Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:18:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689345
  • Total Topics: 118275
  • Online Today: 648
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Kickstarter] - Steam Horses - Live on Kickstarter now - See page 4  (Read 19795 times)

Offline Tehet

• Librarian
Re: [Kickstarter] - Steam Horses coming May 2015
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 06:53:06 AM »
I second that goon3423. I believe there should be a concentration on the horses.

Of course, if the riders are as characterful and up to the standard suggested by the illustrations, I  might be forced to part with more cash!

I don't suppose one of the stretch goals might be a steam elephant?

I will certainly be backing this KS...

Offline Richard

• Librarian
  • Oh-dear
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 06:46:36 PM »
Some great ideas coming on here and on Facebook thank you all and please keep them coming.

1: House hold Cavalry has crossed my mind but this project is meant to follow the Wild West theme, if I did I would do the Horse Guards for a change.
2: All pledge levels except one were for horses and riders this will now change (thank you for giving me advance warning)
3: Steam elephant interesting may be another time or if this project goes very well.
4: I am planning to do standard horses as well as steam as my main focus is on the riders as well as the steam horses. I will be re-thinking that this weekend as some characters I really like and want to do, but others could get put back. I also have ideas for alternative versions of the steam horse so need to think about the overall look of the project and the financials implications. I am hoping that if this one is successful I will follow it up with other projects covering other countries and ideas all based around VSF.

That is enough from me I am sure to have bored you all.. Richard
Regards
Richard
Grumpy Old Git

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 07:01:18 PM »
Horse Guards is a building, not a unit. Do you mean Blues and Royals? If so the uniforms are pretty much identical, just different colours.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Richard

• Librarian
  • Oh-dear
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 07:03:38 PM »
Horse Guards is a building, not a unit. Do you mean Blues and Royals? If so the uniforms are pretty much identical, just different colours.

Yes I knew what I meant just my fingers typed something else.

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 08:26:32 PM »
This project is for mounted figures only I am afraid as there is plenty of dismounted figures about and I saw a potential gap in the market for mounted VSF figures.

It may be worth considering dismounted riders for games that allow dismounting (and/or for horses to get shot out from under the rider); being able to replace the horse & rider with a dismounted version of the same rider would be ace.  (Another idea may be to style some of the mounted riders to be similar to other companies' dismounted figures, although I'm not sure where that would stand with IP/copyright.)
Instagram: @genghis_toy_soldiers

2024 - Figures Acquired: 50  Figures Painted: 9
2023 - Figures Acquired: 99  Figures Painted: 100
2022 - Figures Acquired: 59  Figures Painted: 54
2021 - Figures Acquired: 56  Figures Painted: 60
2020 - Figures Acquired: 63  Figures Painted: 92

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 08:48:43 PM »
How about a link to the kickstarter?

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 08:51:28 PM »
How about a link to the kickstarter?

Doesn't exist yet.

Offline Tehet

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 06:51:28 AM »
Since you've opened the floor to suggestions, how about this...

Obviously cost is key as at the end of the day you don't want to be making a loss.

Horse wise, how about having a separate sprue for legs/heads/tails and one for bodies. This would allow some variety in styles, i.e. lighter and heavier armoured bodies, eastern and western saddles and paraphernalia. If we pushed it further you might have a more esoteric saddle pack with quiver and axes for a Persian look, or a more basic saddle pack and carbine set for the wild west. Other adornments might include explosives, engineers packs and lances. If the legs were in sets of 8, i.e. two right front legs, two right back legs etcetera, with good design this would allow quite a mix of poses. Add in three head poses and Wow!   

Key would be to make the horses parts have a nice tight fit with sockets. Flat joining surfaces can be the bane of plastic assembly. The actual join could be covered by a sort of cupola, similar to how GW cover the join between arm and shoulder on their Space Marines.

For stretch goals you might look at...

A broken down steam horse
A farrier (a cross between blacksmith/steam engineer)
A lady rider (riding with legs to one side in the fashion ladeez used to)

Of course, I'd love to see a steam elephant as well!

Just some thoughts...

Offline Richard

• Librarian
  • Oh-dear
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2015, 10:07:58 AM »
Doesn't exist yet.

Correct I will post when I have a link worth sharing.

Offline Richard

• Librarian
  • Oh-dear
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2015, 10:17:55 AM »
Since you've opened the floor to suggestions, how about this...

Obviously cost is key as at the end of the day you don't want to be making a loss.

Horse wise, how about having a separate sprue for legs/heads/tails and one for bodies. This would allow some variety in styles, i.e. lighter and heavier armoured bodies, eastern and western saddles and paraphernalia. If we pushed it further you might have a more esoteric saddle pack with quiver and axes for a Persian look, or a more basic saddle pack and carbine set for the wild west. Other adornments might include explosives, engineers packs and lances. If the legs were in sets of 8, i.e. two right front legs, two right back legs etcetera, with good design this would allow quite a mix of poses. Add in three head poses and Wow!   

Key would be to make the horses parts have a nice tight fit with sockets. Flat joining surfaces can be the bane of plastic assembly. The actual join could be covered by a sort of cupola, similar to how GW cover the join between arm and shoulder on their Space Marines.

For stretch goals you might look at...

A broken down steam horse
A farrier (a cross between blacksmith/steam engineer)
A lady rider (riding with legs to one side in the fashion ladeez used to)

Of course, I'd love to see a steam elephant as well!

Just some thoughts...
Well quite a list, costs a tight and the horse is signed off, but I will give it some thought and discuss with sculptor. These will be cast in white metal though.
Broken steam horse interesting idea as is a farrier, watch this may be a late stretch goal or a later project.

Steam elephant will have to wait for another year and perhaps a Steampunk Raj Campaign...

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2015, 04:00:41 AM »
i have been collecting the Mage Knight Steam Horses for years. I have been collecting them for various genres. Always look for them at cons and flea markets. I have quit a stable of them.
With that's aid these new beauties are looking pretty spiffy and i await the KS release.

Grimm

Offline Richard

• Librarian
  • Oh-dear
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2015, 07:42:15 PM »
I hope this is okay if not please delete but when Copper Mine Miniatures Facebook page reaches 75 likes currently 54 I will announce first stretch goal and a few other details.

Offline Richard

• Librarian
  • Oh-dear
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2015, 07:06:38 PM »
Capture of signed off first steam horse more details to follow.

Currently on 62 likes more details willed unveiled at 75 likes.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2015, 07:50:32 PM »
Still can't see any pics on my iPad  :'(

Any chance of a link to them as well?

Offline Richard

• Librarian
  • Oh-dear
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2015, 07:57:33 PM »
Still can't see any pics on my iPad  :'(

Any chance of a link to them as well?

www.facebook.com/coppermineminiatures

The picture is on the above facebook page only for now, I'll find out what is wrong over the weekend.