Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:46:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690694
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1009
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Railway Embankments & Weathered Track  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
Railway Embankments & Weathered Track
« on: March 02, 2015, 02:15:07 AM »
This is something that has been on my to-do list for waaay too long now, so it's nice to finally see it take shape.

I'm starting out with enough straight track for a 9' table, including a small level-crossing, using 18" lengths (the crossing is 12"). No doubt I'll want to make more soon, including curves and a proper station platform to go with my neglected wee station...

These are built up from carved 'pink foam' pieces textured with acrylic caulk and fine sand. Brown, raw sienna, tan, 'sand' and green ochre hued paints were used to paint and drybrush the pieces.

This is HO track, primed white and weathered with multiple washes of thinned out brown and black inks. The rails were hit with a Tamiya brown and then given a polish with some 6B graphite.

Still not sure about what I'll use for ballast, but right now I'm leaning towards a mix of grey with a touch of brown to tie it in to the rest of the scenery. After that all that will remain will be the flocking and I can call these done.  ;)

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
Re: Railway Embankments & Weathered Track
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 02:57:38 AM »
Looking good :)

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 08:54:15 AM »
 :-* very nice mr peabody!

Cheers
Matt

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 09:17:11 AM »
These look great...I found that adding the ballast after I had laid the tracks was a real pain better to doo it at the same time.

Slap the glue down on the board - stick down the track and then pour on the ballast whilst the glue is still wet. Shake off the access

more here...

http://shedwars.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/28mm-trains-gor-wargames-part-3.html

my embankments are here

http://shedwars.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/rail-embankments-trains-for-wargames.html
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:35:26 PM by Eric the Shed »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 06:52:43 PM »
These look great...I found that adding the ballast after I had laid the tracks was a real pain better to doo it at the same time.

Slap the glue down on the board - stick down the track and then pour on the glue whilst the glue is still wet. Shake off the access

more here...

http://shedwars.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/28mm-trains-gor-wargames-part-3.html

my embankments are here

http://shedwars.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/rail-embankments-trains-for-wargames.html

Glad to hear someone else has done this already. That's exactly how I was thinking of doing mine.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 06:59:49 PM »
That just couldn't work for me with this project...

I had to struggle with some pieces of track that had a mind of their own. They had to be glued down and held in place with pins until set.

I spooned on some ballast along the sides and down the middle of the track and then used a wide, soft, flat brush to sweep down the length of the track to level the ballast, then set the ballast with my go-to mix of matte medium, water and flow-aid.

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 12:56:09 AM »
That just couldn't work for me with this project...

I had to struggle with some pieces of track that had a mind of their own. They had to be glued down and held in place with pins until set.

I spooned on some ballast along the sides and down the middle of the track and then used a wide, soft, flat brush to sweep down the length of the track to level the ballast, then set the ballast with my go-to mix of matte medium, water and flow-aid.

I was wondering how you would do it! :)