Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:34:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690718
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Potential Ancients Convert - Advice Needed  (Read 9056 times)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Potential Ancients Convert - Advice Needed
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 11:43:11 AM »
Clash of Empires is basically a rewritten (and, according to some) improved version of Warhammer Ancient Battles, so you probably don't want that. By the sound of it you should either go for Hail Caesar or Impetus. I have never played the latter.
Hail Caesar is good because it hasn't got tons of stupid little rules that slow gameplay. However, you might want to hear from some Impetus players because it seems to be increasingly popular. You do need BIG armies to get the best out of Hail Caesar (multiplayer is best too in my opinion.)

Offline A Lot of Gaul

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 06:15:54 PM »
Welcome to Ancients wargaming, Melnibonean! I will second what Andy said about Hail Caesar. In addition, the rules were designed for light-hearted, 'gentlemanly' games amongst friends, and IMHO play best if some time and effort have been spent in preparing the battle scenario and forces beforehand.

Here are links to some detailed online wargamer reviews of Hail Caesar, which ought to provide enough information to help you decide if it might be your 'cup of tea':

http://campcromwell.blogspot.com/2011/05/hail-caesar-review.html
http://rabbitsinmybasement.blogspot.com/2011/06/hail-caesar-first-look.html
http://toomuchlead.blogspot.com/2011/09/hail-caesar-full-review.html

Best of luck with your Ancients rules quest. Whichever one you ultimately choose, I hope you have a great time playing!

Cheers,
Scott
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 06:48:52 PM by A Lot of Gaul »
"Ventosa viri restabit." ~ Harry Field

Offline xpalpatinex

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 07:37:02 PM »

I've jumped the gun and I have a box of 28mm Victrix Hoplites on the way because I want to do this in order to have big battles with lots of pretty looking troops.

Proper wargaming that..."Thank you for the advice I've run out and bought the prettiest toys anyways"

Enjoy, Hoplites make great looking armies and there is a lot of nuance you can get from scenarios and specific battles (surprise attacks, city fighting etc...) to make them fun (other than just lining them up and going)

Silly question, what rules do you enjoy for the other periods you game? And do you want similar mechanics and speed/depth or are you looking for something completely different? The good news is you can buy a couple rule books and give them a read while you're spending the much longer investment in time painting the armies.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 11:16:47 PM »
Proper wargaming that..."Thank you for the advice I've run out and bought the prettiest toys anyways"

Well I am only human after all.  :?

Anyhow, I've decided that whilst I'm working out what rules to use I can paint up some figures and mount them - 4 figures on 40x40mm bases as this seems to be a pretty consistent basing regimen these days (or maybe 6 on 60x40mm).
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Mithridates1

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2015, 08:25:54 AM »
Victrix is a good choice - they have a very good range of hoplites and lighter troops.    Compatible in size with many metals as well.  4x4 on 40mm allows flexibility between say Hail Caesar and Impetus.    We use Hail Caesar here in sunny Canberra and am looking forward to CANCON 2015 at the end of the month - which will hopefully include both Impetus and Sword & Spear in 28mm.

My hoplites are growing in number and originally were just meant to be a small mercenary force for my later Achaemenids.    Typical wargamer, things just grew.    Also like the options for a Syracusan army - good quality mercenaries, levy hoplite (citizens) as well as lighter mercenaries like Gauls and Spanish.   Added attraction is the novelty of some 'belly' bowmen (light artillery).

Good luck

Garry

Offline Major Tom

• Assistant
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2015, 12:11:39 PM »
For Impetus (free basic version) I use 80mm wide bases instead of 120mm.  Small armies can be completed very quickly.  For full impetus I can use 120mm by adding extra 40mm bases to each element.

Heavy Foot - 8 figs 80x50 and 4 figs 40x50 (Hoplites, legionaries)
Light foot - 6/5  figs 80x50 and 3/2 figs 40x50 (less figures used for unformed warband types)
Skirmishers - 3/2 figs 80x40 and 1 fig 40x40

Heavy cavalry - 4 figs 80x60 and 2 figs 40x60 (Cataphracts, knights)
Medium Cavalry - 3 figs 80x60 and 2/1 figs 40x60
Light Cavalry - 2 figs 80x60 and 1 fig 40x60

I think this gives a good amount of flexibility to make smaller and larger unit for a lot of other rules sets out there.

