Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:30:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (update: D&D(&D))  (Read 263494 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (elf wardancers)
« Reply #1275 on: April 03, 2020, 09:03:41 PM »
Very nice. Echo that conan comment too.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (wood elves and plague)
« Reply #1276 on: April 23, 2020, 02:51:55 AM »
My April entry for the Old World Army Challenge is up. I had planned on taking the month off and painting giants, as I do every April for a few years now. But I just wasn't able to get into the giants. But I did paint up an interesting variety of figures for my OWAC wood elves. Close-up photos and wordy words at the website, link below.

http://oldworldarmychallenge.blogspot.com/2020/04/zerotwentythrees-april-wood-elves-1029.html

I also painted the old Citadel Plague Elemental. With that, I finish set, which have all been painted previously (over the course of 30 years... it's been a long project for just seven figures.) The very timely & relevant Plague pictured below. The other Citadel elementals, as well as some others I have, are in another recent blog entry.

https://www.zerotwentythree.com/2020/04/elementals.html

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #1277 on: April 29, 2020, 04:23:26 AM »
I need some more (half-) orc brutes for my solo Sellswords & Spellslingers campaign, so I'm dipping into the small stash of Reaper Bones orcs that were slated for conversion into Fomorians. (That project seems to have lost steam for the moment anyway.) Here's the first. There's a second one on the painting table that should be done soon.

I also got some Stuff! In the Mail! Powrie from Cauldron Born Miniatures. Awesome sculpts. Can't wait to get some paint on them.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1648985407/rise-of-the-powrie

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #1278 on: April 30, 2020, 02:48:34 PM »
Great stuff, I like the skin color on the brute.

I also got some Stuff! In the Mail! Powrie from Cauldron Born Miniatures. Awesome sculpts. Can't wait to get some paint on them.

Nice, I'll be curious to see your take on them. I went with flesh tones myself.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (wood elves)
« Reply #1279 on: May 28, 2020, 02:06:21 AM »
I completed my May entry for the Old World Army Challenge! 14 more stealth wardancers. http://oldworldarmychallenge.blogspot.com/2020/05/zerotwentythrees-may-wood-elves-294-pts.html

Did some weapon swaps on some of the duplicate figures for variety, including the guy on the right with the twin axes... Slamb-eöl aka Glambo.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #1280 on: May 28, 2020, 02:50:31 AM »
Nice, I'll be curious to see your take on them. I went with flesh tones myself.

Did you post yours here? I didn't see them (but would like to!)

I failed to post the Powrie I painted so far! Have been dealing with compounded phone/computer/image problems anyway, so that may be for the best. But now maybe I can rectify that!

I opted for a crazed demonic vibe...

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1281 on: May 30, 2020, 10:10:49 PM »
Did you post yours here? I didn't see them (but would like to!)

I don't think I posted them on LAF, I should start a fantasy thread I guess :)
They're on my blog though:
https://miniatureextravaganza.blogspot.com/2020/01/cauldron-born-miniatures-powrie.html

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #1282 on: June 01, 2020, 05:10:36 AM »
I don't think I posted them on LAF, I should start a fantasy thread I guess :)
They're on my blog though:
https://miniatureextravaganza.blogspot.com/2020/01/cauldron-born-miniatures-powrie.html

Wow! Extra creepy with those flesh tones, and the rust/patina on your metals is perfect. I really like the terrain in the background as well.

Yes, start a fantasy thread please.   ;)

The Powrie are one of my favorite miniatures purchases of the past year. Another is the Midlam Miniatures hobgoblins, which for my own personal use I'm referring to as hob-orcs or.... more half-orcs. I've still got more set aside for some minor conversions (mostly just simple weapon swaps.)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Re: Marienburg vs. the Undeadish (a lot of random stuff right now)
« Reply #1283 on: June 01, 2020, 05:26:00 AM »
Also...

This weekend we've had some beautiful weather, so my family took advantage of it with a back yard cookout and fire. I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but my wife and daughter enjoyed some s'mores! Stress has been getting to me lately. The pandemic isolation had been increasingly difficult. Aside from missing friends and family, we're both working full time at home, trying to help our daughter manage at-home schooling (can't wait for Summer break!), and what seems like an endless stream of household maintenance issues/emergencies requiring attention/repair. Enjoying the outdoors has been something good to focus on.

