Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:39:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690455
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Is this figure really worth 40€?!  (Read 3901 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Is this figure really worth 40€?!
« on: February 20, 2015, 06:11:00 PM »
Was interested in an old Mithril figure on here, the M37 Cutpurse, but was outbid.

I searched online and found two for sale, one on the German fleabay for a shocking 25€ and one on a French site for an absolutely insane 40€! It's not really selling for that much, is it?! This is just some crazies overcharging, I hope?

I mean, I have other Mithril figures, including the M1 Galadriel and she only set me back $10 (and I have seen people pay $80 for her).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 06:14:41 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Is this figure really worth 40€?!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 07:10:38 PM »
Well my answer with absolutely no knowledge on the topic is no. Unless this is in a 1:24 scale, then maybe. But it's 28mm so no. Even if it's super rare that's ridiculous.
Cue comments... Market sets the value... Blah blah... People pay what they think it's worth... Yadda Yadda yadda.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 07:25:11 PM »
Well, that's the thing. Just because someone lists something for a high price doesn't mean that's what it's actually selling for. I am trying to establish what it is actually selling for.

Offline Bloodsbane

• Scientist
  • AKA FKSN
    • I'm a drawer
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 07:49:37 PM »
If we're talking ebay, you do know there's a button for searching sold auctions rather than live auctions, right?

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 08:25:55 PM »
Sure, I use it all the time, but didn't see any for this thing.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 08:47:07 PM »
Take no notice of the daft prices some people ask for.

I have recently put together a sizeable Melnibonean force using the old Citadel figures.
Ebay has some stupid buy-it-now prices on there but I would not consider paying them, up to £16 for a single infantry figure.
I paid, on average £3 each for mine, and have nearly a hundred, all acquired from sensible people via sale or trade.
Some people do think that these inflated prices are the 'going rate' but they are sadly misled. 
One recent potential seller told me that I was basically deluded if I thought I could buy them for £3 each and said that he would keep them until 'someone who really wanted them' came along.
Good luck to him but I have plenty now from more reasonable people who have been a pleasure to deal with.

Forget the daft price tags and be patient, mate, you can find it at a sensible price elsewhere.
  ;)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 09:07:24 PM »
Well if anyone has one, I'd be happy to pick it up for a fair price.  lol

I did find one after all that sold for 9€, I just had to search using German words. Which is a little high, but fair for a rare figure. It's just a beautiful sculpt - very dynamic and well proportioned.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 12:11:15 AM »
Ditto what Mason said. In my case I've been looking for various Warmaster high elf and 10mm Battle of Five Armies bits. Some folk stick blisters or even single models on ebay for £25-£80. That more than anything else has convinced me I need to sculpt myself some 10mm elves! Though I have managed to find stuff for much more reasonable prices.

The other thing is plastic rat ogres from the Warhammer 8th ed 'Island of Blood' starter set. I've buying some of those up for a while, on and off. In my experience the auctions and BINs starting below £10 for one or two sell like hot cakes, but I still see the same painted rat ogres, BIN ~£20 for one, sitting unsold for months!

Again, what Mason said. It might not be much comfort but you just need to keep an eye out for the cheaper items: the ones that zip through because they're what people are willing to pay.  ;D I've been tempted to put in a fairly low offer on some goofy-price BINs, partly to be a jerk, but not yet...

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 12:47:12 AM »
I imagine though that a lot of the sensible prices may have it labelled as something rather generic.

Steve63

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 12:56:00 AM »
sitting unsold for months!
and there in lies the problem, all of the ridicules prices have really only started since ebay started letting people list items for free, indefinitely.  When you got 2 weeks then you had to pay the listing fee people were keen to sell, now certain unscrupulous individuals are happy to let their tat sit there for months because it cost them nothing.   

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 01:12:00 AM »
I think Steve63 is right.

Alot of GW stuff seems to be getting ridiculously expensive. My Necromunda "Mad Donna" would now be around $45 to replace.

"Mad times we live in, mad times."

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 01:15:01 AM »
You think miniatures are mad, I've played Magic the Gathering for 20 years. THAT'S market madness.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 01:37:41 AM »
You think miniatures are mad, I've played Magic the Gathering for 20 years. THAT'S market madness.

You bet ya.
I once saw a guy at a convention in Eindhoven (some 20 yrs ago) with a tiny stand with only 3 cards for sale. He managed to sell 1 of them.
Yep, you guessed it, they were Black Lotusses and if memory serves me well, he got BEF 40000 for it (which is € 1000)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Arthadan

• Scientist
    • Forge of Doom Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 10:39:07 AM »
According to the main Mithril collector site, the right price is 8.70 €:

http://mithril.faerylands.eu/display.php?reference=M37

I advise to go to the Mithril Faerylands forums and ask for it there, quite probably you can get it for a fair price.

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 01:02:06 PM »
It's a resellers market on eBay. I am hopefully trading a M16 Female Ranger for an equally rare Dragontooth miniature. On eBay they go for insane money. Far better to trade stuff imho. Too many bloodsuckers out there  :(