Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:42:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689749
  • Total Topics: 118292
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Forged in battle Ratte 1947, super tank (1 x 1,000 tonne super tank, 28cm guns)  (Read 7934 times)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Arminius or Hermann perhaps? (The Teutoberg victor)

Tannhauser might be appropriate - it looks as though it will sink into the underworld quite easily (but may not get carried off by the fairies).

Something Wagnerian - Gotterdamerung maybe?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:34:21 PM by fastolfrus »
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
I can't help but wonder, if they woulve have built that thing, wouldn't it have tons of camo netting all over it's surface to make it harder for bombers to detect it? After all, the air supremacy was the no. 1 thing the Wehrmacht forces in the west feared. Of course, in that case, no one would be able to see all the nice details of the model ;)

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
I was thinking of painting a decal on the tank and a name...any ideas would be great
 :)

Maisy Maus.........

"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline panzerfaust65

• Bookworm
I can't help but wonder, if they woulve have built that thing, wouldn't it have tons of camo netting all over it's surface to make it harder for bombers to detect it? After all, the air supremacy was the no. 1 thing the Wehrmacht forces in the west feared. Of course, in that case, no one would be able to see all the nice details of the model ;)
I think that was the main reason the idea was scrapped...easy to bomb?
get to the chopperrrr!

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline panzerfaust65

• Bookworm

Offline panzerfaust65

• Bookworm
Found this great picture with information about the Ratte

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
I was thinking of painting a decal on the tank and a name...any ideas would be great
 :)

Clearly it has to be the Hallo Kätzchen now, nothing else is acceptable.  lol

The model is amazing, but I can't help but laugh at the WW2 German obsession with super-machines. They wasted enough resources on the Maus and a few others, and a monsterous goofy target like this is just begging to be plastered by the Allied Air Forces. If the war has gone on to '47 or so, the Americans are probably flying trans-Atlantic bombing raids with B-36s or something, never mind what might be staging out of the UK if they're still in play.

Offline panzerfaust65

• Bookworm
Arminius or Hermann perhaps? (The Teutoberg victor)

Tannhauser might be appropriate - it looks as though it will sink into the underworld quite easily (but may not get carried off by the fairies).

Something Wagnerian - Gotterdamerung maybe?

Thank you for your thoughts on this I think I will go with gotterdamerung

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
I think that was the main reason the idea was scrapped...easy to bomb?

That was actualy the whole reason tanks never did become landships in general. Pre-war, most military minds figured that an arms and engineering race over time would mean that tanks would eventually and naturally give way to landships, just as smaller boats gave way to much larger warships at sea. Air power changed all that, both on land and at sea.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
pink...

well... before painting you have to cover it with the reddish anti-rust dioxide...  ;D look this way. The camo wwas supposed to be applied by unit workshop, if you are doing it for a ratte probably it will exhaust your on hand supplies of green and brown (and possible yellow) so you stop until the paint is delivered... but then you go to battle... (do you remember which movie I am referring?)

Technically the Ratte is not completely paper...  the turrets for them were done (they were the new turret for the Gneisnau class, ended up as Norwegian CD forts post 1945... The thing on the tri colour camo was more a joke about the idea of people doingg it for real on such a large surface... if it is boring for us in 15mm...

As for the obsession... well you have these 3-4 turrets you cannot do anything with (because you scrapped the Gneisnau and her sister has gone down), now because you have already spent the money you try to re-use them for something useful... it does help that your supreme boss like big things too plus bigger is always better? No?  lol  Well the Germans and the Americans did not do something called MBT-70 tha,t while much smaller, was on the same design principles?
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com