Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:18:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690721
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Kings Royal Rifle Corp Mounted Conversions in the Sudan? UPDATED w/PICS  (Read 6468 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Hi,

I need to (probably convert) six wargames figures into mounted versions of Kings Royal Rifle Corp. It is not so much the uniform I am looking for but rather pictures of then Corp mounted.

I was hoping that someone with more knowledge than I could point me in the right direction as regards images of the above said Corp?

Cheers,
Darrell.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 11:40:48 PM by Atheling »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Images of the Kings Royal Rifle Corp in the Sudan?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 09:49:20 AM »
Do you mean Camel-mounted in the Desert Column or as (horse) mounted infantry in the Suakin Expedition? I don't have pictures of either, but it might help to know in case someone has. What information are you hoping to find in said images?

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 10:25:27 AM »
Do you mean Camel-mounted in the Desert Column or as (horse) mounted infantry in the Suakin Expedition? I don't have pictures of either, but it might help to know in case someone has. What information are you hoping to find in said images?

Horse for the Second Battle of El Teb and the Suakin campaign Plynkes.

Darrell.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 10:57:43 AM »
I haven't seen a single photo from the 1884 Suakin campaign, I guess nobody took a camera. All the Suakin photos seem to be from the 1885 expedition and the KRRC weren't on that trip.

Again, what information are you after?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 11:01:18 AM »
I haven't seen a single photo from the 1884 Suakin campaign, I guess nobody took a camera. All the Suakin photos seem to be from the 1885 expedition and the KRRC weren't on that trip.

Again, what information are you after?

Uniforms and mounts. The Perry's don't do mounted versions and I will need to convert six of them. Maybe there are some sketches from that time?

Darrell.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 11:06:20 AM »
I have a description of the MI uniform from the 1884 Suakin expedition, even though I don't have any images:

...Grey frocks, Bedford cord pantaloons, blue puttees and ankle boots, with helmets stained brown; officers the same. (Brian Robson, "Fuzzy Wuzzy")

So basically the same as the Camel Corps. The only thing that would distinguish the Rifles from other MI and Camel Corps would possibly be black leather equipment rather than brown. Not 100% on that, though.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:09:13 AM by Plynkes »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 11:09:08 AM »
I have a description of the MI uniform from the 1884 Suakin expedition, even though I don't have any images:

...Grey frocks, Bedford cord pantaloons, blue puttees and ankle boots, with helmets stained brown; officers the same. (Brian Robson, "Fuzzy Wuzzy")

So basically the same as the Camel Corps. The only thing that would distinguish the Rifles from other MI and Camel Corps would be black leather equipment rather than brown.

Thanks- gratefully received  8).

Their mounts? Egyptian Ponies.... or would they have got to the stage where donkeys/mules might have sufficed? Serious question!!

Darrell.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 11:11:00 AM »
Gotta go do some work right now, but as I have Mr. Robson's rather good book to hand I'll delve in and see if he goes into specifics on that matter a bit later (around lunch time).  :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 11:20:24 AM »
Gotta go do some work right now, but as I have Mr. Robson's rather good book to hand I'll delve in and see if he goes into specifics on that matter a bit later (around lunch time).  :)

Thankyou Plynkes- appreciated as always.

Darrell.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 01:57:15 PM »
Okay, the reason I like this book is that the author goes into such detail about all the little things like uniforms, camels, number of boots used and such. Unfortunately I couldn't find a specific reference to the M.I.'s mounts. But the cavalry, whose English horses weren't acclimatised, were given Egyptian mounts taken from the Egyptian Cavalry and Gendarmarie. Their lack of experience with these horses would become an issue, as they found them hard to keep under control in combat. I would hazard a guess that the M.I. mounts came from the same source. They definitely rode on horses, not mules though.  :)

Just out of interest, there is a picture from the book of some M.I. from the second (1885) Suakin Expedition. But the text seems to imply that English horses were used by the mounted arm this time, as they are compared unfavourably to the small ponies used by the Indian Cavalry...

So perhaps not much use to you, but I thought you might like to see it anyway.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 02:11:30 PM »
Thanks Plynkes, you're a star  8).

Lots of conversion planning/hassling of Michael to do!

Darrell.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 12:11:05 PM »
Just a quick additional detail. The Rifle's equipment was indeed black leather, except for the bandoliers, which were brown leather.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 12:16:48 PM »
Just a quick additional detail. The Rifle's equipment was indeed black leather, except for the bandoliers, which were brown leather.

He-he, I actually knew that!  :)

Darrell.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 12:22:38 PM »
Plynkes et al,

I think you're the man for the job here (?).

Would I be better off using the Perry Mounted Camel Corp Troopers and mounting them on Perry Horses (that bit is essential to keep everything in scale- the horses that is) or using the Empress mounted Infantry?

Also, can anyone in the know please tell me if the Perry Mounted Camel Corp one piece castings?

Cheers,
Darrell.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 12:35:01 PM »
Unless cost is an issue (you will be paying for a bunch of camels you aren't going to need) I would use the Perry figures, as their uniforms and equipment are pretty much exactly right for what you want, whereas the Empress Zulu War figures have several little details that don't fit (tunic cuff lace, helmets without puggarees and lack of puttees for starters).

The Camel Corps figures are separate castings to the camels, you will be pleased to hear. I just tried one out, and despite the fact they are designed to be mounted on camel models, they look okay when plonked on a horse. Might need a bit of filling here and there, but they don't look out of place.

You just know that the minute you have finished the Perry twins will bring out some M.I. on mounts. That kind of thing always happens to me when I do conversions!  :)