Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:00:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689492
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Space 1889 - sky galleons of Mars - Fleets review and flypast (in 1/600 scale)  (Read 19829 times)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
You're a bad man showing all these again  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Ironclad Paul

• Bookworm
I hope showing them has had the desired effect  lol and you're now thinking of making your own...

Sorry, but look forward to seeing them when finished.  :D

Paul

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
What rules did you use for this game?
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
These are quite fantastic.

Thank you for posting the images.

Tony

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
What rules did you use for this game?

He speaks of his home-brewed on the second page, including how 'They were a version of my spaceship rules which have also lasted.'

I queried him a bit on these on Starfleet 1889 thread, but not to the extent of asking for a copy.  ;)

Doug
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 04:11:43 PM by The_Beast »

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
I'll have to ask James for a copy

Offline Ironclad Paul

• Bookworm
Chaps,  in an odd sort of way both of my current threads are converging simultaneously

The rules I use for the sky galleons are my own creation which are called 'DTS naval'. It stands for dramatic tactical system.   I also use a variant of the same system for my generic spaceship games 'DTS space'.   Both involve graphical plans of the ships divided into 'compartments' upon which damage is literally (and spectacularly sometimes) marked.

The naval (and flyer) version is only 3 pages of rules so I'm thinking maybe I could scan them with a few pages of flyer plans and just post them here. If you think that would be useful.
They don't exist virtually (eg Ms word), only on old printed sheets.
Anyway, will have a think and put them up later maybe.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
lovely stuff, thanks for showing it  :)

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
The naval (and flyer) version is only 3 pages of rules so I'm thinking maybe I could scan them with a few pages of flyer plans and just post them here. If you think that would be useful.
They don't exist virtually (eg Ms word), only on old printed sheets.
Anyway, will have a think and put them up later maybe.

Please do scan them. They may be perfect for a project I'm working on :)

Offline Ironclad Paul

• Bookworm
Ok, for what its worth, and as requested, here are my rules.  well, DTS naval in its last form from 2002.   I should really tidy these up and post them on the free wargame site sometime. Ive scanned the 4 pages of rules as literally that is the format they exist in!  I never got round to typing them up properly for some reason and the ones you are looking at were cut and paste versions, and a bit tatty too!

Anyway, also scanned are the ship sheets for a fair few 1889 flyers, mostly designs you may recognise from a well known game, though some are made up and all of the canal boats are made up to suit models I had lying about.  Hope it prints ok if anyone decides to have a go.

I used to play on large hexes, 3 inch mostly but bigger too with large ships filling multiple hexes (HMS Warrior fills about three 3" hexes!).    The only thing I would point out if anyone tries them out is that when you take a hit, the target owner marks his own damage wherever he fancies on his ship, in the face towards the enemy, and the damage result is marked to cross a whole 'compartment' on the ship (not a system in a compartment).  The compartment may contain multiple systems, all suffer the damage effect.   Remember the cumulative effect of damage on morale and the ability to float, or fly.

It is (for me anyway) pretty easy to make your own ships up.  just draw the outline of your ship and populate it with compartments and systems in the compartments.  I do have proper creation guidelines and there is a points system but my heads melting just thinking about how to get that all in presentable order so I probably wont bother.  Just have fun with what's there and the concepts maybe.

any questions, just ask.

When I do finally get it all tidied up and put on the free wargame rule site, there are many many pages of naval ship sheets, including ancient galleys, Armada period, napoleonic ships and at least 25 pages of naval ships for the Victorian period and ACW.

I know, it should read 'Dramatic Damage System' but DTS seemed better and it stuck.
Enjoy. (I have for the last 15 years)

maybe someone should put a link in here from the 'Rules' sticky too..

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
Great stuff. I'm looking at the possibility of doing similar with 1:200 scratchbuilds ;)

These rules would also work with our 'grand scale' 28mm Martian air fleets if we could work out sensible ways of repesenting altitude with our 28mm nefs and skiffs.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Love it!  :D

cheers

James

Offline mdomino

• Librarian
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread. Lovely models. If I may, where are the terrain models from?
Thanks.
Mike D

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
You have MY gratitude; after the several queries previous, I missed the above images.

HUGE dopey moi!  :o

Thanks IP!!!

Doug

Offline Ironclad Paul

• Bookworm
Hi, sorry have been lapse online these days. The terrain in the 1/600 pictures comprise; 
6mm mdf boards with 2" hexes cut and pasted from random model railway grass sheets. The canal is a thin separate piece of hardboard with a paper photocopy of 2" hex grid stuck on then sprayed lightly with blue. The banks are thin white wood strips glued on the canal edges. The boards are 2' x 18"
The buildings are a variety of sources-
Mediterranean flat tops are scratch built in card with texture finish.
Domed buildings are from a boardgame called 'hotel' which has many other great micro buildings too skyscrapers/hotels for modern period. Used to be cheap but now getting scarce.
Some others are aquarium resin castles.
City walls are metal irregular 6mm range which I quite like.
Some red roofed buildings are from a boardgame called 'cathedral' which has some really nice and odd plastic buildings.
Hills are polyfoam and roads cardboard.
Jetties are bases of 'hotel' game buildings.
Red weed is doormat cut up and sprayed red, it gets everywhere after the Martian tripods appear!
Most items were free (card) or very cheap, though as I mentioned the secondhand board games may be priced now.
Here's a shot of two 1889 small boards/campaign games also.