Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:40:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686662
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Moby Dick  (Read 5154 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Moby Dick
« on: July 11, 2006, 11:02:41 AM »
I'm re-reading currently the Melville's "Moby Dick", just phatastic that book! I wonder - do anyone know any suitable miniatures to represent the harpooners and the whalers. I dont think the usual pirate figs would be suitable, Moby Dick was being hunted in 19th century. And a whale mini for Moby DIck?

Otherwise it's not really difficult to convert the main hapooners of the Pequod, Queequeg is a cannibal, Tashtego is a Native American, Daggoo is an African and Fedallah is of Persian descent. Very cool troop would be btw the secret harpoon boat crew of Fedallah, his troop made up of "aboriginal natives of the Manillas"

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
Moby Dick
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 11:25:32 AM »
The whaler is actually relatively easy - Eureka do two version of a whaleboat & crew in 28mm in their civilians & vignettes section:  http://eurekamin.com.au/index.php?cPath=87_126_138&sort=3a

Specific figures for the characters might also be in the Eureka range - maybe one of Eureka's Hawaiians might do for for Queegqueg?http://eurekamin.com.au/index.php?cPath=87_126_147&sort=3a and for Tashtego? http://eurekamin.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=9395

Their pirate range may have some useful figures too & the pirate ship itself would do nicely for a whaler.

Not sure about the whale itself though, maybe a Natural History Museumshop would have something? Failing that a dark gray "hump" with a fin sounding up through the waves would do, given that the whole whale is (a) huge & (b) is mostly below water.

A moments Googling & voila: http://www.skullsunlimited.com/marine-life-models.htm Hump back & Sperm whales in 1/50 would do nicely as quarry.

This is quite do-able isn't it?

I'm not really a part of Nic Robsons plan to take over the world!  :o
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Moby Dick
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 11:29:32 AM »
If you search images from past Historicon/Cold Wars conventions put on by HMGS in the US, there was someone who ran a Hunt the White Whale game. There might be enough pictures there to see what he did.

Rich
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Moby Dick
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 11:50:59 AM »
Quote from: "Etranger"
I'm not really a part of Nic Robsons plan to take over the world!  :o

for sure ? :mrgreen:

hah, so easy? I thought I will need months to collect the parts and five minutes later I get to know that all the stuff ia available and is waiting to be bought. Incredible! Thank you a lot! The sperm whale model is great, I'll use it. Also the Eureka minis are beatiful, in the meantime is my Eureka to-buy list very very long...Any suggestions on what the rules to play the whaling?

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
Moby Dick
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 12:07:43 PM »
Don't HLBS have some "underwater adventure" rules that might have something suitable? Or is there something that could be adopted from one of the "caveman Vs Mammoth/dinosaur" rulesets?

Thinking a little more laterally, some of the WWII naval rules have sections dealing with spotting submarines etc which could be adopted for "Thar She Blows" (TM), the all action whaling adventure!  :freak:

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
Moby Dick
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 12:08:29 PM »
Not very PC though! Oh well.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Moby Dick
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 12:26:29 PM »
that was Cold Wars, John Rigley made it, do anybody know him? He should join the forum and tell us about his home rules :-)

he will be playing the Whaling at Historicon 2006, could anybody make some shots?

-------------------------------------
http://www.historicon.org/HISTORICON_2006_Print_PEL.pdf

S-278 - Moby Dick - BYOB
Sat. 7 PM, 3 hrs, 12 players
GM: John Rigley
Sponsor: Eureka Miniatures
19th Century 25mm, Rules: Home Rules
Come hunt the Great White Whale Moby Dick and feed the Sharks.
This is going to be a "Bring Your Own Boat" game. For all you
people who now own a Whale Boat, and want to play in the big game
with it. All you need is a Eureka Whale Boat and six man crew. And
RSVP me at jrigley@mybizz.net by July 4th. So that I can get a count
on the number of players, and keep a slot for you. Any open slot will
be filled on game day on a first-come first-play basis.

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
Moby Dick
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 12:27:38 PM »
Theres also a considerable cross-over potential. After all, Innsmouth was a whaling port at one time. Who knows what they tried to catch?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Moby Dick
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 12:35:52 PM »
Innsmouth was just a fishing town, whaling wasn't mentioned as far as I remember, but the thought is really interesting, why just white whale if we could catch the Great Cthulhu or at least some deep ones?!?  :mrgreen:

i've found a pic (Cold Wars 2006)
looks nice!

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
Moby Dick
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 01:35:32 PM »
Quote from: "Prof.Witchheimer"
Innsmouth was just a fishing town, whaling wasn't mentioned as far as I remember, but the thought is really interesting, why just white whale if we could catch the Great Cthulhu or at least some deep ones?!?  :mrgreen:

There are lots of mentions of whaling in the Chthulhu Mythos. The"model" for Insmouth, Newburyport, was a whaling port & many of the coastal towns in New England were intimately involved in whaling in their earlier years. Kraken anyone?

http://www.google.com/search?q=innsmouth+whaling&hl=en&lr=&rls=PCTA,PCTA:2006-12,PCTA:en&start=10&sa=N

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Moby Dick
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 02:18:13 PM »
what I was meaning is that in the Lovecraft's "Shadow over Insmouth" the whaling or whales wont be mentioned, no one word about whales, only the fishes, that's fact :) But irrespective of that and generally speaking, I agree, there are lots of connections between Cthulhu mythos and whaling. And in the "Dagon" and "Mountains od Madness"  there are some mentions of the whalers/whaling/etc. In the "Mountains.." the two expedition ships are ex-whalers and also the commanders are both veteran whalers

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Moby Dick
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 06:11:02 PM »
I was wondering again, does anyone know this guy (John Rigley)? His email doesn't work :( I've got the whaleboat crew now and soon a whale too :mrgreen:

Another thought was, maybe to try to play Moby Dick with 45A. Rich?  :wink:  Any ideas?... :D

Quote from: "Prof.Witchheimer"
that was Cold Wars, John Rigley made it, do anybody know him? He should join the forum and tell us about his home rules :-)

he will be playing the Whaling at Historicon 2006, could anybody make some shots?

http://www.historicon.org/HISTORICON_2006_Print_PEL.pdf

S-278 - Moby Dick - BYOB
Sat. 7 PM, 3 hrs, 12 players
GM: John Rigley
Sponsor: Eureka Miniatures
19th Century 25mm, Rules: Home Rules
Come hunt the Great White Whale Moby Dick and feed the Sharks.
This is going to be a "Bring Your Own Boat" game. For all you
people who now own a Whale Boat, and want to play in the big game
with it. All you need is a Eureka Whale Boat and six man crew. And
RSVP me at jrigley@mybizz.net by July 4th. So that I can get a count
on the number of players, and keep a slot for you. Any open slot will
be filled on game day on a first-come first-play basis.