I hate complaining about work or being stuck at home because I know there are so many people struggling with a lack of work (and related money problems), or more stressful jobs dealing with the public or medical health issues. I hope all of my fellow LAF'ers are doing well, I hope you're all healthy and safe.

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1284 on: June 01, 2020, 02:46:05 PM »
Those hobgoblins look great! I don't think I've ever painted anything from that company before.

The isolation has been a weird experience for sure, and can get stressful.

Your kid's school year hasn't ended yet? How long does it run?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #1285 on: June 02, 2020, 03:33:44 AM »
Those hobgoblins look great! I don't think I've ever painted anything from that company before.

I like these hobgoblins so much, I'm taking a closer look at some of their other ranges now...

The isolation has been a weird experience for sure, and can get stressful.

Your kid's school year hasn't ended yet? How long does it run?

Next week is her last week before Summer break. Looking forward to it. She's not been handling schoolwork at home very well, and it's difficult for us to act as teachers and councilors while still putting the time in on our own work each day. Hopefully we enjoy some more cook-outs and fires in the coming weeks. We're talking about a back-yard camp-out since all of her Girl Scout camps & activities have been cancelled for the Summer. (They're still doing stuff online via Zoom, but that's not the same thing.)

Offline randycarter

• Scientist
« Reply #1286 on: June 02, 2020, 06:40:26 AM »
Hold on man, we are with you. I have many friends with children and in these times they had various trubles, I simpathise with you. Here in Italy the lockdown is slowly relaxing and things are slowly getting better. It's hard, but it will change. Have a good backyard camping!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #1287 on: June 03, 2020, 05:53:37 AM »
Thank you. We're doing OK. It's just a big adjustment.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 02:34:45 PM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #1288 on: June 24, 2020, 04:51:24 AM »
I'm getting worse at keeping up with various social media. I'm sometimes posting things in one place, but not others. I'm horrible at replying to other people's posts because I usually read them on my phone but hate replying because I have giant sausage fingers that plague my text with typos and accidental autocorrects.

At any rate, an update....

I'm trying to get through the last month of the Old World Army Challenge, but struggling. I've already met the minimum requirements, so I'm technically in the clear. But I had some remaining figures I wanted to include, and would like to finish them for the sake of "completing" the challenge army. (I know full well no project is ever "finished." But I'd like to complete what I have on hand.)

Along those lines, I painted a tiny "bonus figure" to go with the OWAC wood elves. Because I'm easily distracted. I believe it's from a pack of familiars from Reaper.

While digging through bins of old figures, I came across most of an old Nurgle chaos warband, painted long ago....

STUFF! IN THE MAIL!

I finally received this giant forest troll, Lempo, from the Sandstorm Miniatures KS. Another Drew Williams sculpted troll to add to my growing collection. The little details are amazing. For scale reference, the grid on the cutting mat is 1" x 1".

I also made a couple of impulsive Clearance Sale purchases online and the order arrived within a couple days. One was a couple of sample packs of Scotia Grendel (former Harlequin sculpts, I think) orcs that I've been eyeing as possibilities for more half-orcs/hob-orcs. Here's a scale comparison pic. The Stygian orc (left) is at the smaller end of the scale, the Greater orc (Uruk) is at the larger end, especially if he was standing up straight. Accompanying them are painted orcs/half-orcs/hobgoblins from Grenadier/Mirliton, Black Tree, Midlam, and Reaper.

The other thing I bought was a bargain purchase of a resin inn from Blue Moon Manufacturing. Looks great, but trying to do a dry fit today I couldn't get the parts to align like they do in the second pic (stolen from the online shop.) Once I get that resolved and painted, I expect it will look great, though!

Also, I've been resurrecting my old gaming table in my garage, and hope to use it for some larger solo or remote games. More on that later....

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1289 on: June 24, 2020, 09:38:06 AM »
great stuff.