Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:40:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690825
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 725
Total: 729

Recent

Author Topic: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (update: D&D(&D))  (Read 267006 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (Trolls! Heresy giant!)
« Reply #1170 on: July 05, 2019, 05:15:14 AM »
Thanks!

I've been neglecting the forums lately. Work got extremely busy, I've had to travel a lot the past two months, and I've had a lot of overtime, late nights, etc. I'm hoping things return to normal soon.

I've (barely) managed to keep up with the Old World Army Challenge, and finished my final entry -- for June.

More words and photos at the site: https://oldworldarmychallenge.blogspot.com/2019/07/zerotwentythrees-june-sea-elves-316-pts.html

I'll be posting a fully army shot & OWAC wrap-up soon. I think I missed sharing my last entry -- it's also on the OWAC, as are a lot of other great oldschool WFB armies.

For a change of pace, I'm thinking about painting an old dragon. I stripped some of my old ones a while ago. Here's my available options:

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (OWAC Sea Elves)
« Reply #1171 on: July 05, 2019, 11:43:40 AM »
Great stuff, that Elven chariot looks superb

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #1172 on: July 05, 2019, 09:37:20 PM »
Nice Marsh troll in the background.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #1173 on: July 22, 2019, 06:28:23 AM »
Nice Marsh troll in the background.

Thank you. You are the only one to comment on that intentional irregularity.  ;)

Still waffling on the dragon(s). But I painted some more hobbits...

And put together my first Oathmark human, which will be the start of a small faction (very) similar to the half orc faction I've been painting the past few years. In fact, I plan on having enough human bandits/rebels/rough mercenaries to combine into a single large army.... if they could ever be united.   ;)

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (Hobbits; Oathmark humans)
« Reply #1174 on: July 22, 2019, 02:05:47 PM »
I'd never really looked at the Oathmark humans very closely, but he does look perfect for that kind of bandit role. I shall have to investigate further! Those hobbits look great: full of character.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #1175 on: July 28, 2019, 07:43:24 AM »
Thank you!

I experimentally put together some more Oathmark humans. Ten total so far. I mixed in some Citadel bits on half of them (mostly heads). I tried out the advice in the replies from the last entry on my blog. I ended up cutting the bases completely off because it was fairly clean & easy. I went with the Citadel beveled bases because they then fit pretty cleanly on those, and also I'm out of my home-made bases and don't have the patience to wait to cut them. ;) But the Citadel bases also help give a little extra height to the minis.

At any rate, the bits mostly mixed well (just a little neck trimming) and they rank up better than I had thought they would! I'm thinking if I pick up a second box, I can field two regiments of 25 melee troops, plus 10 archers. A good core for a small bandit/rebel/militia/whatever force.

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #1176 on: July 28, 2019, 04:12:47 PM »
Love the figures.  Additions of GW bits also look very good.  I am not a big fan of the shields, though. 

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
    • It's a Hobby, not an Addiction!
« Reply #1177 on: July 28, 2019, 08:29:15 PM »
Wonderful work, and I love those hobbits! Where are they from?

The Oathmark minis look interesting, particularly with the alternative heads, I’m looking to get a box of their Dwarves out of curiosity.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #1178 on: July 29, 2019, 06:06:02 AM »
Love the figures.  Additions of GW bits also look very good.  I am not a big fan of the shields, though. 

The shields seem pretty divisive. When the figures first came out I knew I would eventually get some, and my initial plan was to replace the shields with round ones. But after ruminating on it for a while, I decided to use the rectangular shields for a different look than usual.

They remind me of the shields that come with some of Foundry's ancient Germans. I may even paint some ancient German/Gallic animal designed on them. They also look a bit like flattened Roman scuta, which evolved through a number of forms, both oval and rectangular, flat and curved. (But AFAIK never had the flat + rectangle combo.)

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_yziCKq0YlOo/Sk5l5qkndBI/AAAAAAAAAYA/N5MOXd_uZ_I/s1600-h/gerinf4.jpg

Plus, I'm using ancient Germans (including some with similar shields) as the Undeadish -- corrupted bandits & mountain folk. So it works for me in an unexpected way.

Wonderful work, and I love those hobbits! Where are they from?

The Oathmark minis look interesting, particularly with the alternative heads, I’m looking to get a box of their Dwarves out of curiosity.

Thanks! With the exception of the lass on the far right (from Reaper) the hobbits are from Westfalia Miniatures. I've painted & posted pics of some of their other hobbits in past updates.

I really like the look of all of the kits from Oathmark so far, with the possible exception of the dwarf heavy infantry. Hardly an original idea, but I keep thinking about small scale skirmishes in the First Age of Middle Earth/Beleriand using mostly Oathmark.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #1179 on: July 29, 2019, 12:49:13 PM »
Some very nice progress in the last page or so - keep it up!
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #1180 on: August 12, 2019, 06:17:43 AM »
The more of them I put together, the more I'm good with the rectangular shields. They've really grown on me, and seeing a unit put together looks good.

Hey.... also, I played some games (of some sort....)

https://www.zerotwentythree.com/2019/08/of-grill-elemental-evil-and-even-more.html

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #1181 on: August 12, 2019, 02:40:40 PM »
Hah! You need a unicorn for the army now.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (Witch Hunter & New Board)
« Reply #1182 on: September 03, 2019, 03:23:33 AM »
It's been a good holiday weekend. Weather didn't completely cooperate, but for the most part things went well. I got some work done around the house, barbecued some chicken, and enjoyed some down time with my family.

I also got a bit of personal/hobby time in. First off, I painted the Witch Hunter, and started putting a bit of paint on his next few followers.

I hung a new light to brighten the little corner of the cellar that I paint in. It's almost too much light! When I turn my old task light on at the desk, it doesn't make much of a difference, and in fact casts a bit of a shadow. Things may get rearranged. This also may happen because...

I also made a new 3x3 game board. Hopefully I will get to use it for some small skirmish gaming, like Rangers of Shadow Deep. But I also wanted someplace better to take photos of figures. It took a few days (mostly waiting for glue/paint to dry) but the actual work that went into it was brief and easy. The new board matches the larger table/boards I've currently got in storage.

I threw together a makeshift backdrop and tested out a few angles for photos to see if the lighting will work.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1183 on: September 03, 2019, 09:40:31 AM »
all looking fantastic.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #1184 on: September 03, 2019, 11:39:13 AM »
Brute! The axehead on the Orc, that's from a bloodthister? It' seems he knows his way with it  lol
Leadhead