Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:23:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690600
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Large 28mm Darkest Africa Gallery  (Read 41853 times)

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
Re: Large 28mm Darkest Africa Gallery
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2016, 09:05:08 PM »
I think Richard is the Cecil B. DeMille of diorama building.

PERFECT definition!  ;)
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2016, 06:04:24 AM »
FifteensAway, let me shift my focus for a moment to thank philhendry, gamer Mac, vodkafan, and dinohunterpoa for their very kind words.  I love it when these collections of mine are enjoyed by others and especially when I learn that they have offered inspiration because the work of the members of LAF has been an ongoing inspiration to me.  That said, I am deeply sorry to hear about your Mom.  Whether at 86 or at 59 as was the case with my mother, seeing this person who has been there for you throughout your life unable to care for herself is a pain I have known, and if I had some wisdom to share that would be of help, I would pass it along, but unfortunately my sincere sorrow for what you and she are going through is the best I have to offer.  On the far less serious side of life I look forward to seeing Africa spring to life in masses of 15s at your hands/brush.  As one who painted 6,000 15mm ACW figures I know the wonderfulness of that kind of crazy... please carry on.  Thanks for bringing Africa back; it caught me by surprise... I did smile for Darkest Africa has been a very bright spot in this hobby for me.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2016, 10:54:28 PM »
So cool to see this again.
All ways a treat.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2016, 01:27:40 AM »
Marine0846, thank you.  I've spent the last year working on my Gangsters "And Stuff" collection.  We finished taking the pictures last weekend... long photo shoot which took two days to complete.  I hope to have it posted in January... lots of picture selection and organizing to do first.  Hope you'll take a look at that one.  I'll be posting a link to it here on the Pulp page.  Thanks again for taking the time to write and the kind words.  Richard

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2016, 09:24:10 AM »
Bravo! Absolutely fab-u-lous, like all your galleries.

My only (minor) gripe is that I always lose so much time when I look at your website as I inevitably end up browsing  through the other collections as well. lol

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #125 on: December 18, 2016, 09:28:02 AM »
My only (minor) gripe is that I always lose so much time when I look at your website as I inevitably end up browsing  through the other collections as well. lol

You have my sympathy.
Been there, done that.
It is such a hardship, isn't it?
 ;)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2016, 09:04:20 PM »
Sunjester and Mason, thanks so much for your viewing investments... really appreciated.  Richard

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #127 on: January 27, 2019, 04:26:13 PM »
So, after losing the photos on my 'inaccessible' blog of my painted African animals - so far - I started to wonder when Richard first posted this gallery, 2015 it seems.  I posted my photos in 2012.  Was wondering because I recall Richard and I having discussions back and forth about Africa before he posted - though he is lightyears ahead of me (and just about everyone else!) in his modeling.  And that really came through loud and clear looking for this post - which I'm resurrecting yet again but this time for the selfish reason of not wanting to 'hunt' so hard for it again.  Since he posted this spectacle, he's posted many more complete collections and is about to post his fantastic doubled up Boxer Rebellion collection (in a month or so).  His output - and it's quality - just plain puts me to shame.  But, back to why the hunt and the threadsurrection.  I wanted easy access to this thread for inspiration as I get back into full swing (hopefully) on my 15 mm version, with some real inspiration from what he did in this thread.  And, yeah, I visit his blog, too, have it bookmarked, but I wanted the convenience here, too. 

Holy blitzspeedbrushing, Richard, you are phenomenal in your output.  Meaning all the new galleries you've posted since this one.  P-H-E-N-O-M-I-N-A-L!

Oh, don't know what happened with the inaccassability of the blog but I can't log into it so I'm just using my Tables of Adventure blog for now, maybe one day I'll figure out how to get back in.  And as to losing the photos on the Steeplechasing Zebras blog, I think I may have deleted the photos on my computer inadvertently and 'maybe' that is the cause.

Now time to go look at Richard's pretty pictures for inspiration.  Have fun if you are new to this thread!

edit: so, started re-reading this thread only to be reminded that most of the photos are on the book-marked blog.  Oh, well.  Maybe new people will discover this wonderful gallery - and all those others.  But do pursue this thread for a few additional photos.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 10:51:42 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2019, 12:43:20 AM »
FifteensAway, what a wonderful surprise seeing my Darkest Africa pop up once again.  As you well know I had a wonderful time "working" on this project because if offered so much opportunity to stretch my imagination.  Knowing how long your Africa project has been on your mind, I am sure you will give your imagination lots of exercise as well.  Thanks again for bringing this back.  I should go through it more often.  It always makes me smile.  Richard

Offline Alexis Tolmatchev

• Schoolboy
    • Le club des coeurs de plomb du sergent Poivre
« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2019, 08:07:23 AM »
Incredible work, seeing such a universe is amasing. Feeling is like watching some kind of movie from the 60's, I can almost follow the story of all this creation. From the images of childhood, up to the most documented situation it is really a great journey into your vision of Dark Afrika.

