Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:23:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689662
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Shootin Iron Rules (special Lead Adventures discount)  (Read 6240 times)

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
Shootin Iron Rules (special Lead Adventures discount)
« on: March 17, 2015, 02:56:47 PM »
SHOOTIN IRON
Cinematic Wild West miniatures war game

Lead Adventures Forum Special Discount

Get it through the month of March 2015 for ½ price (a whopping 50 cents!) with the link below:

http://www.wargamevault.com/browse.php?discount=93cbba4108

A while back I pulled out my Wild West town and started adding buildings to it. I recently moved and was playing at the local game store with all new people every night. I decided I wanted a Wild West miniature game that was super fast to teach and play...and so Shootin Iron was born.

The design concept was an entire game that I could print out on a single 2 sided sheet of paper, laminate, and use at the gaming table to teach the rules, and then for reference during play. I wanted the game to stay just as tactical and challenging, but I wanted to do away with some of the cliché bells and whistles (like playing cards and poker chips).

To my delight the game went over famously...not only that, but what was intended as a "stepping stone" game became something people saw no reason to "advance away" from.

I decided to clean it up, make the changes and clarifications that came up during play and offer it online. I'm charging $1 over on the Wargame Vault.
Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Shootin Iron Rules (special Lead Adventures discount)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 09:13:32 PM »
Cool, always nice to have a discount.   :)  Sounds like you ended up making rules much for the same reason I did.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 11:32:34 PM »
Cool, always nice to have a discount.   :)  Sounds like you ended up making rules much for the same reason I did.

It seems like the older I get, the simpler I like my rules systems.  I've found that the fun comes from the tactics, coordination, and planning.  Its surprising how "light" a game system can be and still cover almost everything you want in a satisfactory way.

In other news, I'm working on a miniature line for the game.  The first prototype came in the mail today...but they got millimeters and feet mixed up!?  :o  Needless to say I ordered another dozen.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 11:50:54 PM »
Got it.
It's late so I'll look through it tomorrow, I'm looking forward to it :)

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 09:46:28 AM »
They read well.
If I may, Scraping is the action or sound of something scraping or being scraped.
"the scraping of the spoon in the bowl"

I think you wanted Scrapping :)

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 12:35:04 PM »
They read well.
If I may, Scraping is the action or sound of something scraping or being scraped.
"the scraping of the spoon in the bowl"

I think you wanted Scrapping :)

You know...it's funny that you mention that, because it was "scrapping" with two Ps all through development.  Then it was pointed out to me it should be with one P.  I looked it up at the time and that is what the (online) dictionaries said.  Now you prompted me to look it up again and I'm finding it as both ways, but primarily with two Ps as you say... and am getting very confused as to what is proper?  I guess I'll change it back and send out an update.  Thanks for taking the time to check it out. 

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 12:59:55 PM »
The general rule is soft vowel, two consonants.
Hopping (as a kangaroo) as opposed to hoping (with hope).

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 01:50:47 PM »
The general rule is soft vowel, two consonants.
Hopping (as a kangaroo) as opposed to hoping (with hope).

I have a kangaroo...well, two Wallabies anyway...jut saying,  lol  My SO is an exotic animal educator.

But I would argue you are right, so the change has been made. 

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 01:54:42 PM »
My SO is an exotic animal educator.

I teach English to small children, it's probably a very similar occupation.

I've downloaded my new version of the rules.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 02:53:29 PM »
I've downloaded my new version of the rules.

Good!  Now go play it...NOW!  lol (sending you a PM)

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 06:18:08 PM »
I have read the ruleset and I´m now preparing figures for a game. They have a lot of potential for a funny game, just what I was looking for.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 07:07:39 PM »
They have a lot of potential for a funny game, just what I was looking for.

Great, glad to hear it :)  I like my games pretty light hearted as well.  It's always been hard for me to get on the "dark" bandwagon...even with Warhammer Fantasy, my favorite edition was 4th, where they played down the dark and played up the humorous.

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 06:51:24 PM »
Though I have not had a chance to even read these rules yet, they have had a chance to provide me with some 'entertainment'.

Seems the $0.50 purchase followed a few minutes later by another for the Davestown Gazette #1 (yeah, I should have gotten them at the same time but didn't see the Gazette until after I purchased the rules) set off Fraud Alert warnings with my bank.   Which I noticed when trying to purchase $600+ worth of supplies I need to fence in a pasture this weekend, as my bank had put a STOP on my credit card.

So, I spent a few minutes on the phone with my bank to get the card turned back on so I could pay for the posts, rolls of farm fence, bags of quick-crete and other supplies.

So, the rules have already provided me with 'fun' even though I have not read them yet.

o_o
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 07:26:28 PM »
Though I have not had a chance to even read these rules yet, they have had a chance to provide me with some 'entertainment'.

Seems the $0.50 purchase followed a few minutes later by another for the Davestown Gazette #1 (yeah, I should have gotten them at the same time but didn't see the Gazette until after I purchased the rules) set off Fraud Alert warnings with my bank.   Which I noticed when trying to purchase $600+ worth of supplies I need to fence in a pasture this weekend, as my bank had put a STOP on my credit card.

So, I spent a few minutes on the phone with my bank to get the card turned back on so I could pay for the posts, rolls of farm fence, bags of quick-crete and other supplies.

So, the rules have already provided me with 'fun' even though I have not read them yet.

o_o

Lotsa bang for your buck!  That's my motto!

If it's any consolation at all, my 6ft perimeter fence for the wallabies is costing me almost $10,000.00. :(

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 07:54:14 PM »
That $600 was at one place.  I spent about $400 at another too (each has some things cheaper than the other.)  This fence is really just for the goat and pigs. Will use only 300ft of farm fence.

The horse pasture I did a couple of months ago was about $4k in material.   Have another a bit bigger to do later this month/early next month, but will be using electric tape instead of no-climb so it should be a bit cheaper though it will be a larger area.