Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:23:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689627
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Building a base / databank base, March 26  (Read 5039 times)

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
Building a base / databank base, March 26
« on: March 22, 2015, 08:25:15 AM »
So, after playing Indiana Jones with my hobby closet and going through piles of stuff I did encounter fabulous treasures after facing many threats - no snakes fortunately - and at last I had to abandon the sorting out project and come back to report about my findings...

So besides encountering a box with 30 or so FW Elysians I also stumbled upon a FW Thunderbolt Pilot mini, still happily waiting in the FW plastic bag:

I remember buying him but not having the guts to start painting the fellow as my painting skills would not have been good enough for do justice for the lovely mini. Well, my painting skills surely haven't increased during the years but obviously my daring has as I started to make a proper base for the pilot yesterday evening while building those Elysians:

That's where I stopped yesterday evening. That's regular big round base with two layers of 2mm plasticard plus a strip of same 2mm plasticard as an edge.

Now this morning new additions are the following:

Next additions will be shown later today, I hope. I just noticed that some fellow in Fleabay is asking 99GBP for the pilot... maybe I shouldn't start painting it but sell it instead to gain hobby funds  lol
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:48:12 PM by pocoloco »

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Building a base
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 09:50:05 AM »
And amidst all the busy morning activities such as eating a breakfast, further progress:

And then addition of small service robot, will add few bits to it still:

Now pondering if I should include a small railing on green plasticard or not, any thoughts anyone?

Cheers for looking.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 03:50:26 PM »
What's the source for that grating?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 04:04:07 PM »
Hi FF, the grating comes from a HO scale factory kit, if my memory serves me right. I had it in my bits box (in one of the many). Still have some left and also found smaller grating (smaller width) from a different HO kit.

I think I will soon be making more "scenic" bases as I discovered yet another FW type, this time a Titan servitor IIRC?

The servitor is somewhat shorter chap than the heroic pilot which is fine but I'm baffled by the yellowish resin... Does not look so much like FW cast perhaps? I have no clue when I got it and where from though  o_o

And here's the first base pretty much ready for painting to start. The red plinth is plastic one, it came with a nice clear plastic dome/cupola, got it from a second hand store some time ago. I think it had some kind of a clock on it which found its way into a rubbish bin quite fast. The tiny robot thingy is not glued to its place so it can be replaced with something cooler later on :)

For the servitor I plan to make a similar type of setting, maybe he is controlling some reload platform with missiles, bombs or such on it...

Cheers, PL

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Building a base / Now some Elysians for a change March 23
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 06:57:40 AM »
Continuing babbling to myself here  o_o

While the next base is in whip status, need to add rivets still to it, I present an Elysian themed base. As can be seen in the pics, it's a premade resin base - another bits box find there - and just two Elysians with a FW long-range scanner.

I tried to pose the chaps so that the one kneeling is somewhat distressfully pointing the screen and trying to get the second chap to give a look: "See, I told you so. They are coming, and there's plenty of them". More Elysians will be presented soonish in my Revolution will be... thread in the Sci fi section here.

And if you are not me, cheers for looking  lol

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
Re: Building a base / Now some Elysians for a change March 23
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 09:17:36 AM »
Wow, these mini-dioramas are amazing! I'm really looking forward to seeing them painted.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Building a base / paints splashed on March 25
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 01:24:50 PM »
Thanks DD, my paintwork might actually be not that up-lifting factor for these :)

Anyhow, did a quick 5 minute splashing with some paints and pigments on the first one and below is the result so far. I think this might be a proper base for the Titan servitor type or some more tech type... thus need to come up a good fly-deck type solution for the pilot.

As always, comments welcomed.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 03:55:20 PM »
Looking good there mate  :)

I think the '42' turned out well along with the down and dirty paint for the metal work  8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 04:21:55 PM »
Looking good there mate  :)

I think the '42' turned out well along with the down and dirty paint for the metal work  8)

cheers

James

I agree.

Tony

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 04:57:42 PM »
Yes, what James and Tony said; the painting on the metalwork is very effective. I like the silver showing through on raised sections, it makes it look like it is actually used. Any tips on the technique and colours used?

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 05:04:23 PM »
Thanks gents, happy that you like it. One tiny thing though, it's A2 not 42 so it's actually quite straight lettering... or at least I tried my best arranging it so. If that was a 4 and not A, then it would be somewhat misplaced :)

Elk: that's the effect I was hoping to achieve, gritty yet used :) I used two different Vallejo browns, two different Citadel oranges, Vallejo Gunmetal, two different pigments (earth from Vallejo and iron oxide from painter's shop) and Citadel brown wash. All the normal colours were stippled on using the cut up foam from a blister pack and pigments were sprinkled lightly here and there and "gently" speed out with a small brush. The wash was applied with a broad brush. Very quick and dirty method, took only some minutes.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 09:21:28 PM »
Wow, pretty nice! Enjoyable displays, I like them a lot!

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 07:47:33 PM »
Thanks Suber :)

To Elk, forgot to mention Vallejo Matt White from the list, that was used for the lettering.

Now, here's second (of my own making) instalment in the series. My purpose was to make it as some sort of databank thingy... once again the trustworthy servitor is present with his control pad :D

Need to fix it with green stuff a bit more, then file/sand the base edges and then splash some paint. Any suggestion for colours on the databank thingy?

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
Re: Building a base / databank base, March 26
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 07:55:21 PM »
Nice

Keep it coming, looks better than you think  :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Building a base / databank base, March 26
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 08:24:48 PM »
I have only just found this thread and ...WOW!
Brilliant ideas, mate, and if that is a 'quick' paintjob on the base you have hit the jackpot.
Great work!
 8) 8)