Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:49:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690582
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 728
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Retro Raygun available NOW!  (Read 5696 times)

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
Re: (Commercial) Retro Raygun rules coming April 17th, 2015
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 01:27:15 PM »
My came two days ago. Great, very good book.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 09:23:23 PM »
I received mine. Good looking, clearly laid out, nice variety of photos and hand art. I'm impressed.

I played the rules at GenCon- simple and quick, and also fun.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Hydra

• Bookworm
    • Hydra Miniatures
Re: (Commercial) Retro Raygun ravailable NOW!
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 12:17:52 AM »
There have been some questions that potential customers have been asking about the game:

Is Retro Raygun a skirmish game or a mass combat game?

Retro Raygun fits somewhere in between skirmish and mass combat games.  However, unlike many wargames each model in a squad does not fire individually or remove individual casualties. In Retro Raygun, squads activate, attack and suffer damage as a single entity with its own set of combat stats and special abilities. Squads do not lose individual models and instead suffer the effects of combat as a single entity. For example, when a basic Robot Legion squad of five models receives a "scatter " result in combat, all 5 models are removed from the table. Game play in Retro Raygun is heavily abstracted and it may seem weird at first, the results are very cinematic and really reflect the feel of pulp sci-fi.

How many models are used in a typical Retro Raygun game? How are the forces different?

Most scenarios work best with 2-3 units and a handful of heroes. Galacteer forces typically use 1-3 Galacteer squads. Since Galacteers have the most heroes, it's fun to use most (all) of them. Robot Legion forces usually use two legionnaire squads, and 1-2 hordes of minibots/hoverbots. With the exception of Mechanika, the robots don't have named heroes per se and use Centurions (generic heroes.) The Valkeeri have the most variability. If you are doing a capturing mission, use Valkeeri squads since they have the stun property. Add in Rocket Sleds and Panther hordes is you want a fast strike force. However, the Valkeeri forces are limited to 3 heroines so far: Empress Xenovia, Princess Alluria, and Zephyra (rocket sled heroine).

How is action resolved?

All combat and skill tests are resolved using the Raygun Roll-off, a dice mechanic where players do an opposed roll using a variable number of dice based on the units' stat and bouses.  Unlike many games, each action is resolved in one Raygun Roll-off.  You do not need to make 3-4 rolls to reach an resolution to an action (i.e., roll to hit, roll to damage, roll to save.)  It is an elegant, abstract system that does not use charts.

Please feel free to ask me additional questions on this thread. If you are going to Salute, stop by the Wargames Emporium booth and take a look at the rulebook in person.  You can learn more by joining our Hydra Miniatures' Facebook group. It can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/hydraminiatures/

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 12:19:43 AM by Hydra »
Matt Beauchamp
Hydra Miniatures
www.hydraminiatures.com

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 08:56:00 AM »
@hubbabubba:

Here is a sample photo of our figures compared to other retro/pulp sci-fi manufacturers:

In addition, you can go to our 'downloads' page and print out catalog sheets. Print them at 100% and then lay other figures on the sheet to get an idea of scale. I've included a direct link below:

http://www.hydraminiatures.com/downloads/Galacteer%20Catalogue.pdf

Thanks