Not a great picture but may help give you an idea - This is a full basic impetus army for Marian/Caesarian Romans (Still need to finish the bases on these).  

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 12:15:38 PM by Major Tom »

Offline xpalpatinex

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 04:51:50 PM »
Well I am only human after all.  :?

Hopefully no offense was taken, I really did mean that is proper wargaming. It is games of toy soldiers and in the end, all the internet blather in the world shouldn't dissuade you from collecting and painting the figures you want. You fancy doing hoplites and just couldn't help ordering some...sounds good and enjoy. We all know that feeling and many of my largest projects started with figures I just couldn't resist. Look forward to seeing pictures.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 10:07:06 AM »
Hopefully no offense was taken, I really did mean that is proper wargaming. It is games of toy soldiers and in the end, all the internet blather in the world shouldn't dissuade you from collecting and painting the figures you want. You fancy doing hoplites and just couldn't help ordering some...sounds good and enjoy. We all know that feeling and many of my largest projects started with figures I just couldn't resist. Look forward to seeing pictures.

No offence taken at all. You're right in thinking: I wanted some hoplites so I bought some hoplites. Normal, healthy wargamer logic!

After a chat today I came to the same conclusion that drives all of my wargaming: I want to play with what I like visually. For me it is 70% how my troops look compared to 30% how they perform. When it comes down to it I just like making and playing with good looking toy soldiers.

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 10:33:50 AM »
In the same way that all journeys start with the first step, then most wargames armies start with an (often rash) impulse purchase.  At least mine have.  ;-)  The Victrix hoplites are very nice.

As well as the other suggestions mentioned about, can I commend my own, new "To the Strongest!" rules which are basing independent, easy to learn and can cope with as few or as many minis as you can get painted!  There's more about them here (scroll down the thread :  http://bigredbat.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/TotheStrongest%21

Best, Simon

Offline Dave Knight

• Mad Scientist
    • Lead Warrior
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2015, 12:48:11 PM »
One of the things I like best about Ancients gaming is the vast (and ever expanding) selction of rules available.  Whatever your initial thoughts on rules are there is evey chance that you will want to try other systems before too long.

My advise is therefore to base to 'future proof' your armies.  For instance although many people enjoy the modelling possibilities provided by the large Impetus style bases I actually use old WRG style basing (modern equivalent FOG/DBM) and then sabot's when playing Impetus.  Some of my freinds base all their figures individually and the use commercially available larger bases predrilled to take them and so can swop between systems with ease.

Perhaps it is just me but I really hate rebasing

Welcome to the world of 28mm Ancients (don't forget Medieval and Renaissance as well). 

Bunny

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 07:20:56 AM »
I would take a look at Sword and Spear, a very good set of rules and the armies are of a decent size to make a quick start.

I do also like Hail Caesar.

Figures wish, 15mm is definitely the way to go and West Wind Productions will be releasing their extensive and excellent range very soon.  Keep an eye out for them.  I have their Republican Romans as part of my kickstarter they are fantastic!!

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2015, 07:12:15 AM »
I would take a look at Sword and Spear, a very good set of rules and the armies are of a decent size to make a quick start.

I do also like Hail Caesar.

Figures wish, 15mm is definitely the way to go and West Wind Productions will be releasing their extensive and excellent range very soon.  Keep an eye out for them.  I have their Republican Romans as part of my kickstarter they are fantastic!!

I did purchase the pdf of Sword & Spear but I haven't really looked at them yet. However, as a starting point I might go with Hail Caesar. If they are anything like the other rules in the same stable they cater to the uninitiated. But then again, I should really give S&S a read first. :?

Don't worry - I'm just a confused soul.

And... The urge to buy new, shiny stuff (plastic 28's) got the better of me so I've committed myself to 28mm (I also found an associate with a spare box of Hail Caesar hoplites who wants to part with them at a very tasty price).