Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:43:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WIP - The Gold Mine - RESTORED PICTURES  (Read 59412 times)

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
WIP - The Gold Mine - RESTORED PICTURES
« on: September 12, 2008, 03:25:50 PM »
>>> After the move of LAF from the german to a uk server I realised shortly after that most of the pictures of this thread had vanished, although they had been stored in my LAF gallery. 39 pictures had gone mysteriously into nirvana ... I struggled a while if I should upload them again and replace every single one to the appropriate text passage, realising that it would be much work. But in the end - and looking forward to a new convention game showing the mine - I did it. So if you like, you can follow the work-in-progress once again and hopefully wouldn't mind that I unearthed this older report of mine. May 26th 2018 <<<

Having had a rather large and labour-intensive game last year at the Crisis show in Antwerp ("Worringen 1286"), we decided at the club to go for a more relaxed approach this year and have a participation game with western theme called "Once Upon a Time in Mexico". I took the part on building the required gold mine. This Work-in Progress thread will show you how I did it.

After going into some research into my books and the net, I did find a lot of historical material about mines in the west, but most pictures showed either much too large mining complexes to be transferred into tabletop terrain or the typical small scene showing a group of miners washing for gold with their pans at a small river bed. I had also admired to Wolfgang's fantastic terrain pieces and his old west mine, but that was a bit too barren for my taste; his western town here http://gidian-gelaende.de/Material_HP/Wolfgang/Westerngelaende/album/index.html (unfortunately this site is no longer available!)

By pure coincidence when browsing a bookstore some weeks ago I looked through a "That was the Wild West"-book aimed for the youngers and found what I was after: a splendid illustration by Peter Dennis, who is, after the death of Angus McBride, my favourite illustrator.

I instantly knew that I wanted to transfer that into a nice terrain piece.

For a start a 5 mm Forex sheet (kind of polystyrol) was cut to the dimensions we had decided upon for the space available in the game context, and after cutting and rounding the edges some foam boards were cut to size and glued upon with contact glue to get some height levels. Quite heavy bottles filled with sand were used to press everything on a flat surface overnight.

More foam was glued on to gain height, and the first rough layout was scribbled with a marker:

The foam layers were cut and smoothed out to a more realistic terrain contour, and the first rock and stone structures were sculpted using "Keramiplast", an air-hardening modelling clay. This stuff is easy to handle with just some water and has the consistency of clay. The fact that is will shrink a bit and thus produce cracks was very welcome this time ... :)

The top layer of the foam was cut in a 90° angle to get in the mine tunnel later. The tunnel entrance would be build separately using woods strips over a wooden frame.

Now for some pics about the tools of the trade that came into use for sculpting the rock strata:

Crumbled aluminium foil for pressing the soft clay to get some basic stone like textures, and two selfmade scribing-/cutting tools for the more prominent rock cracks and stone structures:

Real rock pieces were used as refererence for the structures, but also for pressing them into the clay directly using some water to avoid the clay tacking to the stone surface:

Coarse grit I collected years ago on an italian beach will be used later for loose stones and all the debris at the bottom of the rock formations:

In between those times waiting for the glues or the clay to set firmly, I looked through my collection of terrain pieces and the ever present lead mountain for anything usable for this project. The chinese laundry from Peter Dennis' painting should appear in the scene, and I found a nice and perfectly fitting Snapdragon old west shed I had roughly pre-painted some years ago. There were only minor details to add:

This tree trunk plus sign, also from Snapdragon, was cut a bit smaller at the base and will also be integrated into the scene:

Now on to some figures to be used: the only new bought ones were the miners from HLBS plus some mining equipment like the cars. Some Foundry Old West veterans were dug out of my large lead mountain  ;)

So, that's it for the first post. Hopefully not too long and boring. Next time it's going into some more detail work with the mining tunnel and water troughs plus support construction and of course more rock formations ...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 07:27:17 PM by Admiral Benbow »

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Re: WIP - The Gold Mine
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 03:35:37 PM »
Great job on the rock face. It's always good to see well done home made rock.

I can't wait to see the final.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Johan

• Scientist
    • http://www.tsoa.be
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 03:39:27 PM »
Looking good so far. I've already had quite a few previews of games that will be at Crisis 08 (as an organiser I have that advantage) and this year really promisses a lot of really good tables. The jury will have a difficult task (again) to judge who will win this year's awards.
Tables can participate in three categories
1.best wargame of the show
2.best participation game
3.best inovative game (here we want to see something we haven't seen before, surprise us)
Hope to see you in good health there.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 06:53:04 PM »
Looking good, Admiral.
And great foresight on your part to document the design and build process, which I'm sure lots of people (me included) will find very useful.
Thanks.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 07:03:27 PM »
Inspiring stuff.  :o Looking forward to see this project evolve. :)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline MuleSkinner

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 01:23:49 AM »
likewise..........very impressive stuff  :o
can't wait to see the next installment

*pats Admiral on back*
Minor skin grafts can be performed on pigs by covering any cuts and grazes with thin strips of bacon.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 04:47:53 AM »
really look forward to the progress, great job so far.  How do the HLBS compare with other figures?
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 07:27:11 AM »
Awesome, always a great scene in any western. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 08:26:00 AM »
And for Zorro, of course...  ;)

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 08:44:23 AM »
That is very nice ,I looking out for more  :)
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 08:45:58 AM »
Lovely! The viaduct must be a joy to build.

Benbow, I've got a HLBS dancing goldminer with your name on it. I bought the set for the bucking mule, but the prospector's yours if you want it.

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 10:24:54 AM »
Nice work on the rock, look forward to seeing this finished.

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 02:45:33 PM »
A great project.

What Hammershield called a viaduct is known as a flume and used to carry crushed ore. The ground beneath them would usually be covered with dust and small chunks of ore.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 02:53:41 PM »
A great project.

What Hammershield called a viaduct is known as a flume and used to carry crushed ore. The ground beneath them would usually be covered with dust and small chunks of ore.

knowitall! ;-)

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 07:01:20 PM »
A great project.

knowitall! ;-)

I can show off, too! The mine entrance is called an 'adit'.  :D
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!