Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:33:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689838
  • Total Topics: 118300
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "B'hoys!" review??  (Read 2606 times)

Offline grendal

• Bookworm
"B'hoys!" review??
« on: September 24, 2008, 12:20:38 AM »
has anyone seen and or played the "B'hoys!" rules? I would rather hear some reviews before spending $15 on a PDF.

the figs look great though (and are cheap to boot!)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: "B'hoys!" review??
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 08:41:01 AM »
I have played it a couple of times. Not a bad set of rules and yes the figures are very nice.

You build gangs with some figures having attributes etc. there is a build up to the fight where they face off against each other. Fire arms are kept to a minimum more a case of knives, bricks and clubs.

the combat can be a bit confusing really because of the the way it is shown but actually it is pretty simple.

A nice set of rules over all with some nice period writing from Patrick et al

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 10:49:57 AM »
Haven't got them, yet, but I will when I've gotten around to buying and assembling some of the B'hoys Towne buildings.

Patrick just was so friendly as to redo some of his Mean Sets and Streets into A4-pdfs for me (to prevent printing problems) when I purchased some about a week ago... so to all of you out there who does not use the American paper format - just ask him - all his paper stuff seems available as pdf, and as far as I can tell from looking at the pdfs on my pc, they're VERY nicely done.

End of commercial  ;)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline number9

• Librarian
    • breadandwargames
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 03:45:44 PM »
I've had the rules since they came out, but I've yet to get a game in. Having read through them many times I think they look rather solid. I'm not a big fan of the hexagon-basing or the mechanics surrounding model facings but that is primarily because I like my figs to serve multiple purposes for multiple games. It would not be difficult to approximate with circular bases that have 6 proper arc markings, or fiddling with the rules down to square bases. Other than that, I think it is pretty well done and looks very entertaining. The scenarios especially looked quite good.

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 09:35:57 PM »
When the game first came out, I bought the rules, my friends all the figs. I played in a game run by Patrick Wilson himself. Pretty much the two gangs came up to each other, threw some taunts, then fought. That was it. Although I was initially really geeked about the game, I can't remember specifically, but I left cold. We never played the game and the figs were buried in the lead archives.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 10:20:15 PM »
When the game first came out, I bought the rules, my friends all the figs..... We never played the game and the figs were buried in the lead archives.

Should be available as 2nd hand, then..?  ;)

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 01:18:28 AM »
When the game first came out, I bought the rules, my friends all the figs..... We never played the game and the figs were buried in the lead archives.

Should be available as 2nd hand, then..?  ;)

Not when you're a rules junkie like I am.  :)