Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:30:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My adventures in FIW  (Read 6939 times)

Offline Orange

• Student
My adventures in FIW
« on: February 09, 2015, 04:50:42 AM »
Hey all,

I've just recently gotten involved in the French & Indian War setting. A friend of mine loves the history and has been wanting to play, but until recently we couldn't find a rules system we wanted to use.

I've dabbled in Songs of Blades and Heroes for a little while, and when the rules for Drums and Tomahawks came out, I sent him a link to buy the rules and he loved it. So a few purchases later, I've started on my force:

I've decided to do British, specifically Pennsylvanian colonial troops. I've been using the Conquest miniatures, and though I like the sculpts, the lack of variation means I'll be getting some of the new Wargames Factory plastic ones to add to my force once I've finished the metal ones.

You can also see a couple of my frontiersmen there, I've got a few more of them as well as some of the settlers that will be fun to use in scenarios. The one below is my favourite so far:

My friend has put a great table together, and along with this he's building a river to go along with a Sarissa mill he got. He's yet to paint all of his force, but once he does I'll take some pics of our games.

Really enjoying the SDT rules, and looking forward to the Beaver Wars supplement, which will of course "force" me to get some natives as well...

I'll put up more pics as I get them, otherwise comments and criticism welcome.

Offline folnjir

• Scientist
Re: My adventures in FIW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 09:31:35 AM »
Looks like a good start.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 01:02:34 PM »
Looking good. I also like your frontiersman :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 01:16:05 PM »
Hello and welcome  :)
That's a very nice looking table. Well done to you and your friend. Looking forward to seeing more.

Offline Orange

• Student
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 01:15:52 AM »
Thanks guys. That's my favourite frontiersman, I've taken to naming him Neil Diamond :)

I gave him some interesting rules, as a lone wolf sort of character. I gave him Q3 C3, hero, marksman, rifle, woodsman, tomahawk and scalper (the scalping was a scenario thing). Unfortunately scalping was his downfall--he would work really well sitting in cover and sniping away, but he had to claim a trophy and didn't last long to the enemy focussing their fire on him!

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 01:52:51 AM »
Good looking figures and terrain.
I too have just started playing the same set of rules.
I like them a lot.
Hope to see more posts as you move along with painting your figures.
Also, welcome to the Forum, it a great place.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 03:08:15 AM »
Love the figures, and that table is a beauty! It has the run-down look of a frontier settlement. As far as the figures, that regular trooper on the end has the expression of the day! Part lecherous, part joyful. Like he's spotted an Indian woman and can't figure out whether to shoot her, or... :o

Seriously, glad you like the rules! We're playtesting the Beaver Wars as fast as we can. Luckily, my friends are devious enough they come up with just about any eventuality -- including one player in our first tabletop battle beginning to flee the field before taking any losses. So, as soon as I feel it is thoroughly tested out, I will release it. And painting Indians isn't so bad, just keep repeating to yourself, "Magua will kill Gray Hair!"  lol

Keep the pics coming...!

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 08:40:15 PM »
That's my favourite frontiersman, I've taken to naming him Neil Diamond :)

lol

I do that too.
I've got a Mel Gibson.
:)

Offline Orange

• Student
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 03:47:56 AM »
Thanks Mike, yes he looks particularly creepy in that picture, he's not normally like that!

No pressure with Beaver Wars, we've borrowed some scenarios from SBH and its expansions so we have some for now. But looking forward to it nonetheless.

We did a scenario where everyone had the scalper rule, and whoever had the most scalps carried by living models at the end of the game won. We made it so you could voluntarily 'fail' your scalping quality check, which we always did.

Made for a bloody day, as everyone had to rush forward. Not sure I'd do it again but it was fun to try it.

Offline sespe

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 12:50:00 AM »
Thanks guys. That's my favourite frontiersman, I've taken to naming him Neil Diamond :)

I gave him some interesting rules, as a lone wolf sort of character. I gave him Q3 C3, hero, marksman, rifle, woodsman, tomahawk and scalper (the scalping was a scenario thing). Unfortunately scalping was his downfall--he would work really well sitting in cover and sniping away, but he had to claim a trophy and didn't last long to the enemy focussing their fire on him!

I like it because he ends up as sort of a 'flawed hero'.  He's a Simon Girty type.  In Red Dawn he'd be carving notches in his AK.. 

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 04:40:53 PM »
Well, mine is a Daniel Boone.

Lovelly miniatures and scenario.

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 04:25:49 AM »
Great looking terrain and figures. Nice brush work!! I especially like your last picture...very realistic!! Thanks for sharing!!
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 11:46:47 PM »
Lack of variation???  With the exception of the British and French regulars, there is not a duplicated pose in the range.  In my opinion, there is too much variety.

Offline Orange

• Student
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 06:03:09 AM »
Thanks guys.

Nick--yes, the regulars are the ones I want, so more variation would have been great. They're obviously designed for larger scale games where you want uniformity, but yes there's heaps of variety in the other types.

Offline matiec

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 01:21:25 PM »
Looking good, noticed your use of the thick base for the very small warlord captain. I purchased some but in the end gave up. I use M&T rules and got into the period with the official warbands gripping beast sell. Whilst they are really lovely figures they are on the large size and warlord just don't fit. This has made me think I need to get them out again soon. Good luck...M