Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:02:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690588
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Griffin Miniatures Greys - Finished squad  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Griffin Miniatures Greys - Finished squad
« on: May 28, 2019, 12:31:08 PM »
I just wanted something easy and different to paint up, without any pressure, as I'm sort of running over at work and socially, and the little time I am able to spend on painting, I want to be able to actually finish something. This means using simple washes, glazes, drybrushing etc, but that's why I picked something 'non-critical' in my lead-pile.

So, yesterday evening, in a spare hour, I dug up some Griffin Miniatures Greys I had bought here on the LAF several years ago. They were previously based and painted, so I simply (and irreverently) oversprayed them with white, enabling me to paint them tonight.

But they got me thinking; I know these miniatures from way back in Harbringer Magazine and I liked them even then. But they never made it big outside of a small initial run I believe, because Griffin Games dropped the ball pretty hard (which then also got punctured, burned, blown up and run over with a truck).

I've got the 'Invasion Force' squad, with only the pose of the leader (bottom row, second from the left) slightly different (Mine has got some sort of a mechanical probe-fist (for lack of a better word lol ) on his left hand) from this picture:

But I also have a (grand?) leader on a hover chair to go with them.

Judging from the few pictures I could find on the web, there are also at least a version with two pistols, and one with a bandolier and some sort of orb in his left hand. And I recall there are even more.

Does anyone have a definitive list of miniatures in this range?

Because if this squad is as fun and quick to paint as I expect, I might want to get me some more... :D

« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 02:52:40 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: Griffin Miniatures Greys - enquiry
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 01:27:29 PM »
I don't know of a list.
Here are pictures of mine, I've owned more than these which I sold on unpainted but those didn't contain any different poses. The robots are from Copplestone and aren't part of the range, the saucer is a Glencoe kit.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Griffin Miniatures Greys - enquiry
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 10:58:50 PM »
Well, I got pretty far, but was not able to finish them (just yet).

They're largely done, but I still need to tackle the hardware; weapons and chair. I was thinking of a Men in Black look; chrome. I have a pot of Vallejo Liquid Silver which I haven't tried out yet, so this might be the perfect opportunity. Also, some small corrections here and there might be in order; I spotted a few in the picture already... ::)

I'm hoping I will be able to squeeze in another hour or so of painting tomorrow evening, which will probably be enough to finish these guys off.

I was right though; these are a blast to paint, so I might eventually take on the difficult quest of attaining more of them...

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
Re: Griffin Miniatures Greys - Nearly finished squad
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 06:54:25 AM »
Mechanical probe fist?

I think you must have my squad that I converted :) .

I don't know whether you got them painted by me or not... but when I sold them, they had brown, lipped bases and were painted in a slightly tan colour. The leader in the chair wasn't fully painted.

I could probably find a picture...

I only converted it because the leader had an un-formed arm :) . It's green stuff... so be careful if you ever strip it ;) .
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 06:56:52 AM by Inso »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 07:53:28 AM »
Funny that :)

It's definitely them; the colourscheme, the conversion, right down to the basing material. However, they were based on coins and not on lipped bases. Perhaps they were handed down even further? Or perhaps the lipped bases were removed somewhere along the line? I might even have done it myself, but if I did, I can't recall doing that.

At any rate; good to know about the conversion. I had been planning to maybe take a drill to its tip lol Luckily the paintjobs were very light, so I didn't have to bother stripping them. Might have been a nasty surprise otherwise...

As it is, before undercoating them white, I did add some of my own basing material (fine sand, course sand, very fine shale and some 'larger' pieces of shale) in small patches to the bases, to better blend them in with my regular basing technique (which I use on most of my 'outside' bases), but that's the only alteration I made.

Oh, and I pinned the flying chair with a piece of paperclip wire to a washer base. I'll get some better pictures of that once they're finished (hopefully tonight).

Interesting to see how some miniatures travel from owner to owner over the years, with each adding something to them... :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 07:55:08 AM by Daeothar »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 02:50:24 PM »
The silver took quite a bit longer than expected, and in the end, I'm figuring I could just as well have painted them with bog standard water based acrylics. But hey; it's another experience and skill...

The Liquid Silver has a finish like... silver, so the chrome effect I was after it is not. But the isopropanol makes the paint dry almost instantaneously, which can be useful.

I then did some pinwashing with a black oil paint and white spirit between the metal surfaces and skin areas, which worked as well as always.

A final highlight of old Citadel Mithril Silver finished it off.

The base edges need touching up, some eye-searing mistakes need cleaning up and they need a good coat of varnish, but I'm calling them finished.

I did the whole squad in about 5 hours, everything combined, including drying times, so that's definitely a new speed record for me. They were simple minis to paint though, and the end result is pretty dire up close, as the pictures will attest, but I'm still happy with them. I finally managed to finish some miniatures, and that feels good.

So here's to hoping the mojo remains... :)

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Griffin Miniatures Greys - Finished squad
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 05:51:37 AM »
so I might eventually take on the difficult quest of attaining more of them...

I gotta see how you get on with that. I've been trying to find ONE set for years now.  ::)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 05:56:22 AM »
Missed these before, very nicely done  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 02:41:42 PM »
I gotta see how you get on with that. I've been trying to find ONE set for years now.  ::)

You and me both.  And probably quite a few other folks.  Griffin did a terrible job of getting these to market.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 08:29:37 AM »
Yeah; I consider myself pretty lucky having been able to pick this batch up. I don't have high hopes, but when I see any of these offered for sale, I'll be all over them...  :D

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 09:12:51 AM »
I got a set just before Griffin collapsed. Great shame. The moulds must be out 5here somewhere. There was also advertising for a bio-mech race, the Cravids. There were photos of the minis, but AFAIK, they were never sold.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2019, 01:44:40 PM »
I remember those. In fact, I came across the adds in Harbringer again when I was researching the Greys just before I started slapping paint on them.

They instantly reminded me of the Invid from the (never completed) 3rd Robotech season (Genesis Climber Mospeada) and had they become available, I would certainly have gotten me some...

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 02:52:54 PM »
 I remember those as well. I think Griffin really dropped the ball and did a dis-service to the hobby for sure. But I digress..... you are indeed a lucky chap and I LOVE how yours turned out Daeothar!

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 02:54:55 PM »
I remember those. In fact, I came across the adds in Harbringer again when I was researching the Greys just before I started slapping paint on them.

They instantly reminded me of the Invid from the (never completed) 3rd Robotech season (Genesis Climber Mospeada) and had they become available, I would certainly have gotten me some...

Oh yeah.  Noble knight Games had the whole run of Harbinger on sale this week andit had me thinking about the Griffin Minis ads and how much I regretted not getting ahold of them.  Think I've still got one or two of the subscriber handout figs from the mag, too.  Kind of miss the days of physical gaming magazines, although I'll concede the internet is so much handier.