Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:11:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 534
Total: 540

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 401388 times)

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Just wondering if that wash technique would work on 15mm?

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy

I'm now away from my painting table for more than a month  :'(, but I'll certainly try it. I have big ambitions on the old Grenadier 15mm Warlord range. IMO the same problem: Nice sculpts, but since they are not as exaggerated as modern minis, they take quite some time to shade.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks. I need to try that. Drakenhof, then Nuln. This might be a very good recipe for all those old skool minis which are awesome in their way, but difficult to paint, because exaggerated details weren't in fashion, yet.

Yes, I think that's right. I prepared some Asgard orcs this morning before work. Not sure if I'm going to do them in the same colour scheme as the Ral Partha ones. I'm thinking maybe of almost reversing the scheme, so that the faces of the Asgard orcs are rendered sallow with sepia and their cloaks are blue/black like the skins of the RP orcs. I don't have nearly so many of the Asgard ones, but I've probably got a good 20 or so, so there's enough for a few RPG encounters.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry

I've started to use it on some 15mm Alternative Armies orcs I had lying around. So far, it's too early to tell! You definitely get very bright colours from it, which helps at that scale, but there may not always be enough detail for the washes to pick out. I'll try to finish them off tonight or tomorrow and post a photo.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Cheers Justin, I have been buying tonnes of the Battle Valor Orcs and Goblins. Need a quick way to get them painted.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 01:38:18 PM by swiftnick »

Offline joshuaslater

• Scientist
Hobgoblin, did you prime with black or white on these Orcs?  I want to try the Drakenhof Nightshade / Nuln Oil combination!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Hobgoblin, did you prime with black or white on these Orcs?  I want to try the Drakenhof Nightshade / Nuln Oil combination!

Hi Joshua,

These are all primed with white. The GW orcs were just primed white. But I'd already "preshaded" the Ral Partha orcs with Agrax Earthshade over the white primer and then drybrushed them white again.

In both cases, I used Drakenhof first, then Nuln Oil.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
I made a start on the Asgard orcs last night using just washes and metals over preshading (white spray, Agrax, white drybrush). Early days yet, but I think the sepia wash gives a suitably Tolkienesque sallowness.

As with the Ral Partha orcs, these are such small and detailed miniatures that just using washes is a mercy! I may add the odd highlight to the flesh once the eyes and lips are done, but I'm going to aim to keep it minimal.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Nice work!
 :-* :-*

I have a whole bunch os these little beauties and was considering doing something similar given the fiddliness of some of them.
It looks like the right approach so I shall certainly keep my eyes open for the final result.
 :)

Offline joshuaslater

• Scientist
Thanks!!!  It looks like an order for some white primer is in my future!

Offline Severian

• Scientist
Lovely work on those wash-painted guys.

I've had tech issues for the past week so haven't commented on your past few posts though I've been watching with great interest. New laptop now, and they look even better.

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
These wash-painted orcs look great. The technique reminds me of the "stain-painting" that Duke Seifried used to advocate.

Very interested to see how the Asgard orcs turn out!

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Your wash technique is great.  I have tried to replicate it with a couple of figures but never managed to get it right.  Clearly there is a bit more skill to this than meets the eye.
Those Asgard orcs are nice, pity that they are small.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
They have a variety of sizes in the range. The big ones are easily human sized. Check out Viking forge for these guys.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, all!

Ethelread - as beefcake says, the Asgard orcs range from hobbit-sized to pretty hefty. The soldier-orcs strike me as the best Uruk-hai ever made.

I'm going to finish off a batch of ruins tonight to use in Rogue Planet tomorrow evening. The small clump in the foreground with some patches of greenery is done; the others need a drybrush and some work on the bases.

Blue-foam bricks would make more authentic sandstone blocks, but I'm willing to overlook the pitted surfaces of these and the lack of close-up detail fro the sheer speed with which you can build stuff with them. I made five of these after coming home from work today (taking advantage of the evening heat to dry the pumice gel on the bases very quickly).