Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:35:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689739
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vladimir's Miscellaneous Fantasy Thread  (Read 54450 times)

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
Re: Valdimir's Miscellaneous Fantasy Thread
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2018, 12:04:55 PM »

Once upon a time, there was a man. He had humble beginnings, but he made himself noteworthy in service to his duke and even caught the eye of said duke's daughter.

Not desiring scandal but knowing his daughter's stubbornness, the duke secretly gave the man a title. The two were married, had kids and were generally happy.

Then, he died.

That was years ago. His family are nothing more than a fuzzy memory. All he knows for sure is that he must guard the crypt...guard the crypt...guard the crypt...

Image is reaper's Rictus the Undying. Not a bad little freebie and the rust came out great, if I do say so myself.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2018, 05:56:21 AM »
I'm back, with more reaper!

This handsome fellow is Roan Whittaker. Born a half elf, he was sold into slavery when he was a child.

Most of his owners were terrible, but a gnome treated him with respect and dignity, promoting him from a garden slave to a home slave. He was nearly free...until the gnome lost him in a game of cards.

His most recent master was a cruel man who beat Roan for the slightest infraction. When he could take no more, Roan lashed out with a glob of acid.

Horrified by the new power that he'd been 'blessed' with, Roan ran away, desperate to avoid anyone who might see him as a murderer. He purchased new clothes as soon as he could, as well as a new staff to make himself look like a proper wizard, rather than...whatever he is.

The model is Reaper's Piers, Young Mage. Aside from a few fiddly bits, I loved painting this one. His relatively passive pose is perfect for a shy, awkward sorcerer who would rather hide than fight.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2018, 10:29:56 AM »
Blooming lovely skelly old bean :-*

Cheers
Matt

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2018, 12:34:32 PM »
Blooming lovely skelly old bean :-*

Cheers
Matt

Cheers Berty! We'll have to paint together again sometime soon, before I run out of stuff!

Here we have my most recent minis, four adventuring kids who are out to save the world before dinner!

This is Daniel, a scrappy little fighter.

After being rescued from a gang of goblins by a warrior some time ago, Daniel has trained almost nonstop to emulate his hero, even down to his accent.

The tunic turned out pretty well, I reckon.

This photo...could've turned out better. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Not gonna lie, I thought this was a girl when I ordered the models and I never really came up with a good name for him while I was painting him. I mean, it could be a girl, but I think it's meant to represent a boy the more I looked at it.

I figure this fella never really mugged anyone or stole anything, but he's kept a lot of missing coins for himself without trying to find the owner...

I kind of like how his little bag turned out.

This is Sasha, a strong barbarian girl who don't need no rules.

This adventurous, often rebellious youth travels with her nomadic family, seeing parts of the world that city dwellers can only dream of.

Although she refuses to settle down and stay in the camp, her family can't argue with her results. That tail that hangs from her belt? It was her first kill.

'Oi, you looking at me?'

This is Percy. He might not be the most powerful wizard his age, or even the most competent...but that doesn't stop this bespectacled wonder from trying!

The inspiration for most of his clothing was Presto, from the D&D cartoon. You know the one...

I kind of wish I'd been more gentle when I was painting his hair, but it turned out okay.

I mostly took this picture to give a better look at his glasses...or at least one half of them.

The models were reaper's Adventuring Kids #1 and 2. Overall, I found them fun to paint. Also, thanks to Bertrand for the bases. They worked out a treat.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2018, 05:19:40 AM »
Cheers Berty! We'll have to paint together again sometime soon, before I run out of stuff!
If that happens you are doing it wrong.
You are supposed to run out of life before you run out of models to paint. :-)
That is why we all try and collect the biggest Lead Mountain. LOL

Grimm

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2018, 09:18:53 AM »
If that happens you are doing it wrong.
You are supposed to run out of life before you run out of models to paint. :-)
That is why we all try and collect the biggest Lead Mountain. LOL

Grimm

That's certainly seems to be a dream of Bertie's, but when one is between jobs, one's grey mountain becomes more of a grey hill. Ah, well I've got two things left to paint and about four weeks until moab, so maybe I'll get lucky and still have something to paint by then.

For now, let's look at the third last thing on my grey hill.

This is Aramil Goldleaf, a half-elf fighter from the village of Riverstead.

As the son of adventurers, Aramil was always a little rambunctious, but he was content to remain home as his friends went off to find their fortunes. Hey, someone's got to sell these fledgling adventurers their first swords!

After taking a thrashing from some local bullies who were picking on his brothers, Aramil received daily training from his mum. His form was atrocious during the fight, according to her.

After nearly losing his life during a minor demonic incursion, Aramil announced his decision to travel the world. Knowing that he was just going to go off and do it anyway, his parents outfitted him with the best equipment that they could provide. Now, he's off looking for wrongs to right and bandits to fight...but not necessarily in that order.

