Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:02:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686601
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Zombie Science  (Read 5612 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Zombie Science
« on: September 21, 2008, 02:19:41 PM »
First of my CDC/Not-Umbrella Corporation types (apart from the NBC troopers of course).

Hasslefree:

Eureka Soviet NBC troopers, from Fighting 15s, that i've converted slightly.  Have changed the facemasks, but removing the tubing, and adding a side ventilator, made from plastic tubing, plus removed the AK47s, and given the pointing NCO something to restrain zeds/infected people with.  The zombie detector (listening for guttaral growling)is just a trimmed down inverted radiation detector:

Finally, another Eureka Soviet NBC Trooper - again trimmed down tubing, but with a ventilator on the front, to match the Eureka Bundeswehr, that i've painted in US ACU.  Also altered the helmet shape to make it look more american than soviet.  Undecided yet whether it will be used as a flamethrower (pretty ineffective against the undead), a gas dispenser for an anti-zombie agent..."but sir, how can he breathe it in when he has no lungs..." or as a riot cannon, to immobilise test subjects.

Apart from the last one, none of them are armed, and so would of course need protecting if they aren't to become lunch for a roaming zombie.... [/quote]
 :)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Re: Zombie Science
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 02:30:43 PM »
Very nice Akula.  :D
I particularly the NBC suited conversions.  8)
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 03:14:26 PM »
Love those blue gloves!

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 04:53:28 PM »
Excellent scientist chappy.I assume that he is as mad as a box of frogs?Most are you know... lol
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.

Offline Snate56

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 05:32:40 PM »
"ineffective against the undead" per se. Still quite useful for cutting back the disease vectors. I would imagine getting bitten by a flaming zombie might not spread the disease as easily.  :D

SteveN

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 07:04:56 PM »
Great work, Akula :)  I especially like both of the scientists!

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 02:49:05 AM »
I like the conversions and the thought you put into the poses and gizmos. The side ventilators on the masks make them look much more modern and civillian.

-Eli

"I See Lead People"

Visit I SEE LEAD PEOPLE!

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 10:05:38 AM »
I like the conversions but how do they scale out with other ranges ? I'm just starting to paint some Eureka Zombies so am curious about getting something else from them.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 10:09:48 AM »
Excellent scientist chappy.I assume that he is as mad as a box of frogs?Most are you know... lol

I resent that remark. Personally I'm as mad as a bag of cats.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline audrey

• Scientist
    • My Oubliette
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
The figures look great Akula. Looks like I will be Eureka NBC troopers to my "want to get" list.
Mistress of slayage

My Oubliette:
http://audreysoubliette.wordpress.com

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 09:06:21 PM »
I like the conversions but how do they scale out with other ranges ? I'm just starting to paint some Eureka Zombies so am curious about getting something else from them.

I'll try and sort ut some piccies at some point, but basically the eureka sovs are 28mm to the eye socket, and fit in well with pretty much everything - i've got zombies from a dozen manufacturers, some are chunky, some are thin, some short, some tall - but then so are people.

likewise with the other troops - my "breathers" include Eureka, TAG, hasslefree, blackscoprion, griffin etc etc.

I also tend to base everything on 2 pence pieces (or washers), slots get trimmed, some have a bit of milliput on the base to build them up, so pretty much anything goes.  ;)

Offline the commissar

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 09:53:04 PM »
It's funny how perceptions of anti-Zombie strategies differ - I thought a flame thrower would be pretty good, obviously not an instantaneous effect but very cleansing in the long run.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 09:03:39 AM »
Have a read of Max Brooks, World War Z, and Zombie Survival guide, or google similar - some interesting viewpoints on what makes a good anti-zed weapon.... :)  Of course its all speculation, so whatever you like goes!

I'd go with the Romero, "destroying the brain" is the only way to go - in which case, unless the Zeds are held back by a high wall, or a moat, they are going to cause additional problems before their brains pop.....so they couldn't break into your barricaded building, but now its on fire, you are going to have to jump....that sort of thing. ;)

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 09:33:31 AM »
Very nice stuff
like it all a lot  :D

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 08:41:03 PM »
It's funny how perceptions of anti-Zombie strategies differ - I thought a flame thrower would be pretty good, obviously not an instantaneous effect but very cleansing in the long run.

This has proven disasterous in many zombies stories, movies and games. The flaming zombie will not die immediately and will wander about spreading fire death or charge his engulfed body right at you. Now, he's not just a zombie, he's a zombie fire bug!!!