Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:02:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690603
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A horse! A horse! My kingdom for a horse! - Richard III. special miniature  (Read 6410 times)

Offline Monty

• Scientist
    • Monty's Caravan Blog
Hello out there,

after making acquaintance with a couple of incredibly nice LAF fellows at Tactica I decided to turn more active on the LAF. Although I've been reading here regularly I want to contribute more of my humble work and present it to your appreciated judgement.

First for a special miniature I've been waiting to paint for a rather long time:

King Richard III.
RichardPlantagenet the Duke of Gloucester was the younger brother of King Edward IV. When Edward died in 1483 his marriage with Queen Elizabeth (Woodville) was declared invalid and his sons turned illegitimate as heirs. So Richard took the throne and reigned until his death during the battle of Bosworth in 1485.

This is only the very climax of the awesomely interesting life of the last Plantagenet king of England. He witnessed the Wars of the Roses, fought against the Lancastrians and saw the victory of the house of York. But in the very end Richard III. stayed in people’s mind as an usurper of the throne, a murderer and a sinister intriguer. Although some of those aspects might appear probable our picture of Richard III. is highly influenced by the play by WilliamShakespeare in which he describes the later years of this interesting monarch. Soaked by Tudor propaganda he shows Richard as a power-obsessed, ruthless villain who meets his fair end by the sword of Henry Tudor who will be King Henry VII. Rather soon. Anyway for me it’s one of Shakespeare’s best plays and I love the character he gives Richard. To my a perfect antihero which made him my favourite choice for a blogger painting challenge I'm participating. There was a theme round about antiheroes for that I submitted Richard.
The figure:
It’s made by Alan and Michael Perry as a special miniature on occasion of the discovery of Richard’s remains in Leicester in 2012. Since they were found under a car park the twin converted the figure in a way that he rides right out of the street. A very nice three piece vignette which I had been waiting to paint for a long time.

The colours:
As usual I employed Vallejo Model Colors to paint Richard. Only exception is the skin. For the first time I tried the Foundry Expert Flesh paint set. I'm very satisfied with the result and will probably keep using it. Many thanks to Mark Hargreaves for his hint!
The base:
The vignette is mounted on a 60mm circular base from ever excellent Warbases. Because I wanted to underline the figure itself and its border I painted the base black and coated it with high closs varnish. Additionally I made two banderoles that I attached on the left and on the right. One of them describes Richard’s dates of birth and death while the other one quotes Shakespeare’s well-known play: “A horse! A horse! My kingdom for a horse!” (Act 5, Scene 4).

In case that you like my humble work then have a look at my blog. There are some links to background information, larger images of the figure and of course some other examples of my humble work.

In addition I would appreciate anyone who wants to take part in the poll of the painting challenge. There are a couple of nice entries that deserve a vote and maybe some of you consider to give their vote to this very piece of work.

All the best
Stefan
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 07:16:38 PM by Monty »
Please visit my blog: Monty's Caravan

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Wow  :-*

Lovely work on that miniature Stefan. Well done.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
Lovely! So nice to see you here.

Thanks to you I'm in the process of putting the finishing touches on a freezing French old guard. lol
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Monty

• Scientist
    • Monty's Caravan Blog
Many thanks, fellows.   :)

Thanks to you I'm in the process of putting the finishing touches on a freezing French old guard. lol
Well then... I love it when a plan comes together.   ;)

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
Inspirational work!  :o

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
I always ask myself, how to bring these nice figure in a good diorama. You made it. Great work. I think I have to steal parts of your idea.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
Beautifully done- love the additional scroll work - really sets it off!
Simon.

Offline Miantanomo

• Scientist
  • Ahhh, Crap.
I think this is the best Richard I have seen. Even better than the promotional pictures.  ;)
"If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die."
-Eddard Stark

Offline le bon roi rene

• Bookworm
  • "Me and _my_ army! Kachunga!"
Yeah! That's the stuff! ;D

Always been a fan of the House of York. Last great Lancastrian was the first. Henry Grosmont 1st Earl of Lancaster. The rest? (Usurpers!)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Great stuff indeed  :-* :-* :-*

Darrell.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Wow  :-*

Lovely work on that miniature Stefan. Well done.

Yep, great stuff, good to see you posting more on the LAF as well.

:)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
Outstanding.

Really nicely done, and thanks for showing it to us  :)

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
very nice indeed :-* :-* :-*
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
This rally is a beautiful piece!!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

I'd certainly have it in my own display cabinet  8). Along with the other two!!

See below for links:

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_34&products_id=2833

And:

http://gewalthaufen.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Gonzaga%20Crossing%20the%20River%20Taro%20Vignette%20III

And again on this forum:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=65734.0

Offline Monty

• Scientist
    • Monty's Caravan Blog
Many thanks for your kind feedback. :)

Darrell,

Your interpretations of the vignette are both stunning. I found your version of WR36 as shown on the Perry page very inspiring when working on mine and the river version is a simply unique creation. The water looks excellent.
How did you make the splashes around the bodies?