Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:18:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690460
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Retro Raygun available NOW!  (Read 5694 times)

Offline Hydra

• Bookworm
    • Hydra Miniatures
Retro Raygun available NOW!
« on: April 08, 2015, 04:24:39 PM »
Greetings, Cadets!:

We have begun our countdown to the launch of our Retro Raygun rules on Friday, April 17, 2015. Retro Raygun is a tabletop adventure game that uses our 32mm retro sci-fi miniatures. This full-color, 102 page rulebook is full of evocative artwork and lavish photographs that caprture the feel of the Golden Age of Sci-Fi. The book features the full game mechanics, force lists for Galacteers, Robot Legion and Valkeeri, six scenarios, and a Galactic Bestiary featuring an assortment of slithering aliens. Retro Raygun will retail for $40.00 and will be available from the Hydra Miniatures webstore. Hobby shops who want to stock our Retro Raygun rules and miniatures can get them from our distributor Warpath Games (Golden Distributing). Wargames Emporium, our retail partner in the UK, is accepting pre-orders for the rulebook and will have the full ranges of our War Rocket and Retro Raygun miniatures at Salute.

Here are a few sample images of the actual rulebook:

We also completed a promotional video talking about the Retro Raygun rulebook. I'm not sure how to post a Youtube video in a post, but here is an external link:

We've had a blast developing Retro Raygun and we hope you enjoy it as well!

Matt Beauchamp
Hydra Miniatures
www.hydraminiatures.com

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 01:05:49 AM by Hydra »
Matt Beauchamp
Hydra Miniatures
www.hydraminiatures.com

Steve63

Re: (Commercial) Retro Raygun rules coming April 17th, 2015
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 05:11:40 PM »
God bless you sir, launching a game without a kickstarter
And your game looks AWESOME...  The minis certainly are.
Aw what the hell, I've been wanting to get some  Valkeeri for a while now and with a UK distributor I've got no excuse.  Put me down for a copy.
Cheers

Offline Hydra

• Bookworm
    • Hydra Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 05:23:20 PM »
Thanks for your compliments, Steve.  We toyed with the idea of doing a Kickstarter, but I think gamers are starting to burn out from Kickstarter fatigue.  Almost all of the models featured in the Retro Raygun rulebook have been completed and you can play with 2-3 units per side and a handful of characters. We will be producing new miniatures for upcoming forces: Zenithians (Saucermen from the Seventh Dimension), Space Pirates, and the Emprie of Marduk (Mesopotamian version of Ming the Merciless).

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 10:35:37 PM »
I'm interested. Are there any photos of how yor figs scale with the usual suspects?

Offline Hydra

• Bookworm
    • Hydra Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 11:28:05 PM »
@hubbabubba:

Here is a sample photo of our figures compared to other retro/pulp sci-fi manufacturers:

(From left to right:WSD Dick Garrison; Hydra Ace McGuire and Killer B Capt. Gamma)

In addition, you can go to our 'downloads' page and print out catalog sheets. Print them at 100% and then lay other figures on the sheet to get an idea of scale. I've included a direct link below:

http://www.hydraminiatures.com/downloads/Galacteer%20Catalogue.pdf

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 11:39:25 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing the new figures, especially the pirates.

What will the Marduk guys look like?  A bit Stargate + 1980s Flash Gordon, somehow?  Plus your own twist, of course.   :)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 01:11:28 AM »
Any thought to melding with War Rocket? What first comes to mind is a battle ON a ship, but the scenarios Daring Rescue and Evacuation almost sound like such thoughts have been brewing awhile.  o_o

Doug

Offline Hydra

• Bookworm
    • Hydra Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 02:09:52 AM »
@ErikB:  The Imperial troops of Marduk will be heavily influenced by ancient Assyrian and Persian cultures--with rayguns!  They also have auxiliary troops from tribute worlds like the Worm Men of Nemotodis and the Dragon Men of Draconia.

@The_Beast:  Retro Raygun and War Rocket both take place in the Retroverse, so it is natural to have linked scenarios between the two systems.  However, we have not given specific rules or procedures for how to do this.  Our fans are very creative and will easily be able to integrate the rule sets to play scenarios like "Daring Rescue" and "Evacuation."   I even have 30mm Valkeeri class 2 that I'm sculpting for use in some of the scenarios.  
Hopefully it'll be available in the future as an expanded resin foam casting.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 02:29:42 AM »
Glad to see forward momentum on this range.  I love the old-timey pulp serial aesthetic of your ranges.  I'm definitely going to get some Valkeeri and the rules.
This is my boomstick!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 03:03:37 AM »
Time to dust off the Galacteers I have in one of my many boxes (Robot Legion, too...  ::) ). Time permitting...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 02:09:20 PM »
@The_Beast: ...I even have 30mm Valkeeri class 2 that I'm sculpting for use in some of the scenarios. Hopefully it'll be available in the future as an expanded resin foam casting.

Ah, the hypno-eyes appear to be working; that damn toad better watch out!

Another idea, maybe also fan creations, is deck plans for the ships; I'm thinking, especially for the class IV's, battles for boarding parties, assaults while in port, or even mutinies.

After all, even old Shadowrun told us, 'Never do a deal with a Dragon...' ...man. For Marduks ARE crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

My, how I do go on...

Doug

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 04:15:47 PM »
I think boarding actions make very good sense as scenarios.

I can also envision something a little like the Borg ships for the Robot Legions and their ships.  Lots of parts all over, internal security turned off if no breaking-in alarm was sounded, robot drones walking around like mummies, oblivious to the boarders until either an alarm is tripped or there is gunfire, that kind of stuff.  Maybe even cages for "biomorphs" (i.e. human or alien prisoners).  That would be spooky and very pulpy.  Boarding the ship and freeing the prisoners would be a classic mission idea.

And a royal aesthetic with a throne for the captain for one culture, a bunch of computer work stations for another aesthetic, sunken work stations for crew and raised walkways for the officers (think Star Wars imperials) for yet another... there's a lot of cool stuff that could be done with the interiors of ships and each race could have an entirely different theme.

I see some great modelling projects coming out of this.  It would help if Hydra (not Capt. America's Hydra) would come assign these various aesthetics to each race.  :)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 06:32:42 PM »
I see some great modelling projects coming out of this.  It would help if Hydra (not Capt. America's Hydra) would come assign these various aesthetics to each race.  :)

Or even the resurrection of some old Dwarven Forge Sci Fi sets...  :D

You know how some designers hate it when the fanboys take an idea and go crazy with it? Can't you just imagine Hydra's neighbors in Detroit wondering what all that screaming and gibbering is about?  lol

Okay, I'm unworthy of the title fanboy, but I do play one on TV...

Doug

Edit: Huh. So, I'm finally on a machine that can run YouTube fairly well, and I'm seeing my ideas already on the screen. You could have told me I was reinventing the wheel, Hydra.  ::)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 07:30:52 PM by The_Beast »

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 06:32:56 PM »
Can't wait to see the book :)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 01:14:56 PM »
So, has anybody SEEN the book yet?  ;)

Doug