Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:41:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 401764 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
And some bought-on-a-whim and quickly done 40K baddies. They'll probably find their way into tomorrow's Rogue Planet.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
And the ruins - done for now, though I'll be making some more shortly.

Offline number1section1

• Bookworm
Nice ruins! Was the Nurgle marines done using your wash method? They look fantastic for being quickly done!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks!

Yes - the only paints used on them were metallics, a bit of silver-grey highlighting at the very end, whites for the eyes and red on the goggle eyes. Otherwise it was GW washes all the way. I just slopped on a layer of something every so often while I was painting other things.

Offline number1section1

• Bookworm
I must admit to wanting to try painting some of the newer GW models, as well as using the wash painting method but funds and time won't allow at the moment. I wonder if regular diluted model paints would work instead of the GW washes.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
I wonder if regular diluted model paints would work instead of the GW washes.

They will. I have on several occasions by accident thinned paint a bit too much, and when painting on white primer, the effect is pretty similar to a wash.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
Those guys look great... i'm a HUGE fan of washes!!
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, all!

I wonder if regular diluted model paints would work instead of the GW washes.

I'm a bit more sceptical than Argonor about this. If you scroll down from here, you can see some stages of my typical process with thinned paint before washes - both in the line-up and on the single orc below.

What I find is that the washes create much darker shadows (rather than pools of colour), so I generally use them over thinned paint and a white undercoat (when I'm not using either black undercoat or this wash-only method). I think you could get away with just using one or two washes, though: GW's brown or sepia, perhaps, and maybe the "Camo" green.

Here are some dungeon monsters that I painted up a few weeks back for a D&D session in London. The (adult) players didn't delve deep enough to meet them (despite a total of ten hours' gameplay over the weekend), but the kids have since encountered the carrion crawler. These were quickly painted over black gesso - drybrush and wash all or most of the way.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
It feels vaguely criminal to be posting photos of miniatures on a day like this, but as we're off up a hill shortly, here's a Ral Partha demon:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 08:05:42 AM by Hobgoblin »

Offline randycarter

• Scientist
Thanks, all!

I'm a bit more sceptical than Argonor about this. If you scroll down from here, you can see some stages of my typical process with thinned paint before washes - both in the line-up and on the single orc below.

What I find is that the washes create much darker shadows (rather than pools of colour), so I generally use them over thinned paint and a white undercoat (when I'm not using either black undercoat or this wash-only method). I think you could get away with just using one or two washes, though: GW's brown or sepia, perhaps, and maybe the "Camo" green.

I'm experimenting in thinning colours with water and medium, using them as washes. This give me much more freedom in chosing colours.
It's also true that nothin forbids me mixing washes to obtain new tones...

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
The dungeon beasties look great, particularly the Mind Flayer!

Offline Severian

• Scientist
Splendid work on these. That RP demon is excellent. Just washes again?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, both!

Splendid work on these. That RP demon is excellent. Just washes again?

More or less. I used a bit of thinned-down silver grey for highlights at the end and started with thinned-down Kislev Flesh instead of pre-shading. But otherwise just washes.

I've always loved this miniature: he used to come with a choice of heads, but this is a single-piece casting. He strikes me as the sort of demon Moorcock's Eternal Champion might encounter in some crumbling ruin or other.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Heh.  Ral Partha metal, really?  Haven't seen one of those in years, but they were redone in Mage Knight a while back and were all over the secondary market for stupidly low prices (guess they were a Common).  Painted several of them in that format, the plastic version kept the detail much better than I would have expected.

Online DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Oh that demon is simply great. Love the sculpt so much, and your painting does it more than justice. Nice and elegant.