Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:11:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Victorian train and English country station  (Read 12367 times)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
28mm Victorian train and English country station
« on: March 23, 2015, 01:03:36 AM »
With the intention of one day putting together an English country village for my 28mm Victorians, a few years ago I picked up the Fast Lane Western Express on sale at Toys R Us.  It comes with two passenger coaches, and I was fortunate to find two more of the coaches at the swap meet.  I modified the coaches to give them a more English look… removed the end walkways and awnings and added three side doors to each side of each coach.  For an engine I used a Thomas Train whistle toy I found at the swap meet for $1.  I removed the mouthpiece at the rear and the face at the front.  I then gave the coaches and engine a new paint job.  The station is also a swap meet find.  I picked it up for $2.  One corner of the roof was missing, but easily replaced with some plastic and Milliput.  The station sign was also missing, but I made a new one with Evergreen plastic and wire rod for posts.  Once that was done I gave it a new paint job as well.  Over several years of swap meet visits I found about 15 feet of the track you see just a few pieces at a time. (I don’t know who made/makes it.)  I haven’t gotten around to painting the track yet, but it doesn’t look like a difficult project.  The figures are added for scale.  The woman is Foundry, and I think the man is Eureka. 

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
Re: 28mm Victorian train and English country station
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 04:28:17 AM »
Years of the swap meet has really paid off here Richard. With your modifications the coaches look pretty English. You would never know the station was damaged.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 06:46:36 AM »
Lovely  :-*

Great work in sourcing and modding the items.

15 feet of tracks will give you nice coverage for gaming table. Will it be single or double track?

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 10:54:48 AM »
Looks great!

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 05:40:45 PM »
Wonderful!

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 07:38:20 PM »
What a great piece of work! Only little critique is the sign blares out a little too white?

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 09:01:36 PM »
Thanks to all of you for taking the time to write and for the kind words.  To tell you the truth (and of course I will), I'd forgotten about this project until I saw Saucy Jack's station posting.  When I located where the station and train had been stored for the last few years, I was really pleased with what I saw and decided it was worth sharing.  Rob, you are absolutely right about about the swap meet... it has been generous to me in the extreme over the years.  pocoloco, there really isn't a plan in terms of track as yet.  I tend to buy every straight section I find at the swap meet without much thought as long as the piece(s) is $1 or less in price and that's pretty much the norm.  Dozing Dragon, I probably should have painted the background for the sign in beige rather than pale sand.  Fortunately, when I made the sign, I made two of them so I'll use beige for the background on the second when I get around to giving it a place name.  Once again, thank you all for writing and the generous comments.  Richard

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 01:47:44 AM »
Lovely work

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 06:14:58 PM »
Chairface, thank you.  Much appreciated.  Richard

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 08:15:21 AM »
Lovely!
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline cuchulain23

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 02:14:23 AM »
Great looking train station.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 01:54:40 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.  After many years of weekly swap meet attendance I've really gotten to appreciate that some children's toys are beautifully made.  It is obvious that the designers of some toys want to invest their time in making something they think was special.  This train station is an example of that... a really beautifully designed piece of work.  I was lucky to find it, and it proved to be a pleasure to paint for my 28mm Victorians.  Hopefully one of these days I'll get around to putting together the English country village it is supposed to be part of... that of course would be Woodleigh Common.  Richard

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 08:19:48 PM »
Nice addition to the collection matey. A Victorian village is on my radar too so I'll be taking notes.
Don't!

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 07:12:44 PM »
Thunderchicken, I always appreciate hearing from you.  Over the last few years the notes I have taken on your work guided me through the work I did on my Victorian city.  Your work has been a great inspiration.  Thanks so much for writing, and I will be looking forward to seeing your Victorian village creations.  Richard

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 06:28:04 PM »
I'm humbled. Very kind words indeed and much thanks. That gets you on the Christmas card list  lol

The great thing about this forum is the wealth of inspiration. My builds are the result of watching great work developed on this forum over the years, so I'm more than happy to pass the knowledge on (although I'm still standing on the shoulders of giants).