Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:53:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: conan  (Read 7602 times)

Offline ace67

• Bookworm
conan
« on: September 16, 2008, 10:19:52 AM »
i have just orderd broadsword and from the talk around the forum
its based slightly on conan, i know very little about the chap
so any help to do with books to read and figure companies that might have the
right looking figs would be appreaciated
ace67
dont fire till ya can see the whites of there eyes

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: conan
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 10:37:07 AM »
Watch the films with Arnie in, they give a good idea............
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline UncleRhino

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 11:32:08 AM »
I guess it depends on which Conan you want to know more about.  You certainly have options.

1.  Go to your local bookstore and purchase The Coming of Conan by Robert E. Howard, the original author.

2.  Rent a copy of Conan the Barbarian, it really is not a bad movie, and still holds up fairly well almost twenty five years after release.  The second film is very much rubbish, but watch it for completeness, perhaps.

3.  Pick up a couple of issues some of the comics, currently, Dark Horse is doing a Conan series which a lot of folks like a great deal.  You can probably find some old issues of Savage Sword of Conan or Conan Saga, both from Marvel, in used book stores for not much.

4.  While at the used book store, check for Conan pastiches.  A pastiche is a story told by a different author than the original.  For example, The Hound of the Baskervilles was written by Doyle, whereas the Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula book(maybe books) was written by another author.  For a Conan example, REH wrote Beyond the Black River and Robert Jordan wrote Conan the Destroyer.

5.  Check out the Mongoose Games Conan RPG for some background, no need to buy it, really, you can probably just give it an extensive thumbing through at the game store.  I think when the first edition was released, I paid $50 for it, and that was and is a lot for one book.

Any of the above suggestions would be a fine introduction to Conan, however, I cannot resist inserting my own opinion, so here goes with that.  Take suggestion 1. and get the other two books (The Conquering Sword of Conan and The Bloody Crown of Conan) and read them through first.  Once you have read Howard, the other stuff just is not the same.

You might also check out this website

www.rehupa.com

RWF

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 01:39:33 PM »
I don´t really think the Conan movies are an accurate adaption of the novels, although the first one is rather nice entertainment.

You can find a lot of the stories over on Project Gutenberg of Australia, and over here in Germany, Heyne books (iirc) recently published a softcover collection of the stories in chronological order - I assume those collections (three thick books, if I´m not mistaken) are available in english as well.

In addition, the new comic adaptation is rather nice. I was given one of the books as a birthday gift last year, and they are very nicely done - note though that I am usually a rather vociferous critic of the current (ie 1975-now) American style of comics.

On miniatures, Rackham have a superb miniature of a "movie-ish Conan" in their Celts range:

I got mine very cheap at a clearance sale, so you might look out for those as well.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 01:41:51 PM »
Keep in mind that BA isn't about Conan in particular. Gaming the Hyborian Age (Conan's "world", which is meant to be a prehistoric era of our own world) is just a choice some of us here on the forum are making. That said, BA is definitely about Conan-style gaming so the Conan stories are a great place to start. Robert E. Howard was the creator of Conan, so I'd say his original stories weigh the heaviest. And don't stop at his Conan stories, there's also King Kull, Bran Mak Morn, Turlogh Dubh O'Brien etc. These are all Swords & Sorcery stories with more or less the same basic formula, set in different eras of the same continuity (King Kull's Thurian Age was the age preceding the Hyborian one, Bran Mak Morn was a Pict contemporary to the ancient Romans, Turlogh Dubh was an 11th century Irishman who fought the Vikings, and so on).

Many of Howard's stories are available for free at the Australian Project Gutenberg site, go to http://gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty-a-m.html#letterH and scroll down.

I think the first Conan movie is a good one. Sadly it mauls the original Conan mythology, but it tells a good story and sets such a great mood, heightened by the awesome soundtrack, that I like it anyway. I agree about the sequel being crap, but it might be worth watching for completeness. Same goes for the Red Sonja movie (which is supposed to be set in the same world, except they didn't get the license so they just changed some names around).

