Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:29:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [Kickstarter] Mantic Deadzone: Infestation  (Read 8775 times)

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
[Kickstarter] Mantic Deadzone: Infestation
« on: March 21, 2015, 12:20:26 AM »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/deadzone-infestation-sci-fi-skirmish-game/description

Just started today, and is running (oddly) for 17 days.  Not sure how they chose 17...

Either way, I love the space rats, and am looking forward to seeing what they put out for scenery.  My gaming buddies are looking to start up with some Necromunda, don'tcha know?
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
Re: [Kickstarter] Mantic Deadzone: Infestation
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 05:53:33 AM »
There are no scenery only pledges or add-ons so far. Which is not what I like to see. Given the fairly short period of pledging they may be looking to do it very simple to avoid logistics hassles and that might mean they are going to keep the options to a bare minimum.

As for the infantry minis, don't care for ratmen-in-spaaaaace nor yet am too keen on yet-another-set-of-generic-but-still-diffrent-from-other-generic-sets-of-future-human-troopers either. Even if they are hard plastic.

Offline Mad Mecha Guy

• Librarian
    • Mad Mecha Guy
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 08:39:23 AM »
Hmmmm,  Mutant Naked Mole Rats with guns.  Knew we should of sat on those mad scientists. lol
"It's the Fumes I say, the Fumes, those lovely Laser Cut MDF fumes"

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 04:58:40 PM »
The one update mentioned scenery only pledges would be added this coming Wednesday.  Not sure why they would not have them immediately, but it should be coming!

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 06:34:36 PM »
Deadzone is already a good skirmish game, I like it.

I'm in for this upgrade/reboot.

Mantic are getting better and better at producing Fun in a Box.

No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 08:07:39 PM »
Not keen on the Ratmen in Space either. Don't mind the Pathfinders tho. I'm hitting the 'Remind Me' button.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 11:12:12 AM »
Don't mind sci-fi ratmen, but I hope than they look much more vicious than they do right now (highly doubtful...).
Like the difference between GW's own 6th edition plastic Skaven and their current plastic Skaven - the new stuff "gets" it, but the old stuff looks goofy in a bad way.

I also don't mind more hard plastic humans - although I'd rather have seen Corporation or Rebs rather than more Enforcers.

I do think the rules need a fairly top-to-bottom re-write to make them more fun and less clunky (seems doubtful that they will).

I also think that they need to be looking at doing some of the previous DZ models in hard plastic as well - Marauders and Plague for conversion reasons, and Rebs and Asterians because they are spindly and rubbish in PVC. Doubtful that this will happen either, as this is mostly just to fund a few terrain and model sprues rather than a "proper" KS.

Anyway, we'll see what happens I guess!

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 11:39:29 AM »

I am going to have to disagree.  This 'box' is pretty lack luster right now compared to the first version.   The troop choices seem bland, the mat is paper, we have no idea WHAT will change in the rules (or how it will effect folks with the current figures and cards), and the terrain included seems a bit less.

That just does not add up to 'better and better' in my opinion.

Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 03:22:20 PM »
It hadn't occurred to me, but now that the major mentioned it...I also would rather have had Corporation instead of more Enforcers. I have five of the six factions from the first campaign, but have yet to play a game. That's despite having three of the factions fully constructed (not painted). I like the universe, scenery and models, but for now I'm hitting "Remind Me." I want to see if it get more appealing and need to see if I have some money by then.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 05:51:12 PM »

I am going to have to disagree.

Time to grow yet

Fair comment,  but my comparison was based on their own progression to date (of the games I own or will own)

Dwarf Kings Hold > Project Pandora > Dreadball > Deadzone > Dreadball Xtreme > Dungeon Saga (to come)

All sequential improvements - the minis are still a mixture of the really good, the average, and the WTF? but fun (IMO) is included in every box

... they still lag behind Fantasy Flight Games for content and gameplay, though - Star Wars Imperial Assault gets most of my weekly slot at the moment

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 06:15:13 PM »
The scenery only pledges are up.

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 09:12:25 PM »
The ability to purchase Mommy Rat has been unlocked.

In my opinion, it is a pretty ugly figure.   I won't be feeling the urge to get one.

Also, a terrain only pledge is now available, though it may not be that great a deal (I've seen folks on Dakka Dakka saying it may be cheaper via retailers after the KS).

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 10:25:58 PM »
That is not a figure I feel a need to own.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 10:49:15 PM »
Don't mind sci-fi ratmen, but I hope than they look much more vicious than they do right now (highly doubtful...).
Like the difference between GW's own 6th edition plastic Skaven and their current plastic Skaven - the new stuff "gets" it, but the old stuff looks goofy in a bad way.

Aye, that. These look too much like GW's old, plug-ugly, discarded skaven for my liking. It's like so many other things: designers plugging a set of old familiar tropes and symbols together to say 'this is a rat-man (as dictated by GW visuals)' in this case - even if it actually looks more like the Tex Avery wolf with buck teeth than a rat - as opposed to doing like Seb Perbett did and look at, y'know, rats.

Still annoyed that people don't get digitigrade legs, too. They don't cause things to waddle around with their knees almost scraping the ground...

Sci-fi scouts and terrain aren't something I'm mad interested in at the mo, and the sculpting doesn't set me on fire, so all I can say is meh. They're serviceable. That leader(?) woman looks like there's something odd about her proportions, though.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 10:56:23 PM by Vermis »

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 01:11:52 AM »
I kinda like the ratmen being a bit more restrained in style, leaves the option open to paint them as something different, "colorful snouty aliens."  Also dig the "modern SF operatives" look to the pathfinders, even if (as has been said already) at this point we are pretty spoiled for choice when it comes to hard-sci fi military humans.  Considering that there weren't many options besides Cadians a few years ago though, I'm not complaining.  :D  The scenery looks cool as well!