Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:51:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689769
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Kickstarter] Mantic Deadzone: Infestation  (Read 8796 times)

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
Re: [Kickstarter] Mantic Deadzone: Infestation
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 02:07:49 AM »
I was initially in, but have backed out.  I pledged for the last round for Deadzone.  I didn't end up enjoying the game enough to stick with it, but I do like the plastics (figure and terrain) from the last round.

I figured this round would be a good value, but the low model count (seems no better than you'll be able to get from online discounters after release). 

I guess it goes to show just how much more expensive cutting molds for hard plastic is over PVC.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 04:59:28 AM »
I am in on this, as I didn't get the game the first time around, and I like the Pathfinders enough that I might get some paint on them. Rats? Not so much, but we'll see about that...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 08:39:42 AM »
I kinda like the ratmen being a bit more restrained in style, leaves the option open to paint them as something different, "colorful snouty aliens." 

That's a fair point.

I do still think that more rat-like heads would be better though - remember that as these are hard styrene sprue models, they are easy to convert (and will most likely have separate heads anyway). That means that more cartoony heads like those by MaxMini would have still been an easy alternative for those that prefer that look.

I also feel that this should have been a Warpath KS too. Basically, pick two of the factions, make a narrative starter kit for them, and then expand the armies via KS; then pick another two armies and repeat. After three or four KS, you should everything you need barring big plastic vehicles (which, really, need more time and effort to get right).

Making more stuff for Deadzone is fine, but I sadly think that Mantic need to fix the the first set of rules and models before they go gallivanting off with extraneous stuff. I do like DZ, and I am happy to see more for it (personally, I think it'll suit me more than Warpath will), but I'd like the whole thing done better this time around.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 04:33:25 PM »
According to one of the recent updates from the original Deadzone KS, I thought this was also an update to the original rules. I recall something about first campaign pledgers being given access to a digital copy of the updated rules.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 05:07:26 PM »
I do still think that more rat-like heads would be better though - remember that as these are hard styrene sprue models, they are easy to convert (and will most likely have separate heads anyway). That means that more cartoony heads like those by MaxMini would have still been an easy alternative for those that prefer that look.

Definitely, I'm never opposed to more choice!  8)

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 05:58:58 PM »
According to one of the recent updates from the original Deadzone KS, I thought this was also an update to the original rules. I recall something about first campaign pledgers being given access to a digital copy of the updated rules.

That's what they said from the last update which is a nice move:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/deadzone-the-sci-fi-miniatures-board-game/posts/1171701

As far as the Veermyn models go, I would be much more interested in them if they could at least hint they were going to be compatible with WHFB Skaven.  I have a ton of skaven sitting around that go back as far as Mordheim.  It sure would be nice if I could swap parts.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 06:38:43 PM by rwwin »

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 11:35:09 AM »
As far as the Veermyn models go, I would be much more interested in them if they could at least hint they were going to be compatible with WHFB Skaven.  I have a ton of skaven sitting around that go back as far as Mordheim.  It sure would be nice if I could swap parts.

I'd bits-order some Dark Eldar guns (which are suitably raygun-looking), and kitbash your own then. For the KS, maybe stick a $1 pledge in and upgrade to add on the new rulebook later?

That way you "win" both ways! ;)

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 04:24:26 PM »
Yes, I'm in for the $1 right now just so I can get the updates and not miss the end if I decide to Jump in.

I guess what I find most odd, is there was an announcement before the campaign launched that said Mantic's big goal of the campaign was to fund a cheaper, more user friendly starter box set that they can get into game shops.  Arguments of value aside, I haven't seen anything that looks like a cohesive starter box.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2015, 05:03:57 PM »
Big splash draw in the cash and feck up the final furlong....

Once bitten once escaped thrice shy.

Not for me thanks.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 07:56:39 PM »
Yeah I backed the last kickstarter for deadzone and was a little dissapointed. I am happy the miniatures for this are actually hard plastic instead of restic but I would only be interested in a few pathfinders and im would prefer to wait for retail for those because mantics quality control and consistency is lacking.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2015, 08:29:57 PM »
I like hard plastic for conversions but have actually had good success converting the resin plastic from the original Deadzone figures. Most of my Plague and Marauder figures got converted as I didn't want two and three figures exactly the same sculpt. Some chopping with a hobby knife and a little glue was all it took to get some nice variety. Certainly not as easy to do as with plastic, but I didn't mind the process.

Just have to find some time to paint the damn stuff. Or build scenery. Or actually play the game.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2015, 07:18:04 AM »
I found the Deadzone resin plastic pretty easy to work with as well.  It glued together and stayed together nicely.  As others have pointed out, not as nice as straight up plastic but better than metal. 

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2015, 01:03:13 PM »
Cleaning the mouldlines off the restic, along with the sad wibbliness of small details, are the real (and hard to deal with) drawbacks of restic IMO.

However, in terms of glueing and painting, etc., I found it fine.

I do also think that DZ1 should have offered a plastic sprue for each faction rather than so many add-on models. Then, DZ2 coould have added a new faction or two in plastic sprue and expanded the exisiting factions with a few add-on models. That way, everybody gets plastic models for their faction core, and it helps existing players hacve som interest in the new KS... But doing it this way is frankly rather backwards!  :?

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2015, 01:27:05 PM »
Cleaning the mouldlines off the restic, along with the sad wibbliness of small details, are the real (and hard to deal with) drawbacks of restic IMO.

However, in terms of glueing and painting, etc., I found it fine.

I do also think that DZ1 should have offered a plastic sprue for each faction rather than so many add-on models. Then, DZ2 coould have added a new faction or two in plastic sprue and expanded the exisiting factions with a few add-on models. That way, everybody gets plastic models for their faction core, and it helps existing players hacve som interest in the new KS... But doing it this way is frankly rather backwards!  :?

Agreed - I have no idea why, once they saw they had a million in the bank, they didn't go for hard plastic for all the core forces.

Restic is fine - when I'm working with superglue these days, I tend to use an accelerator like bicarbonate of soda, or the prep pen from  Loctite All-Plastic superglue.  As you say, it's the mouldlines and the terrible softness of the detail than make me sad.  I was still finding and cleaning mouldlines off the Sedition Wars models even as I was painting final details on them - a real pain.

Went in for this one, but pulled out - I've still not decided what to do with my Deadzone 1 figures.  I do like the ForgeFathers and Enforcers, and several of the other models, but overall too many of them don't look worth the effort.

If anyone knows of a good home for them, that would make the decision for me... ;)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2015, 03:56:07 PM »
Went in for this one, but pulled out - I've still not decided what to do with my Deadzone 1 figures.  I do like the ForgeFathers and Enforcers, and several of the other models, but overall too many of them don't look worth the effort.

I think they do look good if you're willing to spend the time and effort on them (even if it's frustrating). Game-wise... Well, there are lots of suitable sci-fi skirmish games out there that you can use instead if you prefer.  :)

The Sedition wars stuff though, urgh. The main game plastics are okay, but the extra figs are simply crap.  :-X