Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:48:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Game of Generic Medieval Roses: War of Thrones! (Perry Plastic Fun)  (Read 6063 times)

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Hi All,

Like every other medieval fan around these parts I've decided to dabble with the Perry plastic sets. I bought 1 set of mercenaries, 1 set of bills and bows and 2 sprues of Agincourt archers. I'm working on some generic, a-little-bit-war-of-the-roses-a-little-bit-game-of-thrones type retinues.

Tip of the hat here to LAF's very own Captain Blood and Stuart from this excellent blog - http://stuartsworkbench.blogspot.co.uk/ (who I believe posts rounds these parts too). Although I;m not working on the same thing as either of them, their kitbashing really tipped me over the edge - enablers!

Being a pedant at heart, the first group I made were some pike and pavise armed mercenaries using the better armoured torsos and the brimmed helmets - I'll be expanding them as a force of foppish but well equipped and trained mercenaries.

But I've since bashed through the 12 agincourt archers I had and am very pleased! The clothing is slightly more generic medieval than the WotR stuff which is closer to some of the stuff I've imagined. I've also managed to entirely avoid arming them with bows (except for the 1 hornblower) which is a bit of an achievement.

These are all very much very WIP - I'm not to shoddy with the greenstuff, so scuse the gaps and missing bits; I'll sculpt the clothing and hood-neck things (what are they called?!) and add some upper sleeves (hence the slightly sloping shoulders at the moment). 'Scuse my pictures too, I'm not so hot at those.

This first group is 5 swordsmen, the captain/sheriff/baron that leads the group and the hornblower. There's a couple of heads from other sets that will need the necks tidying and the like. The bodies are fairly static so I've tried to get as much movement out of them as possible with head and arm positioning.

Then we have 3 spearmen. The flash has made it look like I've left mould lines, but I've scraped them off.... honest!

Then 3 crossbowmen - really pleased with them, the static bodies are better here.

This is the leader again - I think I might sculpt a big belly on him, I like the idea of him being out of shape from over indulgence. The pointing hand is from the zouave command frame (more on that in a future post). Yhe arms are from the mercenaries command sprue.

This is just one of the swordsmen, but I like the detail of him resting his hand on the hilt of his sword.

Hopefully I'll get some greenstuff and paint on these by next week. c&c welcome.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Game of Generic Medieval Roses: War of Thrones! (Perry Plastic Fun)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 10:53:29 PM »
Excellent start and some nice posing there (not often you hear that ;))
Welcome to the Perry plastic addiction therapy group. (All we do here is feed the addiction... )
It's about to get exponentially worse of course, with the addition of the imminent mounted light cavalry set. Even more options.
Agree with everything you say about the Agincourt-Orleans set. I'm finding them a perfect base for Game of Thrones conversions, and yours look brill - you have the knack. Looking forward to seeing more  :)

Offline Miantanomo

• Scientist
  • Ahhh, Crap.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 01:05:21 AM »
I just got some Perry's recently. Until then, it had been all Deus Vult from Fireforge. I think that Perrys are just a great model. Can't wait to see more!
"If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die."
-Eddard Stark

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 06:02:14 AM »
There are some quite subtle yet clever conversions on display here  :-* :-* :-*

Very much looking forward to seeing more!

Darrell.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 07:29:49 AM »
very good start indeed
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 02:21:32 PM »
Oh man another thread to tempt me into buying Perry Med. Nice work.

Offline Monty

• Scientist
    • Monty's Caravan Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 03:06:27 PM »
Interesting start !
I'll hâve to follow your progress although the danger is great that I'm addicted to Perry plastics as well... Actually I am already I presume...    ;)
Please visit my blog: Monty's Caravan

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 04:09:55 PM »
Some good looking stuff. I'm very tempted to get some HYW stuff but do I really need another army?!
The only point I would make is have you thought about metal washers for the bases?
It stops them from falling over on hills!
Personal preference I know and please feel free to tell me to naf off :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 04:27:48 PM »
Some good looking stuff. I'm very tempted to get some HYW stuff but do I really need another army?!

600th year anniversary of Agincourt on October 25th.... of course you do!!  :D

There's that other skirmish over the border that has an anniversary this year too.... but that way lies madness!!  :D ;) :D

Darrell.

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 07:38:43 PM »
Really like these, the brigandines and 15c accessories work really well for the GOT look, well done !

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 07:59:52 PM »
Thanks everyone, really appreciate it. Kind words from the maestros!

Got the first layer of greenstuff on this evening so making progress. Half tempted to order another box of mercenaries and more archer sprues and fill the group out a bit more but I think I should get these done and also wait for the light cavalry box so I've got more options. I'd also quite like to make a set of 6 mounted and then try and model the same 6 blokes dismounted for small skirmishes where models can be unhorsed.  That's not to mention an entirely seperate idea of using all the handgunner type parts to convert a feudal-sci fi contingent. Fun fun.

Hope to have some more to show off soon.

Offline SaxonBlackwater

• Assistant
  • You are not my liege
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 02:22:31 PM »
Might have to abandon my plans for an Agincourt retinue and paint up the rest of my agincourt minis as Bear Island archers!

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 04:07:59 PM »
These threads are pure eye candy. :-*

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 06:16:48 PM »
Thanks gents.

No photos to add but greenstuff is finished and black priming is done and dusted. Got a few days off this week so might be able to show them off finished next weekend. I ordered 2 more sprues of archers today - I want more crossbows... To my eye it's the most successful conversion.

Oh and Steders^ Ive always used plastic rounds when I individually base because I store in cake tins using small magnets in the base. Works brilliant for 15mm metals and 28mm plastics, 28mm metals sometimes need 2.

Cheers everyone.

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
    • EndTransmission's random gaming things
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 08:23:13 PM »
Great looking poses there. Nice to see another perry thread ;)