Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:25:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689705
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 733
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Old West Horror  (Read 7673 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Old West Horror
« on: December 20, 2006, 11:10:55 AM »
How do you guys think about an idea I have:

Use the LOTOW-system for games in the style of Deadlands or something alike. Would that be possible/playable? I do not own LOTOW myself, yet, but....
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Old West Horror
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 12:04:40 PM »
Not to hijack your thread too much, but you may want to take a look at GutShot as well. The guys over at Hawgleg did a pretty good job with the rules and I know they have run some zombie old west games with them.

http://www.hawgleg.com/
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Old West Horror
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 12:30:33 PM »
Sounds like it could work. I believe the LOTOW rules are based on GW's LOTR system, so I guess it would work for horror as well as fantasy.

On the flip side I have used Westwinds Vampire Wars rules for Old West shootouts! :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Old West Horror
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 12:30:43 PM »
I´ve rebased various of my Deadlands stuff for use with LotOW, although I´ll readily admit I´m more of the machiney addicted type... I´d have no problem to pit my automaton horde against Everglades Zombies mounted on Alligators...

Only problem is that many Deadlands figures are not only far taller than almost all other OW figures, but also require bases larger than the usual 1 inch-wide... I´ve cut off the base of my Huckster to fit him onto a 25er, although my Automaton Posse looks good as is on 40mm GW cavalry ones:

More pics: http://www.dminis.com/scratchbuilder_christian/images.html?galleryId=671&from=The%20Old%20West

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
Old West Horror
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 02:02:54 PM »
Are the Deadlands miniatures still in production?
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Old West Horror
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 02:49:55 PM »
You can still get some from Jeff Valent Studios, but given the bad rap they´ve got lately at TMP, I´d be careful about ordering from them... might be better to check with Ebay or stores for "remainder product"...

As said, IMHO only the automatons and vehicles can really be used with other firms (most notably foundry) since I find them to be really large and different in style...

Offline SgtPerry

• Mad Scientist
    • Perry's Heroes
Old West Horror
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 03:16:23 PM »
On the Miniature Wargaming website, there's a free doc file with some basic rules to use LotOW System with Vampires nowadays.

http://www.miniaturewargaming.com/

It should be rather easy to use it for Old West adventures. It reminds me an REH short story... :)

The doc is here

http://www.miniaturewargaming.com/files/uploads/VampireLotOW.doc

Olivier

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
Old West Horror
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 06:02:19 PM »
I like the idea and I interesting how you work it out please let me know.
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Old West Horror
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 07:09:57 PM »
Thanks for the input. I'll certainly consider both LOTOW and GutShot. I like to have more than one ruleset covering a theme, as it is often nice to switch (or even mix) rules to get the feel, that I like....

Offline Kris

• Lurker
Old West Horror
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 09:48:28 PM »
If you are you looking for a system to do a Deadlands miniature roleplay game you should take a look at the Savage Worlds Rules. We use them for all our settings, they are easy and fast. The new Deadlands book is also based on the Savage Worlds ruleset.
There is also a Savage Worlds expansion ( forgot the name ) that allows the players to create a Posse, Gang, Party, whatever and just go shoot the other players' men, no GM required. Last person to have some men standing wins. Havent tried it yet tho.

Offline zbyshko

• Scientist
Old West Horror
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 12:52:39 AM »
at Cold Wars this past weekend we did a fairly large (11 - 12 players) game of All Things Zombie with a Wild West setting.  Scenario involved cowboys coming off the trail to live it up in a town that is oddly quiet.  each player had three figures, one on horseback, two on foot - mainly as those were the only mix of figures we had available.

it went quite well - smooth and fast, but i believe the same would have occurred with the Savage Worlds rules.  the whole thing took 2 1/2 hours - but then the game company is called Two Hour Wargames.
\"I drank WHAT!?!\" - Socrates

Offline mahon

• Bookworm
    • Chest Of Colors: All About Miniature Painting
Old West Horror
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 09:39:01 AM »
I love all the Two Hour Wargames I know... Good rulesets.
Mahon
Chest of Colors: All About Miniature Painting

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Old West Horror
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 09:01:57 AM »
Sounds good.... I'll have a look at those rules at some point. When I get throgh painting minis, making terrain and writing stuff up for my pending pulp-scenario... may take some time, I'm suffering from 'painting-blockage' these days  :(