Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:37:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686453
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wargaming Westeros & Other Stuff in 28mm: Pelargir Marines 03/08/17  (Read 20366 times)

Offline biomenace

• Assistant
I started painting Stannis' forces over the last few weeks. Here is what I have so far;

“I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?” Stannis Baratheon to Theon Greyjoy

Experienced in siege warfare Stannis Baratheon has held and taken numerous, castles, forts and walled cities throughout his military career. During Robert’s Rebellion Stannis successfully defended Storms End during a year long siege by the vast ground forces of House Tyrell & powerful navy of house Redwyne. Stannis honed these abilities storming the remaining Targaryen holdings on Dragonstone and those of their sworn houses on the surrounding islands. During Baylon Greyjoy’s Rebellion Stannis commanded the invasion of Great Wyck, an large Island controlled from the formidable Castle Hammerhorn, seat of House Goodbrother. Stannis’ battle plans often rely on the armoured heavy infantry of Westerosi Lords, knights & their men at arms. They are shown here in a formation of narrow frontage and six ranks deep.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 07:41:06 PM by biomenace »

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
Re: The Forces of Stannis Baratheon
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 12:26:00 AM »
I always like to see Game of Thrones/ A Song of Ice and Fire dedicated threads!  :D

You did a really good job on the iron of the armour! Only thing I'd like to say, is the lack of yellow, the color of house Baratheon
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline biomenace

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 11:42:48 AM »
Thanks, I'm really pleased with them! The Armour was Army Painter metal spray & Nuln Oil. 

On the lack of yellow, I was going for Lords/knights/Men at Arms loyal to House Baratheon (Celtigar, Velaryon, Bar Emmon & Florent) I have some more Perry Minatures armoured troops both on foot and mounted who are going to be Stannis' liveried retainers - so lots of yellow on the way! 

Offline biomenace

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 08:20:55 PM »
Finished these last night;

Deployed cleverly longbowmen can be devastating against most formations. In the hands of a practised archer, a six foot yew longbow can penetrate all armour excepting the heavy plate of Westerosi nobles. Keeping a good stocks of well stored longbows and sufficient ammunition can be the key to success on campaign.

Offline biomenace

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 08:23:13 PM »
“Whatever doubts his lords might nurse, the common men seemed to have faith in their king.” On Stannis Baratheon, A Dance With Dragons.

The bulk of Westerosi armies are levied ‘smallfolk’ who fight with a range of weapons & armour depending upon the demands of the situation & means of their lord. These men of the Stormlands armed with bills are led by an unnamed knight.

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 02:26:38 AM »
My favourite character by far! and a great looking host to lead him to his rightful place on the throne, can't wait to see some more.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 07:31:19 AM »
good start
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Devoted of Slaanesh

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 02:07:15 PM »
Very nice force. Keep the good work on it.

Offline biomenace

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 07:28:05 PM »
Whether the noble warriors of chivalric tales in the flesh or grimly determined professional retainers, plate armoured troops on barded warhorses are all generally referred to as knights. The paramount shock troops in Westeros, knights are able to shatter the moral of lesser enemy formations with a single devastating charge. During the War of the Five Kings Stannis defeats the Wildling army of Mance Rayder using his knights in a surprise attack.

“through the smoke another wedge of armoured riders came, on barded horses. Floating above them were the largest banners yet, royal standards as big as sheets; a yellow one with long pointed tongues that showed a flaming heart, and another like a sheet of beaten gold, with a black stag prancing and rippling in the wind.” A Storm of Swords, Chapter 73, Jon.

The knights shown here wear the yellow of Stannis’ personal retinue.    

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 11:50:56 PM by biomenace »

Offline biomenace

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 07:30:47 PM »

Offline biomenace

• Assistant
Re: The Forces of Stannis Baratheon & Dornishmen
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 09:08:20 PM »
Sworn Spears of House Martell.

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
Re: The Forces of Stannis Baratheon & House Martell
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 01:07:43 PM »
Looking really great!

Offline biomenace

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 05:59:52 PM »
Cheers LordOdo! Large update today as I have photographed the stuff that I painted throughout the week. First up however some crossbowmen I did a few weeks ago and forgot to post.

Cranequin or windlass loaded crossbows can have a huge draw weight and are capable of punching through even heavy plate. Although they are unwieldy & high maintenance , heavy crossbows allow the common soldier to kill even the most lavishly armoured noble. In long static battle such as sieges where there is time enough to reload and ample ammunition the heavy crossbow is indispensable. These crossbowmen wear the yellow livery of House Baratheon.

Offline biomenace

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 06:08:33 PM »
“From their ornate saddles were slung the round metal shields they favored, and many carried bundles of short throwing spears, or the double-curved Dornish bows they used so well from horseback.” Storm of Swords

The Commander of Dornish forces, Castelian of Sunspear, cousin to the Prince of Dorne - Manfrey Martell. His retinue bear Manfrey’s personal colours, a yellow and red sunburst sigil on a blue field.     

Manfrey's body & horse is from the Conquest Games Norman knights box, head from Gripping Beast Arab spearmen, shield Fireforge Mongol horsemen & mace from one of the Perry late medieval sets. They are all armed with recurve bows.   

Offline Miantanomo

• Scientist
  • Ahhh, Crap.
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 06:10:41 PM »
Ahh Game of Thrones! And beautiful armies. I don't think I have ever seen Stannis done before. When do we get to see the teeth grinding man himself?  ;)
"If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die."
-Eddard Stark