Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:11:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Strange Aeons meets Shadows of Brimstone  (Read 82487 times)

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
Re: Strange Aeons meets Shadows of Brimstone
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2015, 03:35:57 PM »
Turn 4

Threshold wins Initiative. Visiability: 10"

Clive shouts out "Joseph, we must protect Clem, you take on the beast while I will pull Clem away from it and then come to help you fight". Joseph charges the beast. A feeling of great strength and calmness possesses Joseph. He chooses to take a shot first before making the charge into the daemon. He brings up his rifle and his vision seems to clear and become extremely focused like an eagle eye. He targets the daemon's glowing eye and pulls the trigger. The bullet hits dead on target and the daemon falls to the ground dead. (see pic 1)

My gaming opponent was blessed with rolls of 6s (we change up dice regularly). Three in a row... which caused 3 wounds onto the daemon, killing it instantly.

Clive kneel'd down to see how bad Clem's injuries were. A nasty gash was on the side of Clem's head, but he still breathed (which was a good sign). Clive bandages up the wound and then with Joseph's help, they make Clem as comfortable as possible.  

The sun rises at about 7AM in the morning. Clem has not become conscious yet. Clive decides to forage for some food and then notices something like a piece of paper stuck to a tree. He walks over and pulls the piece of paper off the tree.  The Hand writing was the same as the note left on the grave from earlier and it reads:

If I don't make it back here, I hope that those who follow will take heed. A horned-winged monstrosity attacked us here. It must have come forth from Smithy's Mine claim which is about a 2 hours travel from here. The two of us remaining have dynamite and will attempt to blow the mine entrance closed. I hope we make it.

James Purdue

Clive tells Joseph of his discovery. They agree that they will stay here until Clem rises. Clem awakes in the late afternoon. Inside him, he feels a great rage when he looks over at the fallen daemon by the stream and blurts out "Never again will I let one of those things get the better of me."

Rolled a "Hate" result against Night Terrors on the Major Wound Table.

The group decides to rest of the balance day and proceed the next day......

« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 01:28:43 AM by Litebrite »

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2015, 12:05:43 AM »
Another great write-up, will nick some of your alternative Visibility rules for my little Twilight Trail project I think.
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline Dan55

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2015, 02:34:03 AM »
Yes, a great storyline.

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2015, 10:49:59 PM »
We played the next scenario of our adventure of Agent Clive today.  Here are some teaser pictures.  I will have the AAR done over the next week or so.

Lem

Offline Dan55

• Librarian
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2015, 04:06:00 AM »
This does not bode well.

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2015, 01:29:48 AM »
End Game

Threshold has won again. The automatic upgrade is given to Clive. Trying to keep in theme to the adventure, he is awarded Tracking (having watched Joseph perform his ability). The note found is the map piece they located. This now makes the BP total 23 for the Lurkers to work with.

Next Scenario Title "Before the Gate to Hell".

I am introducing another new rule:

"STENCH":

When a Threshold team character begins his activation within 8 + 1d6 inches of the center of a STENCH causing location/item/creature, they have to perform a resolve test, applying any Stench Level modifier (as listed below) to the result:

Pass: No Effect

Fail: Player becomes uncontrollably nauseated. Roll another die. On even result, figure looses 1 action. On an odd result, figure looses 2 actions and cannot perform Ambush/Alert fire until his next activation.

There are different levels of stench which may be more disgusting than others. If STENCH is to be used in a scenario, the Lurker player rolls a die before starting play and consults the following table:

Roll      Result
1     Acrid: apply a -2 DRM to the Resolve Test.
2-3   Horrid: Apply a -1 DRM to the Resolve Test.
4-6   Disgusting: No modifier to the Resolve Test.

The roll for STENCH distance is performed by the Lurker player at the start of each turn before initiative is rolled for.

Lurker Force List (22 BPs)

1 x Strangler (4BPs)
3 x Stranglers with Tough Skin (18 BPs)

This is an encounter scenario in which Threshold enters the map from the east (short) board edge and the Lurkers come out of the Cave/Mine mouth on the west short board edge.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 04:15:03 PM by Litebrite »

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2015, 02:17:18 AM »
I have now added the two "Boss" monsters (Harbinger and Goliath) to the Lurker list in the first post of this thread.

Lembit

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2015, 02:08:57 PM »
Before the Gate to Hell

The board is layed out as shown in the teaser picture #1.

The party members rested until the following morning and made sure they had a good meal before getting back on the journey. Clive felt it in his bones that this search for James Purdue was nearing the end. They broke camp around 10 AM and proceeded at a cautious pace for the final leg of the journey to Smitty's Mine.  After 4 hours of traveling through the badlands, they saw a cliff face with a large cave mouth ahead. As they approached closer, they all got small wiffs of a nausiating rotting decay that came when the wind gusted from the west (Cave area). Once closer, they could see something really big and red in colour was still on the ground. Joseph took the lead on their approach to the cave/mine entrance....