Chapeau bas ! as we say in old french.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 08:12:20 AM by Alexis Tolmatchev »

Offline Isasi

• Assistant
« Reply #130 on: February 01, 2019, 01:29:47 PM »
I have no words... wonderfully inspiring pictures.

Great work.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #131 on: February 02, 2019, 06:28:52 AM »
 It s from years that I admire your works...following your stories I used to go to various flea markets and purchase all kind of animals, pieces of toy set ‘landscape, trees, plastic buildings and boats ..now I ve quite a few items to began something Dark Africa ...in your picts I particularky liked the flying birds...maybe they are geese? Unfortunately I did nt find anything similar even looking trough wargame manufacture catalogues or Ali express type toys....any suggestions?
Thanks

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2019, 03:30:55 PM »
Alexis, Isasi, and italwars, thank you all for your very generous comments and for taking the time to write.  I appreciate it very, very much.
italwars, as to you question about where I would recommend getting flying birds, the best I can do is to tell you that if you are going to flea markets, keep going.  I have found wonderful things a the swap meet (the flying birds in my Darkest Africa and in my Gangster collections) simply because I go every week and keep my eyes open for things that might work.  That's how I found them.  The ones I used in my Africa and Egyptian collections were just on a table for 10 cents each.  I'm sure that the guy I bought them from didn't know who made them.  They came with long wires attached to their underbellies so I think they were used on cakes or perhaps in indoor floral arrangements.  The seagulls in my Gangster collection were taken off a broken Lemax or Department 56 lighthouse that I got a the swap meet for a couple dollars... the lighthouse was too small and badly broken, but the birds were great so I bought it.  My local swap meet has provided me with wonderful things but only because I go every week and keep my eyes open for things that might have potential.  I don't look for just specific things.  I don't limit my search to the project I'm working on at the time.  I buy swap meet stuff years in advance of when I actually do the project because finding great stuff at the swap meet takes time.  If the price is right (a few cents to a couple dollars) and if the item is really interesting I buy it even if I'm not sure at the moment how I will use it.  That approach has served me well.  I also love the hunt... that's important.  I think the birds that are in and seated on the cages in the Africa collection are Brigade Games.
Richard

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #133 on: February 02, 2019, 03:41:36 PM »
Italiwars - they might be a bit small for you, but check out Splintered Light Miniatures under Swarms.  They have ravens and bats.  Designed for 15 mm but 15 mm ravens can be 28 mm crows and the bats can just be a smaller species.  Hunt around in fantasy ranges also.  And, as Richard has often pointed out, check out HO scale railroad figures; I think I have a few stashed away somewhere for my projects (but don't expect to pay swap meet prices for model railroad figures!).  And he is right, check out cake decorating supplies for options.  You are on quite a quest if you seek to do a large Africa animals collection.  I'm already over 800 15 mm animals and suspect I will make it to 1200 by the time I'm done.  Recently discovered some new options, especially some foxes that might might work as jackals - another carnivore!  The company is Battle Valor Games but again in 15/18 mm size.  I do find being flexible in adapting "near enough" figures helps, a lot.  African cattle become wildebeest, horses and mules - and now onagers - become zebras.  Of course, it works a little better in 15 mm than larger scales where the adaption might not work quite so well.  Good luck and have fun.  I am!

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2019, 04:29:09 AM »
italwars, this may prove difficult to find, but Mega Minis made a collection of 25mm/28mm birds.  Unfortunately, Mega Minis went out of business, but many of their figure lines were purchased by other companies and are still in production.  When I was doing my 28mm Spaceport collection I was looking for space alien musicians that I could use as the band in my spaceport cantina, and I found the old Mega Minis.  When I discovered the company that purchased the Mega Minis space alien collection I found that they had ownership of other Mega Minis figure lines as well, and I think the Mega Mini birds were one of them.  Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the company that owns them now, and I didn't write the name of the company in my Spaceport write up because I ended up using different figures for my spaceport band.  Sorry that I can't be of more help, but I know that the old Mega Minis birds are still out there somewhere.  Maybe someone else knows who is selling them these days.  Richard