Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:39:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Scratchbuilt Landships from the 90s  (Read 3496 times)

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
Scratchbuilt Landships from the 90s
« on: December 18, 2014, 04:42:36 PM »
In the late 90s I discovered the Major General's Ourgistan site. The landship battles depicted there influenced me greatly. This landship is built on a chasis of a tracked vehicle found in a thrift store bin. The upper cabin is a plastic coffin. The decks are box lids and cardboard from cereal boxes. The guns are various sized straws. The cow catcher in front and the smokestack came from a plastic train also from a thrift store. The crew is a mixture of Warzone 28/30mm and Parroom Station 28mm.

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
Re: Scratchbuilt Landships from the 90s
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 04:52:04 PM »
Another landship built from bits and pieces. The chasis is from a plastic tank (Abrams?), the upper decks and turret are a variety of small boxes. Both the Landships have been in storage for years and only recently uncovered. I do intend to apply rivets and finish the paint job, hopefully in the post Holiday lull. The crew are from 28mm from Pulp Miniatures.

Offline northtroll

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 05:17:50 PM »
Nice!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 06:05:48 PM »
In the late 90s I discovered the Major General's Ourgistan site.

The noted explorer/adventurer, Sir Randall, has created an area of mystery and intrigue we call Randistan, the portal to which is an unassuming basement in Lincoln, NE.  :D

Our little tip o' the hat.

Quote from: Governor General
...This landship is built on a chasis of a tracked vehicle found in a thrift store bin. The upper cabin is a plastic coffin.

Looks a bit like the GI Joe Cobra I.M.P, suggested by the good Major General, though never completed on the site. Personally, I want to try and use with 15mm as a proper Leviathan of the Land.

Did you have to chop the top of the track units to put the balconies on? If so, I've an IMP with chopped tracks waiting something similar.  ;)

The coffin, by the way, purely imspired!

Doug

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 06:12:27 PM »
Really clever work. I fondly remember the gaming websites of the mid-late 90's.  Lots of folks trying new stuff and often coming up with really clever solutions.  I spent many hours looking over Necromundicon (still do actually…) Terra Genesis and other similar sites. 

Unfortunately none of the stuff I was inspired to build back then looks half as good as your landships.

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 06:17:13 PM »
I don't know what toy I used as a base for the 1st Landship. It was white plastic with silver wheels and grey tracks. It looked like the bottom part of a vehicle that the top part had been removed. When the tracks rolled a disc with an octagonal hole would rotate. Possibly a polar explorer, based soley on the colour. I've looked for one of those COBRA tanks for years with no result. Thanks for the kind words they encourage me to build and paint more!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 07:46:55 PM »
Understood; just a shot in the dark, there.

My first impression of the second landship was of the Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull forest clearing machine toy.

And the gratitude is all mine; continued real fun!

Doug

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 02:38:45 PM »
I love scratchbuilt VSF vehicles.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 04:56:16 AM »
Nice work, General. Looks like fun!  ;)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 06:56:03 AM »
The Major General's website was massively influential on a lot of my philosophy of gaming and terrain - I especially remember their discussion of building size, square footage, and such, and pointing out that three or four undersized buildings looked a lot more like a village than one or two "full size" buildings, even if the undersized ones were really just big garden sheds compared to the figures.

The Major General's, Terragenesis before it became just another small forum, Ed's Wargame Pages, others now forgotten, they were great when the web was basically new.

Now get off my lawn.  :D