Turn 1

Lurkers won the initiative. Stench is Acrid and rolled distance is 9" from the Harbinger model this turn.

Joseph moved up the trail slowly. He noticed there were no vultures about at all. You usually would expect these carrion birds to be flying over and feasting on the dead -- Maybe this large thing wasn't dead. He then spotted some movement from the Cave's mouth...

Having spotted the fresh food approaching, the 1st Strangler moved out of its shelter and went towards the left out of sight of the prey. Joseph yelled out to the rest of the group "Big mouth, Tentecle'd beasts are here and comming." It was still too far to shoot with his rifle, so he waited.

Clive and Clem moved up to either side of Joseph to see what they could.(See Pic 1)

Another 3 of the Stranglers moved out of the cave, two to the right so they are partially covered by the dead Harbinger and the other one following the first to the left. The second Strangler to move on the left came into range of Joseph's rifle and he fired, scored a wounding hit. (see Pic 2)

(See Pic 3 for end of turn 1)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 02:16:41 PM by Litebrite »

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2015, 04:12:08 PM »
Turn 2

Lurkers won initative again. Stench distance rolled: 14"

Clive moves up to take a shot at one of the Stranglers on his right. The wind gusts up and blows the disgustingly foul smell at him.  Clive gags and trys to hold back vomiting from the stench to no avail (he failed his relove test and lost his second action. He also will not be able to ambush fire until his next activation) (See Pic 1)

The wounded Strangler moves into the woods ahead of him.

Joseph moves over to the woods to his left to take a shot at the Strangler still in the open by the woods. He hits, but the bullet has no effect.

The Strangler on the left behind the Harbinger moves to his wounded pack mate in the woods. Clive trys to shoot at it, but his now dry heaves just won't let him. Joseph fires and hits, but the bullet bounces off the stranglers hide.

Clem decides that he had better stay where he is to provide cover fire when those creatures come out of the woods.

The other Strangler behind the Harbinger moves further to the right to where the fallen Hellbat is and keeping behind the Harbinger for protection. Joseph is out of range to fire and Clive still cann't. (See Pic 2)

The last Strangler moves up into the woods with his other two pack mates. (See Pic 3)

(See pic 4 for the end of Turn 2)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 04:20:27 PM by Litebrite »

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2015, 05:44:28 PM »
Turn 3

Threshold wins the initiative and elects Lurkers to move first. Stench Range rolled: 12", Note: for some reason, all the pics of turn 3 came out really blurry.

The Strangler on the right (behind the Harbinger) moves in behind the woods to his front getting ready to either move through the woods or charge at the prey, but right now not in their line of sight.

Clive (who no longer smells the acrid Stench) moves back to beside Joseph to await the onslaught. Now that he can speak, he says to the rest: "Don't get any closer to that huge dead thing. It smells somethin' horrible."

The Strangler on the left that is not in the woods, moves into the woods to get ready with its fellow pack mates to charge this prey.

Joseph waits to see what will happen.

The wounded Strangler moves through the woods to the far side. Clem spots it and takes a shot, but misses.

Clem now moves back, but stays in range to take another shot at the creature in the woods edge. He hits, but has no effect.

The other two stranglers move up through the woods.

Turn 4

Lurkers win Initiative. Stench Range 10",

The Strangler on the right charges around the woods and heads towards Clive and Joseph. Both of them fire and Joseph wounds the creature. It is then upon Joseph who has quickly drawn his trusty tomahawk. The two fight with Joseph hitting, but unable to wound the creature. (See Pic 1)

Clem now takes two shots at the Creature still in the edge of the woods. His first shot hits a tree beside the creature. His second shot misses.

One of the other Stranglers in the woods moves out and starts its charge towards the prey. It comes into range of Clem, who shoots and sees the creature jerk when hit, but again the bullet does not cause any damage. (See Pic 2)

Clive charges into the melee to hopefully be rid of this one so that they can deal with the others, but the Strangler sweeps one of its tentacles around in a great arc hitting Clive in the side. Clive hears bones crack and he fades into the sleep of unconsciousness (Major Wound).

Joseph activates to melee with his opponent. After trading ineffective blows, he feels a great strength imbue him and he drives his Tomahawk in for a killing blow. (See Pic 3)

The second Strangler moves out but stays out of range of Clem's gun range.

The Strangler decides to wait (since he is wounded already) and then pounce when his pack mates have engaged the prey.

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2015, 07:01:11 PM »
Turn 5

Threshold won the Initiative. Stench rolled range: 9"

Joseph fires twice at the closest creature to him. He causes one wound on the thing.

The Wounded Strangler at the edge of the woods charges out towards Clem. Clem takes his shot and successfuly hits and wounds the thing causing it to drop dead.

Clem now aims at the creature that Joseph wounded just moments before. He hits and Kills that one. He yells out "That's two, Woohoo!!!"

