temporary thing. So I'll see about having enough finished to be able to run a game eventually, hopefully sooner rather than later.The bare minimum terrain wise for a game would be to have that cottage done, along with a set of wire fences surrounding it and possibly the odd loose marsh. Its the type of tree that I'm concerned about, as the ones my club have look like Firs, whereas apparently Spruce are far more common in the region. However to the eye I'm wondering if there's much difference. Apparently there's a trader a show soon who stocks different trees, so I may have to look into what to go for and pick some up. ...Naturally this is something nobody who I play against will actually care about. ;)

Ah right, anyway, that'll do for now. I've said what should be coming up soonish, and well hopefully it will. Uni's started back up again, so free time's limited, but saying that even when I had a week off I still managed bugger all. The mutants are mostly done however, in which they aught to be able to be thrown up here in a bit barring any actual real work getting in the way. Whatever, deal with what I've thrown up at the moment, but hopefully you won't have to go without the rest for too long. =P

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Lost To The Zone - How Awesome are Fences? Am I right?
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 01:54:18 AM »
Heh, time to feel embarrassed as I kind of sort of forgot to post this. ...Woop?

Ack, sorry. But well shall I show you off what I've managed (yes I do rather sound like I'm taking part in a show and tell at school)?

Here you go then. Not much, but I have more being worked on at the moment so more to come. I'll blither about that later, so first up minis.

Duty have been lagging behind a little so I wound up painting the remaining Empress models that I have in their colours. These are based on the Empress DEVGRU minis, bar head swaps (one from Secrets of the Third Reich, the other from Dust Tactics). They're Duty Veterans, who typically carry Russian guns, but I'll be sticking in plenty of those later so the odd AR shouldn't make them look like they have a "preference" for Western gear like Freedom (preference being that they're being literally supplied by those countries...).

Hey when you're a big deal in a faction you can wear any colour of camouflage you want sir. ;)

And a pair of Copplestone figures serving as a Mercenary and another Dutyer. Yes those guns look like Warhammer bolters, which is something which I don't really like given that the games are too outlandish with their weapons. I'll try and avoid too much fictional stuff as that's for the realms of Fallout. =P

Oh and Duty won't be wearing so much red gear. I just painted those guys up like that to add a bit more variety to the faction rather than having them all black. Similarly Freedom'll probably have a couple of camouflage patterns, plus the odd guy in yellow.

Hmn, what else? I've made the odd bit of terrain as well. There's around a dozen of these fences sitting ready now, something like eight of the mesh ones and six of the wire. These are the more complete ones, but there's a couple which are in worse condition. No point in posting the whole lot (I'll leave that till I take pictures of a game), so here's a sampler.

And I've rushed these vehicles off my table as they've been sitting there for long enough already. The rust's a bit browner than my Fallout stuff, though the ratio of rust to paint's in favour of those horrible old Soviet colours (my dad used to drive around in a sickly yellow soviet station wagon...).

Now where am I headed? Well there's four Stalkers based on the Cold War Russians I've previously used for other Stalkers. They'll be mostly bandits/londers as they're panning out right now. I've also made a start on a few mutants. Now these are really early WiPs (as in I've just slapped on a greenstuff frame with some of them), but its an indication of what's happening on that front.

Poltergeist, Snork (sorry he's black, he's being painted right now), Psedeodog (sans some more fur) and a Tark (yup, really, really early ...don't blame me if it looks nothing different in a month though).

So its those Stalkers and the Snork which are on my immediate painting list right now. I'm considering another order with Empress, particularly as I'm having ideas about what to use as Monolith Stalkers (I'd like for them to have a more professional military look than the other factions, as well as using top tier guns. So that'd be including things like the odd Australian and PLA soldier). However I'm also aware that I do happen to have another thread here. Yup, the Fallout one. I have some stuff which has been sitting mostly finished for months now and I'd like to start up again with at least some of that. So yes off topic in regards to this thread, but expect to see some sort of update on that front in a few days (oi I said it was almost finished, I didn't say I was going to get any better with time keeping).

Lots to work on still with this setting then. For the moment I have plenty of models to work through and a few ideas on where to go next. Prod me enough about it and I may actually finish that cottage and make a start on another larger terrain piece like that bloody Hind. Heh, but anyhow, see ya. :)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Lost To The Zone - How Awesome are Fences? Am I right?
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 02:58:00 AM »
I like the unusual color schemes on the Copplestone swat figures, and the beat up vehicles look great. Keep it going :)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza