Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:41:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686616
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 395622 times)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Oh! This one is really ute!

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
The Jack in the Green looks great!

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Love him! Where's he from originally? I've got a while pile of smaller Kev Adams goblins to do *something* with eventually, he'd be a great addition.

Not dropped in on recent updates, the gnoll came out great!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, all!

Jagannath: he's a Citadel goblin from 1987 - the first range that Kev Adams did on his own. The preceding C12 range was done by the Perrys and Adams, and had lots of Perry-style "orcy" goblins. But the droopy noses and manic grins came into their own with the 1987 crop.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 02:45:07 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline Severian

• Scientist
Great use of that goblin!

I like the idea of a forest dwellers DR warband. You could always garnish it with some of the very striking wealdgeist from Conquest games, or something from Northumbrian TS's Nightfolk range. But equally, repurposed goblins would work well on their own, I reckon.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Thanks, all!

Jagannath: he's a Citadel goblin from 1987 - the first range that Kev Adams did on his own. The preceding C12 range was done by the Perrys and Adams, and had lots of Perry-style "orcy" goblins. But the droopy noses and manic grins came into their own with the 1987 crop.

Thanks dude, I’ll keep an eye out for him.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Great use of that goblin!

Thanks!

I like the idea of a forest dwellers DR warband. You could always garnish it with some of the very striking wealdgeist from Conquest games, or something from Northumbrian TS's Nightfolk range. But equally, repurposed goblins would work well on their own, I reckon.

Those are excellent suggestions - thanks! Though things have been busy lately, I have another 12 Jacks-in-the-Green just about done (eyes and bases to be finished) and another dozen or so based up. One of them is a Kev Adams orc. Oddly enough, his mid-80s orcs have a foresty feel about them, with most of them sporting hoods. So I'm planning to paint up a few of those in the same style (all in green, bronze weapons). I can probably find a place for them in our RPG sessions, but they'll serve as elite foot (the Ruglud's armoured orcs) or light missiles or bellicose foot in Dragon Rampant. Some of the goblins are big and heavily armoured, so they'll mix in well with the orcs for wargaming purposes - all in corroded bronze hauberks. And then there are the chariots - I think I've got two or three of those at least. I'm also planning to pick up Saga, which I've never played, and I think the Jack-in-the-Greens might map to one Dark Age force or another easily enough.

Here are my thoughts on how the Jacks-in-the-Green will work in D&D/Whitehack.

Offline Severian

• Scientist
I like your Jack-in-the-Green ideas a lot; all sorts of potential fun there.

Looking forward to seeing more of them painted!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks!

Here are a few more. The one with the boulder is a war-machine crewman, but he'll double up as both a stone-throwing Jack-in-the-Green and a 15mm forest troll.

Online Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
1.  How do you pump out so many, well painted figures.
2.  Is your painting getting better, compared to the start of this thread?
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline ink the troll

• Scientist
Lovable little miscreants. That light green skin colour suits them well and combined with the earthy colours of their clothing really makes them look like mischievous forrest sprites.
sanity is for cowards

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, both!

1.  How do you pump out so many, well painted figures.

I almost never watch TV, preferring podcasts or radio. My wife, on the other hand, is as partial to Scandi noir as the next person (and has a lot of art projects of her own). So that creates a nice spot of evening space once the kids are in bed. But other than that, I use various strategies to keep things as fast as possible - either pre-shading over a white undercoat (as here) or using drybrushing techniques from a black gesso undercoat. I posted a couple of tutorials around page 63 of this thread, if memory serves.

The other incentive for fast painting is use in games. In running RPGs for my kids and their friends, it always helps to have some fresh monsters. And there's a bit of parents-and-kids skirmish gaming going on now, too, which provides a further incentive to come up with some new stuff.

One more thing is that I tend to base and undercoat and even start miniatures in large batches, before concentrating on getting a few finished. I've got hundreds of semi-painted miniatures sitting around in drawers, so when I decide to, I can usually get a few finished off pretty quickly.

Finally, I'm by no means a perfectionist! If something looks more or less all right, I'm inclined to call it done and move onto the next thing.

2.  Is your painting getting better, compared to the start of this thread?

That's really for others to say! But I think so: for example, the skaven I painted recently are certainly better than the ones I did three years ago (like the one on the hill on page 2 of this thread), mainly because of better colour choices. And I'm confident that they're all a lot better than the teenage efforts on page 4 of this thread, which is the main thing!

Offline Severian

• Scientist
The extra Jacks-in-the-Green are splendid - I particularly like what you've done with their faces. The boulder-chucker is very effective (in both scales).

Like (I suspect) many of us, I also have boxes and drawers full of primed and prepared and half-painted figures; and at any one time, there are usually two or three dozen on the painting table in various advanced stages of incompletion. What's impressive (leaving aside the quality of your stuff) is your consistent success in getting batches of the blighters over the finishing line. Mine tend to get stuck at the final fence and hang about for ages nine-tenths done....and I don't watch television either!. (Saying that, I do have a few things finished but unphotographed.)

Anyway, keep them coming!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks!

Anyway, keep them coming!

Your wish ...

I was planning to finish off the other Jacks, but these skaven were even lower-hanging fruit, as I'd blocked in the base colours earlier. This is my fastest method: block colours except metals, drybrush silver grey, metals, washes and touch-up/details. I did the black one last week at some point; he was even quicker.

We had a fatal skirmish with were-rats in our last Whitehack session, so I'm going to need a lot of these squeakers when the PCs go back to avenge their fallen comrade.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Your speed painting is really amazing. The skaven look pretty good (though I like the goblins even more)!