Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:40:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690652
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Artizan 2nd afghan war British.  (Read 5129 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Artizan 2nd afghan war British.
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 10:01:50 AM »
Base colour of US field drab (70.873) followed by a mid tone of, surprise, surprise, Khaki (70.988), both of these are straight from the bottle. The highlight is made by mixing the Khaki mid-tone with Dark sand (70.847) in about a 4-1 ratio. Be fairly stingy with the dark sand as it has a tendency to lighten the khaki quite a bit.

Sounds like an interesting recipe. My version of Indian Khaki is based around VMC Beige. I'll post up some pics and give both a try when they are complete.

Darrell.

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 10:03:17 AM »
Thanks for the "recipe" Ray, always on the look out for khaki variants.

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 10:32:56 AM »
Sounds like an interesting recipe. My version of Indian Khaki is based around VMC Beige. I'll post up some pics and give both a try when they are complete.

Please do Darrell. I'm toying with the idea of giving the Indian regiments slightly different coloured Khaki uniforms. Locally supplied cloth and such.

Thanks for the "recipe" Ray, always on the look out for khaki variants.

No problem Phil. Always happy to share paint schemes.
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 11:00:55 AM »
Please do Darrell. I'm toying with the idea of giving the Indian regiments slightly different coloured Khaki uniforms. Locally supplied cloth and such.

Will do. Weathering, mainly the sun(!), I would imagine that the khaki for certain campaigns would be quite similar as the uniforms were usually ordered in batches. I know from an expert in the field that khaki in the Boar Wars was pretty consistent for example. I'll pop him a message and ask what he thinks.

Still, that all said, a bit of variation never did the wargames table any harm and different units might have been out in the field longer then others in regards to weathering etc.

I'll get back to you when/if I get a reply.

Darrell.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 11:55:36 AM »
:) I think that 'gentleman in khaki' looks absolutely spiffing out in the midday sun.  :)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 02:00:36 PM »
From the Victoria's Wars Forum, Jf42:

Darrel, at the start of the war khaki kit was by and large sourced regimentally- or at equivalent unit level- and indeed by amongst individual officers as many group photographs show, particularly staff groups and Royal Engineers at Kabul in the winter of 1879-80. Others less so as the well known officer groups of the 51st shows. There are a number of oft quoted sources that refer to white drill uniforms being dyed with river mud. The results for some regiments were surprisingly smart, as in the case of the 10th Hussars, 9th Lancers or the 72nd Highlanders. Photographs from later in the war indicate more uniformity but whether this reflects a more centralised arrangement as some secondary sources have suggested, I think needs more research.

I have been gathering information on this topic on the range of khaki uniforms seen during the Afghan War, both in cut and colour, awaiting time to form into a coherent post. I am on the move with intermittent access to internet at the moment. If you can wait until next week I might be able to organise some of it to help you with your project. No colour photos of course
!

Darrell.

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 04:50:11 PM »
Top job Brother Ray  8)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 10:12:36 PM »
Base colour of US field drab (70.873) followed by a mid tone of, surprise, surprise, Khaki (70.988), both of these are straight from the bottle. The highlight is made by mixing the Khaki mid-tone with Dark sand (70.847) in about a 4-1 ratio. Be fairly stingy with the dark sand as it has a tendency to lighten the khaki quite a bit.

I usually do a final edge highlight by mixing a little more dark sand in with the highlight colour. Just to accentuate the edge of the jacket, cuffs and elbows/knees.

I hope that's of some help.  :D Feel free to ask any other questions if the explanation isn't clear enough.

Cheers for the recipe, Ray : most useful and much appreciated  :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 11:45:03 PM »
Cheers for the recipe, Ray : most useful and much appreciated  :)

It will and it is indeed much appreciated  8).

Darrell.

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 11:45:16 PM »
Superb paint job.