Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:28:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vikings series 3 on Amazon prime  (Read 10404 times)

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
Vikings series 3 on Amazon prime
« on: February 20, 2015, 07:44:57 PM »
Just getting kids settled upstairs then going to start watching it can't wait. :-*

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Vikings series 3 on Amazon prime
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 10:09:55 AM »
Enjoyable episode. It's an entertaining program that's for sure. The only liberty they take that I cannot let go is the way they portray the Saxons. Their arms, armour and sheer ineptitude really grates and I find I spend the battles feeling annoyed. What the hell is with those cavalry helmets?!

All in all though, fun! :D

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 10:41:38 AM »
I'm bit fed up its one episode a Friday,and yeah they won't be 100 percent accurate,but it's enjoyable.

Offline matiec

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 11:21:17 PM »
Just watched it and it is great fun...........now I am no expert but what are those helmets and the shiny scale mail the saxons are wearing ? If they are appropriate perhaps somebody could provide a link.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 12:15:02 AM »
I'm sure someone was wearing a sort of 16th century helmet. 

It's massively ahistorical in places, but it's an enjoyable romp!

Online Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 08:10:35 AM »
As a historian and as a Dane I absolutely and utterly hate the series.

But if I watch it as a fantasy show I can tolerate it.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 08:31:06 AM »
I must admit, I have really enjoyed it, but the Helmets and armour on the Saxons I find hugely annoying, but then its something you see a lot in these pseudo historical series. Happened in the Borgias too which I thought was also particularly good.

dodge

Offline krakenskulls

• Assistant
  • krakenskulls.com
    • Kraken Skulls Consortium
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 08:26:41 PM »
Yeah, I am by no means a snob when it comes to history and Hollywood, or movies would all be un-watchable. That said, seeing a helmet from the Renaissance was really jarring, and it honestly made it kind of hard for me to focus on the show's story. Someone in the production had to have told someone in costuming "hey, loads of costume errors, but that helmet is, you know, *really* wrong..."

As long as they don't make a lot of claims to be documenting history I enjoy it well enough, like Dr. Zombie said, as a fantasy.
James
Partner in Kraken Skulls Consortium
krakenskulls.com

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 10:39:43 PM »
Yep, pretty sure those were the very same mid C16th burgonets they used for The French army in The Borgias - the two series come from much the same stable, albeit not the exact same production company...
I suppose that for the Borgias, set around 1500, it's forgivable licence. For Anglo-Saxons in 8th Century Wessex, it's clearly a complete abandonment of any semblance of the historical accuracy which was supposedly the aim of the series in the first place... How the vikings really lived, realistically portrayed.
Obviously our Scandanavian friends here on LAF have been pretty sceptical from the beginning, but I must say I very much enjoyed the first two seasons.
But the glaring 'couldn't give a toss about historical accuracy' on the wardrobe front in episode 1 of season 3, does make me question somewhat, all that has gone before...
The whole thing also felt a bit lame and laboured to me. Slightly disappointed... Let's hope it picks up.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 07:51:33 AM »
Yep, pretty sure those were the very same mid C16th burgonets they used for The French army in The Borgias - the two series come from much the same stable, albeit not the exact same production company...

Oh dear.....   lol

I know we can never expect anything near full historical accuracy in a film of TV series but that's just mad!

Having said that, I haven't personally seen the series since getting rid of Sky (an event that causes me more distress over the coming Cricket Test series than watching TV!!) but in all honesty I'd probably watch it all the same  o_o :).

If things got too much I could always desist!

Darrell.

Offline Nevyen

• Scientist
    • 5th Column Wargaming
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 10:41:35 AM »
I agree Anglo Saxon portrayal is really really annoying, and I agree its fantasy so i treat as such.   I get annoyed as well as they claim to have done allot of research.......

I wonder who they talked to!

Offline Old Guy

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 10:53:10 AM »
Why does anyone in an historical drama, no matter what the period, wear armour? They fall like flies to sword slashes, knife thrusts or even a heavy punch while the hero, at the first opportunity divests himself of his helmet and/or shield, usually the only protections he has.

I like how the small number of Vikings slay every warrior they come across at almost no loss to themselves, but when the village was attacked by just such supermen, the women, old folks and children held them off, or at least slowed them down for a long, long time.

Shades of Braveheart there, but an enjoyable romp, just remember to put your brain back in when it is finished.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 11:39:36 AM »
Why does anyone in an historical drama, no matter what the period, wear armour? They fall like flies to sword slashes, knife thrusts or even a heavy punch while the hero, at the first opportunity divests himself of his helmet and/or shield, usually the only protections he has.

I like how the small number of Vikings slay every warrior they come across at almost no loss to themselves, but when the village was attacked by just such supermen, the women, old folks and children held them off, or at least slowed them down for a long, long time.

Shades of Braveheart there, but an enjoyable romp, just remember to put your brain back in when it is finished.

True.

In reality chainmail or mail as it was actually called could be penetrated by direct sword thrusts. It was of much more use of the chap wearing the mail was moving, this created a glancing blow which the mail would deflect if you're with me?

Darrell

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 12:04:33 PM »
Let us hope when the Bernard Cornwell series Last Kingdom arrives, be more historical than Vikings.
Although i like the series as an entertaining one. :)

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 07:29:59 PM »
I must admit I didn't like a thing about this show.

One funny note though, was that I found it really annoying that they spoke English. Of course they have to do that. I understand, but it actually (as a native of these Northern parts) ruined the illusion more than any custome or weird hair cut did.  :D
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com