Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:21:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Imperial Assault  (Read 3381 times)

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
Imperial Assault
« on: January 23, 2015, 06:02:00 AM »
I rolled my sleeves and painted my old Imperial troopers:

What can I say? Their box was taking up too much space so I painted them.

They're really not very good figures (especially the backpack fits are often hideous), so I gave them a quick dip-job basically.

More pics at:
http://www.smallcuts.net/
Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
Re: Imperial Assault
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 01:52:19 AM »
Very effective looking force :)

Offline Miantanomo

• Scientist
  • Ahhh, Crap.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 02:52:00 AM »
I think you're right about the backpacks. But other than that, I do like the look of them. Great job!
"If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die."
-Eddard Stark

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 02:58:37 AM »
I think the figures are actually pretty good.  What I would do though, is somehow slice those "boxes" off the top of the back packs.

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 05:58:49 AM »
I think the figures are actually pretty good.  What I would do though, is somehow slice those "boxes" off the top of the back packs.

They're supposed to be blanket rolls. How someone can roll a blanket that square eludes me, though.

The real problem is that the fitting is really bad. They backpacks attach to a stud on the figure's back. Unfortunately, the vanilla fit leaves the backpacks floating a quarter inch from the back. This problem is made worse because the pistol holster and the water bottle are actually attached to the backpack so if you can't get the fit close, they'll be hanging in the air.

I already shaved the studs down considerably but I still couldn't get a reasonable fit on all of them. Bluntly put, these figures just aren't worth the hours.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 08:59:56 AM »
Bluntly put, these figures just aren't worth the hours.

I beg to differ. For the money, these guys cannot be beat. And even though the plastic is of a very hard type, which does not bond with regular plastic cement (I normally use the Revell bottles with the needle applicator, but I had to use a tube of ABS glue for these) and makes it hard(er) to work the material, with a bit of work put into them, they can be great.

Here's my take on the first squad I did up:

Obviously, ther are still 30 more to go from the huge bag of plastic I split with a mate a couple of years ago (he got the 'Germans' I got the 'British'). There were 80 minis in that bag, and if I recall correctly, we got it at Crisis for €19,-. That's €0,24 per mini, including the base. Not bad at all I'd say.

And for that kind of money, I don't mind putting in a bit of extra work to get them looking good.

Too bad I frakked up the paintjob on this squad; I really like yours, so perhaps you've inspired me to dig them out again...

Oh; and I simply cut off the lugs for the backpacks completely, just to make them fit. I also cut off the holster and bottle here and there and rearranged them, just for variety's sake.

And my explanation for the bed rolls was that they roll the blanket around a box of some kind. Probably where they keep their kettle and tea bags safe and dry...  :D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 09:03:46 AM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 09:38:50 AM »
I beg to differ. For the money, these guys cannot be beat.

Horses for courses. I hate assembling miniatures and I'll gladly pay a bit more for a better quality product.

I'm not saying they're unusable. I just feel that getting them above a certain level is more work than it's worth really.

Yes, I could have cut off those water bottles and holsters and glued them on separately. That was just more work than I wanted to spend on these.

The detail is a bit soft (probably due to material choice), mold lines are badly placed (I shaved off pretty much all the helmet "horns" taking out the mold lines), there is just no excuse for having no detail on the other side of the gun etc.

P.S. I paid full price for these -- very long ago admittedly.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 05:43:55 AM »
Here's my take on the first squad I did up:

And a great looking take on them at that. I think they are great models for the money as well. Top notch? Nope but by far anywhere near the bottle of the barrel. Especially of things that are out there now.

And my explanation for the bed rolls was that they roll the blanket around a box of some kind. Probably where they keep their kettle and tea bags safe and dry...  :D
Seems we have the same thought process. I always thought that there was something wrapped up inside as well that they all have. Once guy rolling a blanket roll in a square is one thing. But a squad/force that they all did it means there is something inside of all the rolls. :-)

Grimm