Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:44:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Definitive or Must Have Western Films  (Read 113177 times)

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
Re: Definitive or Must Have Western Films
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2015, 06:08:53 AM »
I like Rango too! Because it is, underneath, an homage to old Westerns - and it's a hoot. It's what I called my western town lol.

Watched Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid on a long haul flight last week - if it's not here already it should be.

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2015, 06:48:24 PM »
Yup, Rangos my background music when I'm painting cowboys - it's not quite got me into mariachi but it's been close.

Seen pat Garrett years ago but didn't really enjoy it; I 'll revisit in the hope Bob Dylan gets shot this time.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2015, 11:03:32 PM »
I don't have much to add to this topic, and it might seem like an easy choice, but I've got to add my vote to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. I used to watch a few westerns with my dad when I was little (his favourite is The Magnificent Seven), but watching GB&U a few years later really cemented my liking for the genre. Deserves the description of 'epic', I think. Ennio Morricone's composition Ecstasy of Gold (the music of the mad dash round the cemetery) is well named. The two previous films are also excellent.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. The fury and pain of both John Wayne and James Stewart are palpable in this. (Also has the best medical diagnosis in any film before or since.) I have a lot of time for any Wayne or Stewart western: The Searchers, Big Jake, The Shootist, True Grit, The Rare Breed, Winchester '73, Bend of the River, etc. etc. etc. (Got a sneaking liking for the Duke's The Fighting Kentuckian, 'cos it also stars one Oliver Norvell Hardy! One of another Hollywood pair I'm a fan of.)

One that I think hasn't been mentioned, probably because it's pretty borderline: A Fistful of Dynamite. (or Duck, You Sucker!) James Coburn's IRA fugitive and Rod Steiger's bandito caught up right in the middle of the Mexican Revolution. Fantastic.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 11:19:11 PM by Vermis »

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2015, 03:37:31 AM »
Maybe it is the same film and just misspelled by an earlier poster but Chisum is a must.  One of John Wayne's best.  I also rather like The Sons of Katie Elder - and not just because of whose in it, neither.

And not strictly a western but a great film, Jimmy Stewart in Shenandoah.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2015, 09:25:55 AM »
I'm not sure if mini-series count but I watched Lonesome Dove again recently and it was good. Also watched The Virginian and it wasn't bad for a modern version

Offline Skaville

• Student
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2015, 10:12:25 AM »
Not generally a fan of the western, but these are three that did it for me;

Aung Lee's Ride with the Devil was a good look at the civil war as an actual, brutal civil war, and the personalities of desperadoes fighting on the losing side.
(The book was even better)

Wild Bill with Jeff Bridges was an absolute marvel, with Bridges nailing the damaged, cartankerous gunfighter facing his end of days.

And i really liked The Missing with Tommy Lee Jones, going up against apache bandits in the badlands.

Offline mdauben

• Scientist
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2015, 06:54:39 PM »
Four pages and no one has mentioned Mel Brooks classic Blazing Saddles?   lol

Seriously, I think all my favorites have been mentioned at least once except El Dorado with John Wayne and Robert Mitchum.  Filled with great characters and snappy dialog as expected from director Howard Hawks.  Some dismiss it as a remake of Rio Lobo but I've always thought El Dorado was the superior movie of the two.
Mike

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2015, 10:59:14 PM »
Watched Heavens Gate tonight....

Don't.

Offline WallShadow

• Bookworm
  • ...leaving a lasting impression
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2015, 05:19:11 PM »
I haven't seen mention of a few of my Duke favorites: The War Wagon, McClintock!, The Three Godfathers (1948).
Ok, tell me just one more time: _Where_ am i going, and _Why_  am I in this handbasket?

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2015, 02:01:57 AM »
Revisited this and saw Rango several times.  To each their own, naturally.  But that movie was shit.  Really.  No, not a Tarantino fan, neither.  But why.  That shootout in the house where, literally, a dozen new shooters show up after more than the whole plantation crew (male, anyway) has been sliced and diced by flying lead.  Sure, if you thinks its fun, fine.  But that scene made me want to throw up.

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2015, 09:29:50 AM »
Revisited this and saw Rango several times.  To each their own, naturally.  But that movie was shit.  Really.  No, not a Tarantino fan, neither.  But why.  That shootout in the house where, literally, a dozen new shooters show up after more than the whole plantation crew (male, anyway) has been sliced and diced by flying lead.  Sure, if you thinks its fun, fine.  But that scene made me want to throw up.

You're thinking of Django.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 09:31:33 AM by wulfgar22 »

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2015, 11:45:22 AM »
Another one to miss.....Meeks Cutoff.
Good atmosphere, probably spot on for accuracy etc, just ........dull....
Helped me doze off flying back from Kazakhstan !!!

Looking out for Slow West on download soon....quite fancy that.

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2015, 05:38:26 AM »
Yikes, quite right, Django - never seen Rango.  Goes sheepishly off to properly chastise self.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2015, 05:47:34 AM »
Yikes, quite right, Django - never seen Rango.  Goes sheepishly off to properly chastise self.

Just watched Django - Unchained couple of days ago on a late show.

As usual with Tarantino, lots of unnecessarily blatant violence, but one exchange of lines made me chuckle:

"What's your name?"
"Django."
"Can you spell it for me?"
"D-j-a-n-g-o - the D is silent!"
"I know!" (Exit Franco Nero)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline dflament

• Assistant
  • The closer you are to Caesar, the greater the fear
    • Bad Karma's Little Tin Men
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2015, 06:39:22 AM »
Open Range i like it alot, the shootout in the end is pretty realistic if you ask me, close range revolver shooting with almost no accuracy ;) and i like the athmosphere of the movie
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 06:40:56 AM by dflament »