I'm quite unfamiliar with the comics. I've read a handful of chapters of the new Dark Horse one and it too egresses from the original mythology quite a lot, but visually it looks great and seems to capture the savage mood quite well. I suggest you stay away from the Conan RPG sourcebooks from Mongoose Games. I've just borrowed a few and have been reading through them, and they just don't seem right to me. They're almost turning the Hyborian Age into a "plain vanilla" fantasy world, which won't do at all. The cover art is about the only thing in the books that really captures the right mood, and that can be viewed for free on the Mongoose Games website. Much better RPG source material (if you're looking for that kind of stuff) can be found at http://hyboria.xoth.net/. It's a good resource even for those of us who don't play RPGs.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 01:45:56 PM by Rhoderic »
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 02:03:33 PM »
For minis I suggest some Reaper minis. Actually I'm about to finish a Conan figure today. Maybe I'll just post a picture. Bought him for less than 2 Euro at a clearance sale.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 02:13:53 PM »
I agree that the first movie was far better than the sequel.  Just try to ignore the fact that Thulsa Doom was Kull's nemesis and you'll be fine.  My biggest quibble was, why didn't they give him black hair? That's one of his defining features! Watch the second movie, though, to see how much Arnie's sword-handling skills have improved.  He's very impressive!
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 02:22:06 PM »
Oh right, got so carried away talking about source material that I forgot about the miniatures ;D

An exhaustive list of suitable miniatures is going to be absurdly long, largely because in the Hyborian Age, most if not all of the world's pre-gunpowder cultures are represented. So aside from the fantasy ranges, you'll also want to check out all the more flairful historical ones. Best is to choose one part of the Conan world where to start gaming your adventures, and get the miniatures for that before moving on to another part. I've largely figured out what miniatures I want to use for each specific culture, but so far it's all just in my head.

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 02:42:18 PM »
em4 Miniatures (http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Infantry.html)also stock a reasonable set of suitable barbarians and at GBP1.25 each you can't go far wrong. But the wonderful thing about BA is that you're allowed to use your imagination so I've just finished a group of Eureka's wonderful Frogmen who will be appearing in my first BA scenario.
I'll hopefully get a photo of them up later this evening.
I don\'t know whether to be a good example or a horrible warning.

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 03:38:05 PM »
em4 Miniatures (http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Infantry.html)also stock a reasonable set of suitable barbarians

Which, AFAIK, are the same Grenadier barbarians which are also produced by Mirliton. They have many more, although mostly in packs of 5 infantry or 1-2 cav whereas eM sells individual models. Remember to take a look at the usual gallery. Several sections there have fine barbarians from a multitude of manufacturers. That's where I got plenty of ideas for my barbarian army.

Black Tree has some Kev White barbarians for bargain prices. West Wind's Nordvolk are nice, simple miniatures with an appropriate low-tech approach. I think those together will already give you a wide selection of fine models for broadswording and battleaxing.

Offline ace67

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 07:38:42 PM »
well i would just like to thank you for all the comments
its been most enlightning, i have sent of for the chronicles of conan
which looks very interesting if the write ups are anything to go by
as for figures i will look into those that have been mentioned.
again thanks very much
ace67

Offline UncleRhino

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 12:28:40 AM »
The best thing about Howard's work is that his descriptions of cultures are very similar to their, much later, historical versions...ie...you can use historical miniatures for many of the societies you will want to represent.  Vikings for Aesir and Vanir...the list goes on and on and on. 

Figure out where in Hyboria you want to game and then take a good look at the source materials mentioned above, then look around at some historical miniatures, especially for everyday average models.

RWF

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 08:33:50 AM »
KeyanSark has a great thread here, concerning his quest to game Hyboria:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=159.0

It should give you plenty of ideas for figures etc  :)

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead for the Lead Mountain!
    • http://www.loresdelsith.net
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 01:17:44 PM »
And I feel obliged to inform my fellow lead-adventurers that this topic has evolved into a dense article that will see the light in the nov-dec issue of Cargad (an spanish e-zine). Even if you can't read spanish, the pictures and the manufacturer's name will need no more explanation. I will keep you informed about this.

--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
Keyan Sark - Coordinador de SithNET
SithNET - http://www.loresdelsith.net
TT - http://talisman.foro.st
http://displacedminiatures.com/keyansark
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 01:46:21 PM »
Let's not get too hung up on fur-clad northern barbarians though. In most of the Conan stories there's nothing of the sort. Even Conan himself typically dresses not in furs but after the fashion of whatever part of the world he's in at the time (which is usually the exotic lands to the south and east).

I'm just meaning to say that, equally relevant as your Celtic and Germanic barbarians, are your veiled Arabian dervishes, mysterious Far Eastern sorcerers and hideously masked African tribesmen.

BTW, looking forward to that Cargad article.