Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:49:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689726
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vladimir's Miscellaneous Fantasy Thread  (Read 54445 times)

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
What's that? You want some old-school warhammer?

It's probably not as old school as some folks here prefer, but I got started on bad boys like these. I got these ones from Constable Bertrand for the low, low price of zero dollarydoos. He offered me a bunch more, but I had so much on my grey mountain at the time that I didn't want to overload myself. In hindsight, I guess I could have taken some more.

I painted so many of these bad boys back in the day. Mmm, tasty nostalgia.

My original plan for basing was to give them a deserty look to match with the desert tunnel system that Bertrand will probably never get around to building, but the pull of nostalgia was too strong.

I think part of his tail snapped off when I stripped the old paint off. Whoops!

Amazing what a few years and better paintbrushes can do for you.

That drum was such a pain in the butt to paint, but it turned out alright, eh?

Good thing you don't need to be too smart to bang a drum...

So many feathers...

As I painted this lot, I realized that I'd never actually painted a saurus champion before. Huh.

I honestly don't know what possessed me to paint the feathers in so many different colours.

In the end, I'm glad that I did.

Painting this particular mini reminded me why I hate metal standards. So bendy, so fragile!

When I took these photos, I realized that I'd forgotten to gloss up the gemstone on the back of his headdress. Don't worry, I added it later.

Despite how fiddly this mini was to paint, it was surprisingly enjoyable.

The one on the left is one of the first miniatures I ever painted. The one on the right is the new one. I tried to use the same colours that I had available to me back then, with the knowledge that I'd gained in the meantime. I'd say there's some improvement!

...right?

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
I return! Again!

I think this is a GW LotR figure, but I'm not sure who it is, so until someone tells me who it is, he shall be known as Captain Squishface.

I might have overdone it on the flowers, but I reckon the sword came out alright.

[/url]

I'm pretty happy with how the cloak turned out.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
I believe the miniature is from the GW Lord of the Rings range - Glorfindel
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
We both know which name will stick though, don't we Pete.  ;)  lol

The backdrops really help sell the pictures Pete, they look great!

The flowering shrubbery is ace, what brand is it mate? The leaves and flowers look awesome.

Cheers
Matt

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
I believe the miniature is from the GW Lord of the Rings range - Glorfindel

Cheers! That would've driven me nuts if I didn't find out.

We both know which name will stick though, don't we Pete.  ;)  lol

The backdrops really help sell the pictures Pete, they look great!

The flowering shrubbery is ace, what brand is it mate? The leaves and flowers look awesome.

Cheers
Matt

Hey, those trees were yours once. I'll need to invest in some more scenery once I've got some more room...

The flowers are mininatur apple blossoms. They work pretty well as shrubbery, but do you know who doesn't need shrubbery?

That's right, it's Bonsey the skeleton! He's one of two miniatures that I got from a try-your-luck machine at moab this year. At the rate I'm painting, you'll see the other one in a couple of days.

Bonsey doesn't have much interest in scaring people. He just wants to entertain! He does have an oversized funny bone, after all.

It's hard to tell in this image, but his pants came up a treat.

Looks like he forgot his keys...

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
Well, I said I'd do it and I did it!

Allow me to introduce to you Stinky, the battle skunk!

First used by pixies in the massacre of Glitterpond, battle skunks are unpredictable, but surprisingly solid fighters when equipped with their tail spikes...

...and they are equally equipped for tactical withdraws.

Stinky is a particularly heroic fighter, having lasted ten whole minutes in his first battle before running away.

The model is from super dungeon explore. I got it at moab and the second that I saw the stripe on its back, I knew he had to be a skunk.

So yep, that's it. All my minis are painted.

Every last one.

Oh no, what have I done?

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
Bonesey is quite good. He reminds me of Iron Maiden's mascot Eddie.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
Bonesey is quite good. He reminds me of Iron Maiden's mascot Eddie.

Huh, I didn't notice. I guess he kind of does!

This is the newest member of my D&D group, Enna Starflower. She's a half-elf bard who enjoys lutes, pan flutes...and bagpipes. The model is Reaper's Jirelle, iconic swashbuckler.

During her first adventure (after my character stopped saying how glad he was to have someone to properly chronicle his greatness) we ended up at a cave. The halfling warlock waddles on in and asks if any of the cave's occupants can understand him. After being turned into a living pincushion of goblin arrows (down to one hitpoint) Enna used disguise self to turn into a (rather tall) goblin and managed to convince them that he was a new prisoner.

She has good charisma.

Now, I would have been more helpful, but I think I'm the only one in the party who can't see in the dark. After some other shennanigans, Enna convinced the goblins and an ogre that the villagers had escaped. With far fewer guards to worry about, we got the villagers out and back to their home that, since we'd arrived, had been overrun by goblins, bandits and orcs...in that order.

This is our entire party, including the DM. Now all we need is to actually group up again so I can give them their tiny selves.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 10:00:39 AM by Vladimir Raukov »

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
Can't...stop...painting!

I picked up this guy along with Enna from the previous post. It seemed like a good idea at the time. After a couple of days spent agonizing over which colour to paint him, I ended up choosing a traditional red.