The model is the Crown of Fangs reclamation squire. Although it was originally a female model, I figured that I could make it male with a steady hand and a sharp knife...well, I had a sharp knife at least!

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2018, 01:47:39 AM »
And here we are, the last of the last. Good thing it's moab this weekend!

Thistle (on the left) was found abandoned in the woods by a circle of druids, thus creating the premise for fantasy TV's newest reality show: Several Druids and a Baby.

Acorn burst out of the ground on Thistle's fifth birthday and the pair have been inseparable ever since.

One day, the pair came across a trio of goblins. For an accomplished spellcaster and his elemental pal, they'd be no problem, right?

Unfortunately, one of the goblins was a spellcaster himself. The creature threw a vile bolt of magic at Thistle, who would have died if not for Acorn's intervention. After killing off the goblins for this act, Thistle managed to recover Acorn's core, which he holds closely to this day until he can find a way to bring his friend back.

The models are Wizkids wardlings. They scrubbed up pretty well, I reckon.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 01:50:42 AM by Vladimir Raukov »

Offline Tungdil

• Scientist
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2018, 07:35:07 AM »
Great figures, nicely painted.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2018, 02:42:41 AM »
Great figures, nicely painted.

Cheers!

Wait, what was that skulking around in the bush?

It's Longreach! Inspired by a shred of text I read during the end times about gold-crested skinks, I decided to paint one up when I found him hiding in one of my bitz boxes.

After completing his duty to the slaan to activate Xlanhuapec's temple-ship with his spawn brothers, Longreach now scouts the mortal realms in search of lost artifacts and nests of skaven to slay...that is, when he has the time.

He is indeed very small, but his spear makes up for it.

Drybrushing is unpredictable, but handy.

This is probably my favourite shot of him. I think he came from the bastiladon kit, which I added a standard skink arm and shield to, along with the big spear from the stegadon kit because I wanted to use it.

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2018, 10:58:50 AM »
Nice thread, love the little back stories

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2018, 02:58:34 AM »
Nice thread, love the little back stories

Cheers! I sometimes come up with things just while painting, or when I'm putting stuff online.

But do you know what sucks?

Being the last guardian of a temple in the middle of the desert. It's hot, it's lonely and there's nobody around to hear your various witty remarks.

To make matters worse, the temple was more or less forgotten by the rest of the world, so all the guardian's monologues about foolish trespassers were never put to use.

That's when it hit him: advertisement! If nobody came to him, he'd go out and spread some rumours of a temple filled with treasure! Then he'd have something to do!

With his mind made up, the guardian checked the temple's various traps and headed out to find some potential interlopers...or at least something more interesting than watching the dunes.

The model is reaper's avatar of thoth. I got it at moab's paint and take station this year.

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2018, 01:07:59 PM »
Amazing looking models! How tall is that avatar of thoth? He could make a pretty good Ushabti proxy.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2019, 11:38:06 AM »
Amazing looking models! How tall is that avatar of thoth? He could make a pretty good Ushabti proxy.

Cheers! The avatar's a little bigger than human size. Unfortunately, not big enough to be an ushabti...

Death happens a lot in skirmish games. So much so, that it might be a good idea to have some graves or corpse counters on hand...that, or just something to hide behind.

I did a few with fancy stone headstones and some with bodgy wooden ones with various levels of grass covering them. Doesn't matter if you're fancy or not though, death'll come for you. (and it'll be soon with rolls like mine!)

The graves are from bplaser. They're probably a smidge big, but it won't matter in the long run. They came in a pack of ten, but I'll be giving the others a post-apocalyptic flavour.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2019, 10:23:05 AM »
I'm back! For now, at least!

This construct was made at some point in the past, during a great war by a wizard who needed a little more protection.

The construct was given many gifts to complete its tasks, but the greatest of those gifts was that of versatility.

With its gifts, the construct was able to repair itself when damaged and survived long after its creator passed away.

It still defends the ruined tower that was once its master's grand home with as much vigor as it had when it was first made.

The model is the frostgrave large construct. I might have gone a bit heavy with the varnish, but it looks fine in person.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2019, 10:02:14 AM »
Whelp, guess I can't stop the fantasy train!

This is Big Mac. He's a big guy who prefers to be left alone. If you manage to befriend him though, he'll stick to you like glue.

Some say Mac was a regular man once, but when he came to the defense of a small woodland sprite, he was blessed with incredible strength.

Now, Mac's life is pretty much the same as it was. He wonders, he collects stuff and then he goes for a drink. Granted, he needs a bigger chair, but his money's as welcome as anyone's.

Nobody's sure where he got the hammer from, but good luck getting it away from him!

The miniature is Meck from Zenit Miniatures. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how he turned out.