Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:21:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689586
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 401311 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Your speed painting is really amazing. The skaven look pretty good (though I like the goblins even more)!

Thanks! I posted a quick 'how to' on my blog at lunchtime.

The goblins are certainly more carefully done, and they probably benefit from being done in several short bursts over several evenings.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Thanks! I posted a quick 'how to' on my blog at lunchtime.

The goblins are certainly more carefully done, and they probably benefit from being done in several short bursts over several evenings.

Awesome! I have to try this soon!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks!

Work's been horrendously busy over the last few weeks (and we were away exporing castles for the long weekend), so I've made little progress this week. But I got this old Marauder beastman from eBay for a quid and decieded to paint him up straight away. He's not one of Marauder's best, but he does look like a proper broo, especially with the javelin. So I decided to paint him up quickly, as a fore-runner for the couple of dozen Citadel broo I have lurking around the place.

I did him with the same speed technique as the skaven: black undercoat, base colours, drybrush, wash and touch-up.

I also have a lot more Jacks-in-the-Green in various stages of progress; here are batch of finished and almost finished ones.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
those goblins are gorgeous. I'm generally not a fan of that style of gobbo, but the way you're painted them makes them really pop!
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks! They weren't my favourites either, but I'm warming to them now.

Here's an experiment. I chanced across this YouTube video and was impressed by the technique: painting almost entirely with washes. I tried it out last night. It's extremely fast - I got this done in an hour in which I was also cooking dinner (putting washes on between slicing and stirring).

Now, the results are nothing special - but batch painting in this way would be extraordinarily quick. I'm going to try it on models like this one that would otherwise linger entirely unpainted. The only paint (rather than washes) that I used was on the eyes and the metals, plus a dab of white on the teeth and a little thinned black on sloping recessses where the washes hadn't lingered.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
That's a great result - I think it would work really well in a multi-basing situation, where the overall effect is different. I think I've seen that video - do they use a GW ork too? I tried it on some 15s a while ago and just couldn't get it to work - I guess the 'gradient' inherent in the detail (i.e. smaller details are less 'steep' than larger scale details) has an effect. It'd be interesting to try it and experiment with the underlying white primer - gesso has a lot more porousness than, for example, a solvent based spray.

I've been looking at your thread a lot again recently - I want to do a multi-basing project and I'm thinking of doing it in *shock horror* 28mm, so will definitely need to paint more quickly.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
That looks really effective! I'll have to give that a go myself as I'v a whole batch of figures in the "I'll get around to that when i can be bothered" pile. Something that quick might give me incentive to get going.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
Well if this result took an hour, then it might indeed be ideal, as others habe said, for larger groups of 28mm models.

I’ll check the link and see what can be done, I’ve recently tried your „normal“ speedpainting technique on a 20mm barbarian used as a 15mm giant and it worked not too bad for my taste (http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=108985.15) scroll down, the blueish guy.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, both!

That's a great result - I think it would work really well in a multi-basing situation, where the overall effect is different. I think I've seen that video - do they use a GW ork too?

Yes - there's another video with an orc unit. And yes, I think this would be perfect for multi-basing. My first thought was how easy it would be to do a HotT army using this technique and those big GW orcs. You'd only be able to fit two to a base, so, allowing for a hero and a magician, you'd get a full 24-point army out of 20 figures. I've already cast an eye towards the GW savage orcs: 20 to a box, with plausible hero and shaman, plus bow options, allowing for (say) three shooter bases, a hero, magician and five warband bases - plus two individually based figures to allow for casualties in Dragon Rampant.

The indulgent project I have in mind would be to clean them and spray them the night before, then get the entire army done in a single day. And then perhaps expand with ordinary orcs for blades or spears, boar riders for beasts and even space orks for shooters/artillery, so that a 72-point invasion force could be created to face a grand alliance of defenders ...

I tried it on some 15s a while ago and just couldn't get it to work - I guess the 'gradient' inherent in the detail (i.e. smaller details are less 'steep' than larger scale details) has an effect. It'd be interesting to try it and experiment with the underlying white primer - gesso has a lot more porousness than, for example, a solvent based spray.

Oddly enough, I'd just started some 15mm AA orcs when I read your comment! Not sure how they'll turn out, but I think you're right about the scale difference. I did some 28mm snakemen last night with it, and they've turned out fine, I think.

I've been looking at your thread a lot again recently - I want to do a multi-basing project and I'm thinking of doing it in *shock horror* 28mm, so will definitely need to paint more quickly.

Can't wait to see that! Do you have any particular game system in mind? I used my 28mm HoTT chaos hordes in D&D last weekend. It was a lot of fun to have great swarms of enemies: no individual stats, just plenty of hit points and attacks, but low attack value and AC. There's just something inherently satisfying about multi-based miniatures.

Sunjester - yes, it seems a great way to cut through swathes of undercoated but otherwise untouched miniatures. I've tried painting the odd figure entirely with washes before (I have a chaos warrior who's been 'almost there' for three years now), but I was surprised by how well the browns and sepias worked over plain white undercoat.

DivisMal - an hour including cooking dinner! It's perfect for batch painting because the major hold-up is waiting for the washes to dry. I got three snakemen done in two hours last night, and they're much fiddlier than this orc.

Nice work on that giant!

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Ooh looking forward to the snakemen - I keep putting off buying those Northstar ones for a science-fantasy Rogue Planet project, because I’ve already got too many projects! And really, if I could find the minis, that’s one I’d like to keep in 15mm.

No plans on rules for multibasinng - I like Mayhem, which might work. I’m thinking of using 40mm squares, 3 ‘normal’ infantry as the standard.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius

DivisMal - an hour including cooking dinner! It's perfect for batch painting because the major hold-up is waiting for the washes to dry. I got three snakemen done in two hours last night, and they're much fiddlier than this orc.

Nice work on that giant!

Well that’s an important detail. Maybe I should move my paintstation into the kitchen and „create“ hobby time out of practical chores  lol

Thanks. The giant was a bendy soft-plastic mini with good details, the silver drybrush gave it a nice highlighting.

Now I want to see your attempt to fast paint 15mm orcs!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
Ooh looking forward to the snakemen - I keep putting off buying those Northstar ones for a science-fantasy Rogue Planet project, because I’ve already got too many projects! And really, if I could find the minis, that’s one I’d like to keep in 15mm.

Yeah, the temptation of multiple scales...I know it, too, and try to be strong! :?

Who will do a 15mm Science Fantasy line?  :-*

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Yeah, the temptation of multiple scales...I know it, too, and try to be strong! :?

Who will do a 15mm Science Fantasy line?  :-*

It would be the first thing I’d fund if I could afford it! Somewhere between masters of the universe, the old Void line, and rogue trader orks. One day!!

Sorry to derail Hobgoblin!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
It would be the first thing I’d fund if I could afford it! Somewhere between masters of the universe, the old Void line, and rogue trader orks. One day!!

That does sound good - although part of me thinks that it's hard to beat 28mm kitbashing for science-fantasy ...

Sorry to derail Hobgoblin!

Keep it coming! Derailing = conversation: it's all good!

Here are the speed-painted snakemen. The yellow and blue opened-mouth one were done entirely with washes (apart from metals and eyes), while the green one was a bit of a hybrid. The final photo shows them with the black-undercoated ones I did earlier.

The new ones are fast and sloppy, but they were very quick to do. Just don't look too closely ...

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Those are absolutely smashing - Right, I’m ordering some and some white primer! What’s the score with the green one - glazing over a yellow base?

I think you’re right about kitbashing for science-fantasy though, 15mm is also a bit trickier for ‘dynamic’ minis too - still, a man can dream!