I painted him so quickly that I didn't come up with a name for him, but he's obviously the new kid on the block, looking to burn out some territory of his own.

The wings came out okay, although I probably could have been a little more sensitive when drybrushing.

He's sort of cute, in a way...

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
Cool collection of DnD minis Pete, they are wonderful.  8)  8)

You do have the silliest of adventures and stories, haha, and that's why its so great playing with ya mate!

Cheers
Matt

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
Incidentally, I got some of the very same Bones minis on my painting desk ATM. Nice to see them painted.

I also ended up with red for the small dragon. Somehow couldn't envision any other colour. Still pondering how to do the wings.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
Cool collection of DnD minis Pete, they are wonderful.  8)  8)

You do have the silliest of adventures and stories, haha, and that's why its so great playing with ya mate!

Cheers
Matt

Being able to make up stories on the fly is super helpful at times and I'm glad it brings you joy! We need to meet up again sometime.

Incidentally, I got some of the very same Bones minis on my painting desk ATM. Nice to see them painted.

I also ended up with red for the small dragon. Somehow couldn't envision any other colour. Still pondering how to do the wings.

I was agonizing over what colour to do the dragon for ages. Red? Green? Yellow? I couldn't figure it out. I must have stopped painting for about, oh...three days. Dark times they were. As for the wings, try white or maybe a dark pink if you're set on red. They're super fun to paint, enjoy!

And now with no further ado...

This is Whip, another D&D character of mine. I have so many characters for 5th ed rolled up now that I think I either have a problem or over a dozen solutions.

Unlike other Tieflings, Whip was subjected to a horrible ritual that turned a certain cult leader into a regular human and a sweet little boy into a tiefling. Unfortunately, said ritual also took Whip's parents lives away and drove the lad crazy...but then he met a troop of spider monkeys and was taken in by them so...six of one, half a dozen of the other?

As time passed, Whip was eventually found by a wondering swordsman and his wife, a practiced brawler. Although they did teach him a lot, like basic communication, the importance of pants and why throwing poo at your enemies, while effective, is inappropriate. Unfortunately, it was not enough. The little Whip was plagued by nightmares of a future he couldn't properly articulate.

So, the swordsman and his wife brought him to a monastery where the boy learned a great deal about controlling his inner turmoil and how to do sweet flips and martial arts. As time passed, his dreams became more vivid. He said goodbye to the monks and set out to figure out the dreams on his own. Will he succeed? Well my dex-based fighter will have to die first, but then time will tell...

The miniature is Bushido's Haru. His head was a bit skinnier than I expected, but dang was it fun to paint!

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
Can't...stop...painting!

This chap is known as The Druid. He had a name once, before he gave himself to the forest.

When he was younger, The Druid's home village came under attack by a gang of bandits that were too great to overcome, but he managed to escape and found shelter deep in the forest near his home.

That night, The Druid learned much from the forest, like how to survive, how to call for help...and how to fight back.

After a few days, The Druid returned home and caused such damage to the bandits that the other villagers were able to fight back. There were losses, but not as many as the bandits endured before they finally escaped.

As the fires of battle died down, The Druid knew that he couldn't stay. The forest was his home now and nothing could change that. He still watches over that village, ensuring that nobody tries to enslave them again.

The model is Hordes' Bradigus Thorle. The face was a bit fiddly to paint, but overall it was a fun miniature to paint.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
Re: Valdimir's Miscellaneous Fantasy Thread
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2018, 09:39:24 AM »
I need to get back to TAFE. I'm almost half way through my grey mountain!

This is another D&D character. He's a Tiefling sorcerer who calls himself Noone.

Hey kid, what's your name?
Noone.

Wierd name, that.
Oh, I have another one, but I don't use it.
Why not?
Kids used to tell me that noone could love a monster like me and I wanted to be loved, so I became Noone.
Can't argue with that logic.

Well, you should be able to make use of this.
W...wait, there's so much gold in here! Do you really want me to have it?
What are you waiting for, boy? Sounds like you've got some folks to prove wrong.
I won't let you down, sir!

After spending most of the gold in a nearby bakery, Noone then decided to become an adventurer with what was left over.

The model is malifaux's iggy (undoubtedly the fiddliest model I've put together in a while) with a backpack from pig iron productions and some green stuff.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 11:34:38 AM by Vladimir Raukov »

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
Re: Valdimir's Miscellaneous Fantasy Thread
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2018, 10:12:06 AM »
Why...can't...I...stop?

So, there's this guy who was going to join our D&D group. Then he couldn't. Now he can. This is his kenku, whose name is [      ]. I'm not kidding. No name, just silence. I guess it makes sense, given how kenku can imitate any sound, but what did his parents yell out when he misbehaved? Guess I'll find out soon enough.

[         ]'s a rogue. He's no assassin, more of a traditional thief and hates fighting. Hey, more glory for me!

I wasn't sure if I should go for a dark green for his clothing or a navy blue. I think the blue was a better choice in the end.

Here he is, trying to steal a thing through an open window. Will he succeed? Probably, he's got pretty good dexterity.

And now our group is complete...I sure hope nobody else joins, we're running out of chairs!