The remaining Strangler having watched Clem take down two of its pack mates decides he is the most dangerous target, so charges him.  Joseph and Clem both fire at it and Joseph this time causes a wound on the creature. Clem misses. The creature makes it into contact with Clem who has drawn his fighting knife.  Neither of them hit the other (draw-- even though Clem is rolling 1 die only. See Pic 1.

Turn 6

Lurkers win the initative. Stench rolled range is 13".

The Strangler goes to strike Clem but slips and falls somehow (critical failure) Clem drives home his fighting knife into the things head killing it. Clem shouts out "Hot-digity-dog, I'se got the mojo today,". His elation becomes subdued when he looks over at Clive on the ground. Both he and Joseph rush over and examine Clive. It doesn't look good.  His wounds are severe (crippled result on Injury Table)

To be continued tomorrow....
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 07:05:15 PM by Litebrite »

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2015, 11:33:54 PM »
Joseph and Clem stayed watchful until Clive regained consiouness after a couple of hours.

During that time they searched the area and found a satchel filled with 8 sticks of dynamite, another with bandages and some flasks of whiskey (which they both heartily took swigs from).

It was evident that the battle that James Purdue and his companion had fought was vicious and deadly.  The gigantic winged creature had been killed by James in what looked to be by trusting a stick of dynamite into the creatures mouth and having it exploding there.  The creature must have fallen right onto James, crushing him to death while it died. James' compatriot (paperwork found on the man identified him as Hector Ompas from New Mexico) looked to have been poisoned to death by the number of bites on him and the hideously contored face of Hector. The stench from the dead creatures was quite bad and both Joseph and Clem had to often move away to stop themselves from continously vomiting.

They used bandages from the satchel to bind up Clives obviously broken ribs (it was better to do this while he was unconcious). After awake, Clive tried to get up and then realized that his back was hurt as well and that he would be only 1/2 as mobile/active as he was before. Clem found some branches that would work as crutches for Clive.

They all then agreed that they would finish the job that James had come to do and blow the entrance to the cave/mine so that no more evil creatures could enter our world from the depths of hell they came from. Clem had worked with dynamite before and said that he would set up the explosion to bring the ceiling down. Clive and Joseph watched so as to guard Clem as he went into the Cave's entrance about 20 feet. Just as he was about to light the fuses, a female's scream erupted from further down in the mine. Clem rushes outside to let Clive and Joseph know what he just heard.  Clive looks at them both and says "We can't leave her in there to face the horrors, we have to rescue her." Joseph and Clem agree....

Next Scenario: Into the Mouth of Hell,,,
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 10:25:56 PM by Litebrite »

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2015, 11:51:17 PM »
I can't wait to read the next scenario and what is happening. The fighting is beginning to take a toll on the brave adventurers that lost a valuable fourth gun early on, and struggling against the never ending Forces of Darkness is wearing them down with Clive hampered!!! At the edge of my seat how this will end!! Will they make the ultimate sacrifice in saving Mankind?

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2015, 03:13:08 PM »
Our schedules have been full with familial events and we haven't been able to get together and play the next scenario yet. We likely will be getting together next Thursday to play. So. here is the the wrap up for the last scenario and the Intro trailer for the next scenario.

Post Game

Threshold has won again. No rolled advancement, but with the automatic success, Clem is given the  skill of "Tough".

Lurker Force for "Into the Mouth of Hell" (23 BPs)

1 x Goliath with "Screams of the Damned" enhancement (20+3=23BPs).

-------------------------------------------------

There is no time to rest for the group. Clem pulls out the three remaining whiskey flasks from the satchel bag they had found and hands one to each of them. They all open the flasks and look at each other knowingly while raiseing their flasks in a silent toast. Then they take a quick swig of liquid courage.

They enter the mouth to the cave. As they get to the point where Clem had set the dynamite, Clem retrieves the sticks he placed. He just knows they will likely need them if the scene of death outside is any indicator of what lies ahead.

They also find a lantern on the ground. Clem lites it up.  It provides light for about a 10" radius from it.

After a few more minutes, Joseph in the lead, points to the floor. They all look down and see what appears to be a creature's foot imprint. It is as wide as the width of a man. All of them shudder slightly, but know in their hearts, that this is only to be expected. 

After about another 15 minutes of decent into the mine-cave, a faint glow appears in the distance ahead. Joseph stops and signals them to be quiet.  They all listen and just very faintly, they hear the sobs of a woman crying. Clem closes the shutters to the lantern and they move ahead slowly.....

Offline Grumbling Grognard

• Scientist
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2015, 04:40:52 PM »
Very, very nice reports.  Thank you very much!

Can you tell me where you got your "Stranglers"?  They look like a D&D pre-painted plastic of some sort....and a darn nice fit for stranglers too!  I really like the looks of them!

Thanks again for taking the time to snap pics and post these!

Scott
Scott Clinton
(aka The Grumbling Grognard)