Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:55:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686663
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painting War - Forthcoming Publication on the SCW - (Now with added Flak)  (Read 31911 times)

Offline David

• Scientist
Will this be out for Claymore or will it be Warfare or Christmas this year ?

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Yeah, what is this? A video (showing my age!  ;)), a book, a magazine?

An occasional magazine. It is produced here in Spain (here in Málaga in fact  ;) ) by the same people who produce the Spanish wargaming magazine 'Breaking War' and can be found on the same web page.

Will this be out for Claymore or will it be Warfare or Christmas this year ?

It will be ready 'mañana'.  ::)  I was hoping it would be next after the Pacific WWII one, but the British Napoleonic one has appeared instead.

Offline Durutti

• Scientist
    • view from the duck pond
I keep seeing teaser pics on FB

Damn its a "must buy"  I wish thy would announce a release date  >:(

Offline Londoncopper

• Scientist
Very inspirational photos, if I didn't know better I would say those Minairons 20mm Milicianas were actually 28mm!

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
Very inspirational photos, if I didn't know better I would say those Minairons 20mm Milicianas were actually 28mm!

Probably why I keep pestering Lluis to actually do them in 28mm...all of them, not just the Milicianas
And judging by the comments on this forum I'm definitely not the only one.
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
No you're not... particularly as the Empress range has 'stalled' and that Luís is a SCW fanatic. I suppose it really comes down to how comfortable the sculptor is with working in a different scale. Excellence in 20mm does not always translate to the same in 28mm and vice versa.

Offline Durutti

• Scientist
would love to see them in 28mm, and if Minarions continues to release such great figures in 20mm, and Empress stay quiet, then I may just switch my allegiance to 20mm   :)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
I never thought I'd hear you of all people say that.  :o

However I'm feeling very much the same way myself. Thankfully my investment in 28mm (outside of 'adventure games') has not been at a level where it would cause me any heartbreak.

Offline Durutti

• Scientist
My 28mm collection is fairly extensive, and TBH did'nt cost me too much  lol

The Minions stuff has got me thinking though, plus there are lots of nice useable kits in 1/72nd that can be pressed into use, I am wavering and if more sets appear, I may invest in a set or two.

I'm watching, and waiting, I did hear something a while back that Empress were going to add to their range, but it never materialised, and since then they have added to other ranges, and added new ranges, so I'm guessing that the rumour was nothig more than, just a rumour. Perhaps the SCW does not sell so well.

I did ask Paul if he wanted to sculpt some stuff for me again, but he is so stacked up with work, he had to say sadly not this time.
I am toying with the idea of doing a bit of converting, and sculpting to get my own figures, have already scratched myself some guns (Maxim-Tokarev being one) and have a few butchered minis lying about, awaiting a transplant or two  ;D

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
I must say that I was impressed by the 20 mm range an especially the females. My collection of 15mm SCW went to a good home, but seeing the 20 mm with a score of vehicles etc has sparked my interest.

Good cheer my friends,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
Back in my youth 20mm was 'it' for WWII and I do find 28mm somewhat 'cramped' for even platoon games... even with a modified ground scale of 1"= 3 yards/metres (which would be almost right for 15mm).

When you look at Minairons' range, which expands at a fairly regular pace, Paul Hick's start on Empress's 20mm WWII range, some of Tony Bousted's figures (some look 'small head-big ass' to be honest though) and of course Tony Barton's sculpts, you can see 20mm has upped its game in recent years.

To be honest I'm not sufficiently good at painting to do 28mm figures justice, in the same way as some people only have a face fit for radio... maybe 20mm might be more forgiving for my 'style'.
 lol

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Back in my youth 20mm was 'it' for WWII and I do find 28mm somewhat 'cramped' for even platoon games... even with a modified ground scale of 1"= 3 yards/metres (which would be almost right for 15mm).

When you look at Minairons' range, which expands at a fairly regular pace, Paul Hick's start on Empress's 20mm WWII range, some of Tony Bousted's figures (some look 'small head-big ass' to be honest though) and of course Tony Barton's sculpts, you can see 20mm has upped its game in recent years.

To be honest I'm not sufficiently good at painting to do 28mm figures justice, in the same way as some people only have a face fit for radio... maybe 20mm might be more forgiving for my 'style'.
 lol

You can still use a paint roller on 20mm. :-)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
My secret is out.  :(

I do use a cut-down emulsion brush for the eyes though, I am getting better.  :D

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
My secret is out.  :(

I do use a cut-down emulsion brush for the eyes though, I am getting better.  :D

I look forward to seeing some of your work. Do you get much time in Spain?

Cheers,

Helen

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
I'm a reluctant painter to be honest, I'm all for the research and the playing, it's just the bit in the middle I struggle with. I didn't do much before I came here and my figures and paints are in the UK. I actually do get a fair bit of time, especially in the Summer, but with a temp between 35-40° in the day and 25-30° at night I'm not sure how that would effect things.

Add in that I'm uncertain where I'm going to be established permanently and the need to travel light if/when I do move, I've got a good set of excuses why not to paint. It's something I hope to change though and there are a few ranges I'm actually dying to have a go at... I've been contemplating getting a 'travelling paint set' together for when things cool down. Certainly getting hold of figures is not difficult, I'm blessed with two FLGS roughly equidistant from here (e-minis in La Línea and Málaga), who stock pretty much everything I might want.