Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:01:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Nemedian Proxies  (Read 5615 times)

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead for the Lead Mountain!
    • http://www.loresdelsith.net
Nemedian Proxies
« on: September 13, 2008, 10:29:24 PM »
Since Broadsword Adventures was announced I started painted some miniatures to use as hyborian warriors, like these Shem and Khitai warriors, from GW miniatures
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=6378.0

Las week I managed to paint 4 Warlord Games romans to use as Nemedians (in comics, Nemedia is usually portraited as some kind of Rome)

I want to paint some stylized dragons on the shields, as the Dragon is the emblem of Nemedia, but for now the models are right for me

And this a paper tower made from a Fat Dragon Games product, perfectly in scale with the minis. I am now planning some scenarios to use it.

--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
Keyan Sark - Coordinador de SithNET
SithNET - http://www.loresdelsith.net
TT - http://talisman.foro.st
http://displacedminiatures.com/keyansark
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Re: Nemedian Proxies
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 12:26:18 AM »
Oh, the BA stuff just keeps on coming! Great pics, I always imagined Nemedian soldiers as wearing blue also.

I'm still leaning towards a fantasy-Byzanthine look for my Nemedians if I ever get around to them (probably using Eureka Tekumel miniatures) but since I started reading the new Dark Horse Conan comics, I've also gotten attached to the "cloaked" look of the Nemedian guards that appeared in one of the early chapters. Too bad I don't know any good miniatures to fit that look.

I really must start contributing to the BA photo-fest that's been going on here lately...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 12:28:01 AM by Rhoderic »
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 04:35:41 AM »
Nice job but, according to Lin Carter (author of several Conan novels), the infantry wear brown and green with shield device and banner of their own Baron.
Light infantry archers also wore brown and green.
Royal Guard wear red, with golden Roman style armour and red helmet plumes. They carry the Nemedian banner and shield device (gold dragon on scarlet field).
There was a class of professional soldiers called the Adventurers, composed of second sons of noblemen.  Their armour and shields were plain steel.  They wore sky blue as a mark of honour but apparently, they were armed with two-handed broadswords.
If you need the cavalry colours, just ask.  ;)

(I love Fat Dragon's products! They do some really nice pieces that would be perfect to reproduce in pinkfoam or foamboard.)
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 07:15:05 AM »
Thanks for the info Archangel...

I can't say why, but I always envisioned Nemedians as dressed in blues...

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 11:54:56 AM »
No disrespect to Lin Carter, but IMO it's up to each individual to decide whether they choose to take his writings as canon or not. Same as with Robert Jordan, L. Sprague de Camp and the rest of them.

That said, that's some interestingly detailed info on the Nemedian military, canon or not.

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 12:25:08 PM »
Speaking of which... How did Lin Carter say that aquilonian soldiers dressed?

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 06:19:36 PM »
Speaking of which... How did Lin Carter say that aquilonian soldiers dressed?

No particular style of uniform specified
National Banner: Gold lion on black field
Poitanian knights - two-handed broadswords
                       - heraldic device of Poitain on shields and banners - silver leopard(s) rampant on red field
Aquilonian knights - individual heraldry or that of Baron commanding
                         - Aquilonian banner
Black Dragons (cavalry)/Legion (foot) (Royal Guard) - black ( ::) ) uniforms & plumes, silver armour and shields
                                      - black dragon on shields                               
                                      - banner has black dragon on white field unless with Conan, then used national banner
Bossonian archers - green or brown earth tones, plain steel, no banner
Gundermen pikes - all blonde, dull colours, plain steel
                       - banner, Aquilonian lion
Aquilonian foot - each individual contingent uses heraldry and banner of Baron commanding
                    - mixed contingents use Aquilonian banner

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 06:23:16 PM »
No disrespect to Lin Carter, but IMO it's up to each individual to decide whether they choose to take his writings as canon or not. Same as with Robert Jordan, L. Sprague de Camp and the rest of them...

Oh, I quite agree.  It's your army, after all.  Just thought people might be interested in what one of ''the horses' mouths'' had to say.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 07:17:28 PM »
Nice job but, according to Lin Carter (author of several Conan novels), the infantry wear brown and green with shield device and banner of their own Baron.
Light infantry archers also wore brown and green.
Royal Guard wear red, with golden Roman style armour and red helmet plumes. They carry the Nemedian banner and shield device (gold dragon on scarlet field).
There was a class of professional soldiers called the Adventurers, composed of second sons of noblemen.  Their armour and shields were plain steel.  They wore sky blue as a mark of honour but apparently, they were armed with two-handed broadswords.
When you say brown and green, do you mean their tunics could be brown or green. Or do you mean the tunic was half brown and half green? ???
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 11:40:12 PM »
Hi, Dafydd

The way the rulebook words it is, 'They would favor brown and green in their dress...'.  That just sounds like the clothing colours were up to the individual, with most soldiers wearing either/or, or a combination of the two.  Probably something like Robin Hood's bunch, although not so much the Lincoln Green, I would imagine!  :D

Cheers,

Mike

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 11:44:13 PM »
Hi, Dafydd

The way the rulebook words it is, 'They would favor brown and green in their dress...'.  That just sounds like the clothing colours were up to the individual, with most soldiers wearing either/or, or a combination of the two.  Probably something like Robin Hood's bunch, although not so much the Lincoln Green, I would imagine!  :D

Cheers,

Mike
Cheers. Which rule book?

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 11:58:00 PM »
'Royal Armies of the Hyborean Age - A Wargamers Guide to the Age of Conan' by Lin Carter & Scott Bizar. 1975!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 03:43:42 PM »
'Royal Armies of the Hyborean Age - A Wargamers Guide to the Age of Conan' by Lin Carter & Scott Bizar. 1975!

Wow! That's a real "blast from the past"

I still have a copy somewhere......  :D

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 05:38:41 PM »

Wow! That's a real "blast from the past"

I still have a copy somewhere......  :D

You mean they sold two copies? It's always interesting when somebody else confirms that you're not the only hoarder of obscure items! It's not exactly pertinent to the subject but I spent years almost convinced that I had only imagined seeing an old sci-fi movie called 'Catwomen of the Moon'.  I couldn't find any reference to it anywhere (this was before the 'net) until I picked up a book on movies on video.  Now, I see references everywhere.  I even picked up a copy on VHS, complete with 3D glasses!  o_o  I wonder what else I've got that nobody's ever heard of?

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 06:08:56 PM »
The miniatures for Royal Armies are still available from http://www.classicminiatures.net, I've often considered ordering some although I'm sure the sculpts are way too old to fit with the rest of my Conan stuff.

Apparently, according to an old TMP thread I found, the ruleset was still available from Fantasy Games Unlimited as recently as last year. It's gone from their webstore now, though.