Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:10:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686443
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Teaching the GF about wargaming (using Empire of the Dead)  (Read 2302 times)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Teaching the GF about wargaming (using Empire of the Dead)
« on: January 12, 2015, 05:14:39 PM »
I had a different experience last week when my girlfriend became curious about wargaming having seen me paint Gothic Horror / Empire of the Dead models (previously she had only seen me labor on small 15mm By Fire & Sword miniatures). Her interest was strong enough to want to try out what wargaming was all about so we ended up playing two games of Empire of the Dead.

She thought the game was fun and enjoyed it, liking the theme and small scale of the skirmish fight in particular. I also took a couple of pictures of our games since it had been a long time since I had Empire of the Dead gaming related material on my blog.

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2015/01/teaching-gf-miniature-wargaming.html

« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 05:17:34 PM by Anatoli »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Teaching the GF about wargaming (using Empire of the Dead)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 05:21:40 PM »
Great to see your other half taking interest which can't be a bad thing. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Holla_die_Waldfee

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 05:46:10 PM »
Cool, what tricks you used to make her curious? My girlfriend only roll with her eyes  :-X

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 06:06:04 PM »
Cool, what tricks you used to make her curious? My girlfriend only roll with her eyes  :-X

Well in all honesty she is pretty much open minded. She was slightly into boardgames when we met, and is now playing them like a regular nerd. And she had been asking questions about miniature wargaming to try to understand what I was doing with my buddies, "how does it work, how do you determine what happens".

But in the end it was the theme and gamestyle of Empire of the Dead, gothic horror, that sold it. I could probably sell her similar skirmish games with a fantasy/apocalypse twist but I know she hates sci-fi and would be frustrated if she had to push around blocks of miniatures in formation. I told her that once the basics of wargaming are learnt (moving, rolling dice, deducting results after modifiers etc) then she will be able to pick up and learn most wargames henceforth since the basics are pretty much similar in all of them.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 09:48:52 PM »
My ex actually had two EOTD factions (Vampires and Gentle[wo]men) we played a small campaign once; it's a great game for introducing new players to the concepts of wargaming.

I had it easy though, she was already a board gamer and roleplayer.