Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:24:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Argonor's Dark Ages Stuff  (Read 56561 times)

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
Re: Argonor's Dark Age Stuff
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 10:04:19 AM »
What a coincidence, I've been thinking of doing hex-based cave modules as well. (After I start/finish some more regular dungeon terrain...)
What size hexes are you aiming for?
There are several online hex generators (for example: http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/hexagonal/), but they're limited by paper size.
Or draw your own: https://www.google.nl/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=o7QCVcyqNon5-gaYgIH4Bw&gws_rd=ssl#q=how+to+draw+a+hexagon
An alternate is to get one laser cut?
I've been considering just getting a hex from Litko's terrain system, next time I order some markers.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2015, 09:31:20 PM »
I need to make a template that won't be damaged from the hot wire, so I think the method will be printing a hex the desired size, then cutting it out and glue it to some wood or metal to saw/cut to shape.

First, I was thinking of using fairly small hexes (20 cm across would be about the largest possible size if I wanted to store them in printer paper boxes). Would mean a side of 10 cm, though, which is not quite enough for cave walls to be modelled, so I think I shall have to go larger.

That Litko plate may be just the right solution, thanks!

I shall have to make a template for cutting the walls the same shape at the joints, too, but that is a minor thing compared to the hex-problem (which is probably solved, now).

If you get on with hexes before I do, please report your results and experiences!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2015, 10:42:27 AM »
You're welcome!
I'm not sure how soon I'll get to my own hex caves, like I said, I want to build a regular dungeon first (which will be this year's terrain project, hopefully) and I'm already juggling two projects at the moment...
But if I get there before you, I'll share my experiences!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2015, 09:44:09 PM »
I know what you mean - my own progress is painstakingly slow atm, as real life projects/chores keep getting priority when I have some days off (although today's foray into Darkest Jutland to pick up a bunch of second hand LARP gear for the girls and me, plus a real longbow for my firstborn is kind of realted to the D&D project, as we are aiming for a similar outfit as the player characters').

AND that I'm working at both a new unit for my GoB undeads (although they shall probably make appearances in the RPG. too), and doing stuff for the It's Alive Painting Club does not leave a lot of time for the Fantasy Vikings project. Well, hopefully I can finish the skellies during this week, and get the Pulp stuff almost completed soonish, too...  ::)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 07:31:38 PM »
After almost finishing a skeleton warrior unit for a God of Battles army, I decided it was time to sart building a Viking army for that set of rules, too.

I am using the Blood Gorged list from GoB (further details on my blog).

The first 24 pts will consist of 30 models, to be expanded on as soon as the Skirmish force is ready for battle.

Our RPG project will continue soon - me diving into the Viking plasics has already made my daughters ask if they can start painting their character models soon, and I just have to make space on a table for us to establish a common painting area where we can sit down together and the girls can put base coats on the models.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2015, 12:21:47 AM »
Just ordered shield transfers and some Viking banners from Little Big Men.

Need to finish some units in a hurry, and with the Price on GB plastics, I think I can afford dishing out a bit to save on painting time (besides, I just received a subsantial tax refund  :D )

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2015, 12:47:06 AM »
Aaaand, ordered the LITKO hex-thingy to use as template for the hex-caves.

Its expensive doing night-watches....  ::)

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2015, 07:11:53 AM »
Oh yes, the bane of late night shopping... A real budgetkiller.
Great to see this progressing!
Looking forward to seeing your daughters (and your) paintjobs.
(My son is nearing the age where he can be expected to start painting as well. Better step up his education on "proper wargaming" before he hears the siren call of a certain Evil Empire. Especially now they opened a store in our city...)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2015, 09:25:09 PM »
He won't be able to afford their stuff on his allowance, anyway  lol

But shiny nights with colourful livery, and dark age warriors of various kinds with nice shields and savage faces should be more than sufficient to draw the attention of a wee lad!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 01:29:53 AM »
A bit of Progress from yesterday.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2015, 07:08:08 AM »
The warband looks to be shaping up nicely!

He won't be able to afford their stuff on his allowance, anyway  lol
Too true. Hell, I can't even afford most of their stuff on my "allowance"  lol

Hmmm, you've got me thinking though, I do have some old Foundry Vikings laying about. Some of them are lacking shields however, so I'd need to find replacements first.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2015, 07:14:40 PM »
Hmmm, you've got me thinking though, I do have some old Foundry Vikings laying about. Some of them are lacking shields however, so I'd need to find replacements first.

If you get the GB Dark Age Warriors, and build some of them as a slinger unit, you'll have plenty of spare shields (those are IMO MUCH better than the 80's style custard pie shields supplied with a lot of dark age minis).

I used a bunch for a GoB unit of old GW plastic skellies, and I'm very pleased with the  less 'cartoony' look they provide.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2015, 03:48:15 PM »
Thanks for the tip! I'll ask around of any of my buddies have some spare (don't really need even more Vikings myself).

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 02:53:47 PM »
darn, got thet litko hex today, but it is WAY too small. It is 14 cm ACROSS from flat side to flat side, it is not the flat side that is 14 cm.

I think I may have to ask Fenris Games if they can make me a bigger one. I need one that is precision cut, so that the resulting foamboard hexes will fit nicely together.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2015, 04:39:13 PM »
Oh, darn! I  hadn't realized that... Sorry for giving you sub-optimal advice.   :(