Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:07:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: MDF & Photo Texture  (Read 7437 times)

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
MDF & Photo Texture
« on: March 20, 2015, 10:04:42 AM »

This is a new idea that I am playing around with and interested in hearing your thoughts.

Building kits made from 3mm MDF supplied with a free download of photo textures.

This building represents two 1930's semi's with back yards and outbuildings on a 200mm x 300mm base.
If we proceed with the idea the kit would cost £15, and we would offer optional extras like a choice of windows with glazing for those that do not like printed windows, front garden and possibly a building interior with staircase etc.

We could do a choice of textures in different color brick and stone for regional variety.

I think the idea has some potential and combines the best qualities of MDF and photo paper, but really interested to hear what everyone else has to say!

Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
Re: MDF & Photo Texture
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 11:59:56 AM »
I think it looks good. And the sidewalks and figures look good next to the texture. I can't really think of any suggestions to make it better.  ;)

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 12:09:02 PM »
Chris,
I like the look of this and the price is very affordable. You could make a rather nice town up like that. I would definitely be interested. Also, some shops but more importantly a pub!

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 06:42:10 PM »
Like those a lot.  Looks like some work needed on the corners (perhaps overlaps?) but I'd definitely be interested in these, I've found brickwork very tricky to get right.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 09:19:08 PM »
Chris, that looks great.
Having done something similar shown below, may I suggest foam core instead of mdf. The foam core is plenty strong enough and I believe others laser cut it so it may provide cost savings without sacrificing strength.

Also here is a goldmine of free textures http://www.cgtextures.com/

Like those a lot.  Looks like some work needed on the corners (perhaps overlaps?) but I'd definitely be interested in these, I've found brickwork very tricky to get right.
Below I just cut a narrow strip of matching image and wrapped the corner to hide the foam core edge.

Sept 25
37 The latest set of Shang Kong Studios, Murch's Trading Post

Built on the back lot of Shang Kong Studios,the infamous shop of a certain merchant who has everything you need at prices too good to ignore is now ready for filming!

Trading post made from photoshoped images on foam core.

I needed a quick pulpish trading post for an upcoming game and threw this together.
I wanted it to be easy to make, use existing supplies I had on hand, and be usefully for many locals.
Enjoy.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 12:55:43 PM »
That certainly solves the problem (although I prefer mdf)  :)

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 09:51:45 PM »
I would definitely be interested in this type of MDF building: they look great.

Agreed.
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 05:24:09 AM »
Watching any progress with interest!  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 07:02:52 AM »
Nice.
You have recessed detailing but none protruding from the otherwise flat walls. May I suggest window sills, lintels or door frames, door step, chimneys, and window shutters that most if not all could be cut from the window and door opennings so therefore no more material needed, just laser time. Optional dormers.

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 09:42:11 PM »

Well the first of our Photo-Realistic building kits is now complete and ready for purchase on our web site.
Two semi-detached or terraced houses complete with back yards and outbuildings on a 200mm x 300mm base for £15.00.
Choice of brick, stone or render and optional choice of 4 different window types.
Full details at : http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/epages/950003459.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950003459/Products/PRB28_001

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 01:01:03 PM »

Here's a couple of better images.. I'm really pleased with the way the kit has turned out, and I like the solid feel of the 3mm MDF shell.
Many thanks for the link to the texture database.... that will be very useful in the future. Next up will be the village pub!

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 01:47:54 PM »
Next up will be the village pub!

Now you're talking my language!  :-* I shall be making another order as soon as my coffers are restocked!

Offline der teufel

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 03:04:59 PM »
Chris,
 Also, some shops but more importantly a pub!
Sounds good to me

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 04:14:20 PM »
Nicely executed, will be sampling those shortly  :)

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 07:04:23 PM »
Made another pair of houses this morning to photograph step by step for the instruction leaflet.

Here are a couple of photos to get the idea of how they look as a row of terrace houses.

More photos in gallery at : http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/Terrace-/-Semi-28mm-Photo-Realstic-Kit